What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 overrated players of all time?

I can agree that Ricky is a better coach than Alfie, given that Alfie has dedicated his post-playing days to delivering water. However, if Alfie were to take a head coaching role, he would dominate Ricky just like he always has.

Reactions: gUt

gUt

Coach
I can agree that Ricky is a better coach than Alfie, given that Alfie has dedicated his post-playing days to delivering water. However, if Alfie were to take a head coaching role, he would dominate Ricky just like he always has.

Good point, just as Stuart has strenuously avoided the tricky and demanding water-transport role because Alf had already mastered it and Stuart would have been made to look second-rate here too.

King hit

Coach
Stuart won 4/5 origin series against Langer including 3 man of the match awards, beat him at Lang Park in a finals game and replaced him in the Australian team twice.

Vic Mackey

Referee
One guy I think is incredibly over rated with how he is thought of in history is Gordan Tallis. In no way was he a bad player, but an all time great? Please

The guy never made a hit up in the middle third of the field in his life. Second rowers who played around the same time as him that were better then him: Brad Thorn, Steve Menzies, Ben Kennedy, Michael Crocker, Craig Fitzgibbon

Vic Mackey

Referee
I’ve always said the way to tell who are genuine great players and who are overrated is to ask the fans of the club who the player plays for.

They are the ones who run a fine tooth comb over every aspect of a players ability and are always the ones who are usually ultra critical of performance.

As a Parra fan plenty of other supporters say Gutho is overrated. When you see the bloke week in week out and know how he has put the hard yards in and improved his game over the years and continually does so, along with the fact he gives 110% every game and uses every single drop of natural ability he has been given you can appreciate him for what a great player he is.

Anyone who voted for Dylan Edwards over him eats shrooms for breakfast lunch and dinner.

I think it’s the total opposite

You’ve pretty much said it in your third paragraph. Fans love the players who don’t have the natural talents of others but put in every week or ‘bleed for the club’

Ask a Saints fan what they think of Jason Nightingale, Raiders fan of Alan Tounge, Roosters of Mitch Aubusson etc

Honestly I put Gutherson in the category of guys like that

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I think it’s the total opposite

You’ve pretty much said it in your third paragraph. Fans love the players who don’t have the natural talents of others but put in every week or ‘bleed for the club’

Ask a Saints fan what they think of Jason Nightingale, Raiders fan of Alan Tounge, Roosters of Mitch Aubusson etc

Honestly I put Gutherson in the category of guys like that

I understand what your saying, but I disagree because everyone loves those types of players. Not many general Rugby League fans would say any of the blokes you mentioned were overrated.

When you take players who are hyped by the media and/or play rep football etc they are the ones who are ‘rated’ and are openly judged as possibly overrated.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I can't fathom how anyone could ever call Gutherson over-rated - I mean, the media harp on, and on, about him, but nobody who is being serious would have him ahead of Tedesco, Trbojevic, RTS, etc.

He is a supremely fit, very skilful fullback, who gives 100%, and never stops - but he isn’t a superstar player.

Stuart won 4/5 origin series against Langer including 3 man of the match awards, beat him at Lang Park in a finals game and replaced him in the Australian team twice.

Bad form happens. It's telling that Langer was the first choice halfback selection in 90 and 94 which were premiership years for Stuart, when we all know the selectors love a premiership winning player.

I haven't been to Suncorp Stadium for a while, given the whole pandemic situation. But I don't remember there being a Ricky Stuart statue outside of the ground. They may have put one in during isolation, so I can't say for sure. But I know an Alfie one is there. So I guess that's checkmate then.

Danish

Referee
This Joseph Suaalii character must surely already be in the top 10, right?

What kind of moron signs a 16 year old to $700K, let alone the $1 million the ARU is willing to flush down the toilet on him. Souths being saved by the ARU's own incompetence there.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
I can't fathom how anyone could ever call Gutherson over-rated - I mean, the media harp on, and on, about him, but nobody who is being serious would have him ahead of Tedesco, Trbojevic, RTS, etc.

He is a supremely fit, very skilful fullback, who gives 100%, and never stops - but he isn’t a superstar player.

I think he is overrated for that very reason that the media gush over him. He was anointed with the moniker 'King' after, what, 50 games mostly on the wing?

SBD82

Coach
Bit rich coming from you attacking this guy for making a cowards account.

Now that we know your coward account alias is “Rodney Rude”.
Are you referring to that time when you forgot how to Internet? That was cute.

Don’t kid yourself mate. No one needs an alt account to call you a f**king bitch.

I’m not sure if you think this is high quality banter, but let me assure you, it’s not.

Banter?

That’s for people you like.

You don’t qualify.

I just tell it how it is and you don’t handle it very well.

But hey that’s your problem not mine.

Latest posts