What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 overrated players of all time?

Dingo_dan

Juniors
Sam Burgess. Often put in the same category as Sonny Bill Williams and Jason Taumalolo when they are several levels above him.

Still a great player, but not on that level. Also was a very grubby player.
Sam, at his best, was as good as them.

But that was few and far between. At his worst, he was downright diabolical.

His first stint, up until the last 10 weeks of 2014, was very inconsistent. But those last 10 weeks of 2014 was as good as any forward could produce, and I think his 2014 grand final is in fact an underrated performance. People always say 'his brothers played better, he only got it because he broke his face', but untrue. Yes his brothers ran for more metres, but Sam still ran for something insane like 180m himself. He came up several massive defensive plays, he was making the hard runs to gain momentum in sets that his brothers then captilised. His offload led to the Korisau break that ended in Georges try.

That was the problem when he returned though. People expected (and talked about him) as that late 2014 player. But his return was more like 2010-June 2014. Alot good, some bad, occasionally diabolical, injuries and suspensions.

TheDalek079

Bench
Sam Burgess. Often put in the same category as Sonny Bill Williams and Jason Taumalolo when they are several levels above him.

Still a great player, but not on that level. Also was a very grubby player.

I think that last part is very important. People like to think of Slammin Sam as an old school enforcer, but an enforcer is not a coward who squeezes testicles or eye gouges or pulls the hair of a one game rookie

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
I think that last part is very important. People like to think of Slammin Sam as an old school enforcer, but an enforcer is not a coward who squeezes testicles or eye gouges or pulls the hair of a one game rookie

The judiciary caught up with him later in his career, but earlier in his career, Burgess could get away with anything.

gUt

Coach
Some deranged peanut mentioned Allan Langer. That's some stinky, stinky burley.

Presumably it was a Canberra fan still bitter at the memory of knowing their champion team had to carry Ricky Stuart at halfback and therefore giving up how many more premierships.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
Dave Taylor should rate a mention
Not really.

During his career maybe.

But even 5 years before he retired the perception of David Taylor was that he was a lazy bugger who wasted so much potential, one of rugby league biggest disappointments. I think DT is adequately rated

Some deranged peanut mentioned Allan Langer. That's some stinky, stinky burley.

Presumably it was a Canberra fan still bitter at the memory of knowing their champion team had to carry Ricky Stuart at halfback and therefore giving up how many more premierships.

Yet in Australian Rugby League, both Langer and Stuart only won 3 premierships (Langer 1992, 1993 and 1998; Stuart 1989, 1990 and 1994).

Quite frankly I thought they were both great halfbacks, just different playing styles. Stuart was more an organiser/game manager whereas Alfie was more an off the cuff, running style.

BadnMean

Juniors
Yet in Australian Rugby League, both Langer and Stuart only won 3 premierships (Langer 1992, 1993 and 1998; Stuart 1989, 1990 and 1994).

Quite frankly I thought they were both great halfbacks, just different playing styles. Stuart was more an organiser/game manager whereas Alfie was more an off the cuff, running style.

Most Raiders fans I know rate Alfie as a decent half. For a squashed cumquat, he was a wily little adversary. Not in Stuarts league, but very good.

gUt

Coach
@Captain Apollo 4 mate, 4. Back to back twice.

Certainly Langer is in a vastly different league than the cod-ordinary Stuart. Langer is rightly mentioned in all-time best-of lists decades after his retirement. Stuart's exploits are summed up by an occasional mention of his surname after all the other proper halfbacks of the modern era are analysed and discussed ("Oh and don't forget Stuart. He was a good 'un too!" Discussion closes uncomfortably).

Langer provided the attacking spark for some of the greatest ever club, state and national teams ever assembled, where Stuart merely passed the ball to the talented players and occasionally closed his slitty eyes and kicked the ball as far as he could and hoped for the best. (That's when Mal wasn't the preferred field-position kicker, which he usually was.)

Stuart's career petered out as soon as he wasn't surrounded by all-time greats, slinking away to Canterbury to be promptly forgotten by history, only to be resurrected as one of the most derided coaches of the modern era. Langer has fashioned himself into the greatest water-carrier the game has ever seen, zipping around the field with style and panache and STILL aggravating opposition fans more than any other trainer in history apart from maybe Toovey.

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
When Langer initially retired, state Premiers and even the PM begged him to reconsider. When Stuart retired, Canterbury fans begged him not to reconsider.

Was just scrolling through a list of Australian rugby league's 100 greatest players as selected by a panel of 130 neutral experts. Lots of really wonderful, memorable players in there, including a good half-dozen from that champion Canberra era. Obviously lots of halfbacks in there too from all eras and comps.

Couldn't find Stuart's name in there anywhere although Langer is obviously prominent in the list. Stuart could not displace such notables as Viv Thicknesse, Joe Busch, Terry Lamb and Chris McKivat.

I'll keep looking and update you when I find him. Maybe Stuart made the list of the top 10000 players, anything's possible.

Last edited: