What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You're too slow for the Colin Best Express!!

Southernsaint

Staff member
Dragons Best be wary

David Jean, Canberra Times | March 27, 2008 - 9:47AM

Colin Best isn't sure why the Raiders are so hard to beat at Canberra Stadium. But the former Dragon remembers how hard St George Illawarra tried to crack the winning code at its bogey ground.
And he's sure Dragons coach Nathan Brown and his players are again wondering how to break through for their first win in Canberra since 2000 on Saturday night.
The Dragons haven't won in Canberrain eight years and have won just one of their past eight encounters against the Raiders.
Best said St George Illawarra had never come to grips with playing at Bruce.
"When I was there we were trying to work that out for years," Best said.
"I don't know whether it was a factor of the crowd and the cold and the travel.
"It was definitely something they used to bring up during the week.
"For some reason the Dragons in Canberra was basically like a bogey side. Hopefully that trend will continue."
Bestreturns to the Raiders line-up, allowing Bronx Goodwin to shift from the wing to fullback in place of the injured William Zillman.
The 127-game veteran, who spent two years at the Dragons before moving to Canberra last season, scored two tries for Queensland Cup side Souths Logan last week.
He admitted getting dropped for Goodwin last week had hurt.
"I was pretty furious to be honest last week but I'm past that now and hopefully I'll get into some good form and be in the side for the rest of the year.
"Basically [coach Neil Henry] wants a bit more enthusiasm and a bit more in my all-round game."
The Raiders boast a strong recent record against the Dragons, but they suffered a horror 58-16 loss to St George Illawarra in round 17 last year.
Dragons halfback Jamie Soward terrorised the Raiders' back three with high balls that day and Best expected more kicks would come his way after watching Soward's display against Gold Coast on Monday.
"They're a strong side when they complete sets and they've got a good kicking game on the end of it so we'll have to be on our game.
"Something that the whole club has worked on down here during the off-season is to be better defensively against kicks.
"It will be no different going into the Dragons game. Every game we'll be trying to be better against kicks."
Raiders hooker Lincoln Withers trained yesterday and was hopeful of returning from a rib injury.After pulling out on game day last week, Withers said he was more confident of playing on Saturday.
"Last week I was probably no chance and we just probably played the game a bit," Withers said. "But this week it's feeling a lot better.
"It's one of those painful injuries and we probably didn't want to take it into the game last week.
"With the interchange rule down to 10 now if you lose a player early it makes it hard on your bench."
Another former Dragon, Withers said St George Illawarra would be more confident travelling to Canberra early in the season.
"When I played at the Dragons they didn't like the cold and they always brought it up at training and tried things to get around it."
"But I think the more you talk about it the more you think about it."
"I think they'll go into the game just doing their normal stuff.
They had a good little win on Monday and hopefully they won't take too much momentum out of that."
Canberra Times

Source: http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/ne...raiders-plan-a-hostile-reception/1210633.html

I always had a lot of time for Besty when he was with us...

The Preacher

First Grade
I wanted to give him a lot more time when he was with us too. I wanted him sitting beside me in the crowd so he wouldn't come in off his wing, tackle nothing more than mid-air, and let another try in.
The old saying goes that wingers hang around footballers , I reckon Best used to hang around wingers.

redVpride

Juniors
i agree preacher more than once a game as well lets hope the dragons take advantage of that on the weekend

God-King Dean

Immortal
I'd rather we kicked to Purtells wing. Best was great under the high ball when he was with us. But then again, I don't imagine Nightinggale can jump very high...

I never been a fan on kicking to a winger on the last. Too hit-&-miss for my liking, would much rather a kick in-goal or just running it.

big pat

Coach
is colin the best or worst winger in the nrl, well i'd rather morris and nightingale any day.

Godz Illa

Coach
Remember that game in 2005 when we flogged the Roosters at WIN... Gaz put the Best Express into some space and he stood up Minichiello effortlessly to score. And later that year against the Broncos when Naiqama made a big bust, drew the fullback and the Express took it 50m under the sticks - you don't see wingers combine and create tries in the middle of the field like that very often. Ahh they were the Best of times, they were the worst of times...

petetheileet

First Grade
true, take a look at some dragons vids on youtube...that brisbane try is there as are a lot linking up with gaz

he is good under the high ball so we should definately kick to the other wing!

dragonfire

Bench
Nosir'rom Na'ed said:
I'd rather we kicked to Purtells wing. Best was great under the high ball when he was with us. But then again, I don't imagine Nightinggale can jump very high...

I never been a fan on kicking to a winger on the last. Too hit-&-miss for my liking, would much rather a kick in-goal or just running it.

Jason Nightingale

Height : 183cm
Weight : 91kb

Colin Best

Height : 189cm
Weight : 96kg

Honestly for some reason Nightingale on TV always looks small but he really isnt that small, pretty much the same dimensions as Josh Morris. Seems to be safe as houses under teh highball as well. Seems to make great decisions in defense when he gets slightly stranded from Cooper and at the same time great tackler. Underrated when some many people have teh big raps on the Morris boys but he is keeping that wing position. Hopefully we can resign him this year

It's funny how we remember Best being worst in defence (he always came in 1 player too many and often got ran around.
But dayem he can run and score tries, is Nightingale on the same side as best ?

petetheileet

First Grade
dragonfire said:
Jason Nightingale

Height : 183cm
Weight : 91kb

Colin Best

Height : 189cm
Weight : 96kg

Honestly for some reason Nightingale on TV always looks small but he really isnt that small, pretty much the same dimensions as Josh Morris. Seems to be safe as houses under teh highball as well. Seems to make great decisions in defense when he gets slightly stranded from Cooper and at the same time great tackler. Underrated when some many people have teh big raps on the Morris boys but he is keeping that wing position. Hopefully we can resign him this year

Its because Nightingale is such a wrestler so he stays so close to the ground, he seems so much shorter...and keep in mind the height of people inside him!

julian87

Juniors
Besides one brain explosion, Best was much better than the majority of the Dragons' outside backs last night.

Latest posts