What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youtube remove NRL videos

gUt

Coach
Fan created tributes, when done right, are one of the best grassroots marketing tools the NRL could hope for. Apart from anything else they cost nothing. Not sure if it's still there but someone went to the trouble of making a highlights package of Matt Bowen set to music. His slashing runs, his kicks and passes as well as a couple of trysavers.

It was a wonderful advertisement for the code. I wanted to see a similar video for Gorden Tallis, Allan Langer, Brad Fittler, Stacey Jones etc etc but they aren't there. If NRL marketing were smarter they would be producing these sorts of videos themselves and putting them out for consumption, free. You don't cannibalize your market of fans wanting to watch match highlights and you are putting the best of the best onfield action out there, for very little cost.

Doga

Juniors
When the toyota cup first started I took it upon myself to make highlights of some games each round. Took a lot of editing and time. Posted 10 minute clips.

I received heaps of messages from people all over the world thanking me and telling me that it was the only way they could see highlights of the youth comp.

I did not advertise on the page at all, did not make a cent.

NRL thanked me by getting my account terminated (this will never be reversed) and I am no longer allowed to have another youtube account. The fact that I do is beside the point though.

Shit quality? The NRL are uploading their own videos in dusty looking 360p! Most youtube uploaders are uploading in atleast 480, many would upload in 720 or 1080 if not for the fact it would be a waste of time, as most videos are short lived.

People uploading NRL stuff to Youtube are trying to grow the game and share the awesomeness with other people. They shouldn't have to, but they do it because there's no other option.

Search 'Rugby' on youtube, 3rd video down, Ben Barba Miracle try - That'll be down by next week. 134,000 views in 2 days, creating some great buzz for the NRL, but you think it shouldn't be there?

And that's the point. If the NRL actually engaged in thought once in a while, and weren't numbskulls, they'd have a Youtube channel which would be one of the dominant sports channel on Youtube, and probably the site on the whole if they played their cards right. The NRL could embarrass rivals - Rugby and AFL couldn't hang with the content and demand that NRL material would generate, week in week out - It would be a massacre.

If Rugby League is to survive and properly grow outside of a few Australian states the internet is the only platform to ensure that. It's 2011.

But I'll put money on the NRL going for the quick cash and f**king internet rights at the next negotiations. Probably get confused again when they approach foreign broadcasters and are unable to convey the demand for product like the NRL, because they went ahead and removed half of the internet, and in the process quite comfortably vanished hundreds of millions of non-Australian video views that came with it - Leaving the tv rights with subscription broadcasters nobodies ever heard of

- So, why should we carry your product?
- Urgh, It's popular in QLD, and we estimate there's 1211 QLD ex-pats living in Paraguay :sarcasm:
- Sair!

420_gallop-420x0.jpg

where did I say not to upload and promote the game?? I'm all for it and the NRL do leave alot on there

it's when you get 500 people with a shitty video camera taping their TV of the manly/scum fight it should be taken down, we don't need 500 people doing it, a handful or proper recordings are enough.

taping the TV = take that shit down ASAP and GTFO.

azsportza

Live Update Team
I also just show you that the NRL block it and not BigPond...I thought it would be a good marketing idea to share the Legends of origin match highlights...however after about a week I got this.

rtn5hk.png

I also just show you that the NRL block it and not BigPond...I thought it would be a good marketing idea to share the Legends of origin match highlights...however after about a week I got this.

rtn5hk.png

upload that video you made somewhere else and show us here. If it is good quality I will send off an email to the NRL for you explaining that it promotes the game.

chigurh

I've had the same problem guys. Here's the response I got:

Thanks for your email. We appreciate you taking the time to write in to us.

The reason your posting has been tagged as copyright and removed is because Telstra Bigpond have the exclusive rights to online video of NRL games.

We appreciate you wanting to promote the game but we also need to be mindful of the commercial rights of our partners.

I have ensured your comments are passed on and registered.

Thank you for your support of the game.

Kind Regards,

Reham, NRL

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Laughing at people saying that fans uploading videos is wrong or bad.

If you want the game to expand, you need video content online freely available. It has done wonders for the popularity of the NFL. I thoroughly recommend anyone to experience the NFL's online content - it's a credit to that sport.

I've traveled and lived abroad and try to show videos to friends or people I meet that are interested in sport. It's embarrassing when I can't find any decent State of Origin footage or highlights of great games.

As someone else posted in this thread, "An Australian organisation behind in use of internet technology. I'm shocked.:

ceagle

Bench
Do the NRL have any idea about how to market the game towards younger audiences? If so they should keep the videos up there, it can do no damage for the game. If you go into the most popular videos on youtube in Australia, Ben Barba's try is number 1 with over 100,00 views.

edabomb

First Grade
The stupid thing about the NRL being so strict in this is that they offer no other affordable alternative for fans to see a bit of the games history. To get a game put on to DVD for you is in the $80 vicinity, $40 if it has already been transferred. Why not offer a back catalogue of games online for $5 a pop or something similar, or let fans share the games history.

Parra

Referee
NFL is the best example of getting online content right. This makes the sport accessible.

My main interest in online content is the historical footage that is available - historic F1, 500ccGP, Indy etc is great. There is some good RL historical video - but nowhere near enough. Sites like the now defunct RL1908.com and http://www.eraofthebiff.com/ are worth checking out.

gUt

Coach
What dumbshit signed that agreement?

The NRL could enforce a ban on match replays or even match highlights being available freely so as to protect their online partners but still allow the creation of fan-based tributes to players, a la the Matt Bowen video I mentioned. Win-win. Either that or they should work with Telstra (or whoever) to create these sorts of videos in-house and use them to promote the skill and excitement of the best individuals in our game.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
What's the AFL's stance on this? Not trying to turn this into another thread but it would be interesting to see if they are as strict on it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Telstra agreement was spectacularly bad timing. Telstra bought the rights at a time when the value of the online exposure was only really starting to be realised. The NRL viewed the rights as something to be sold to make some money, rather than viewing the online medium as a crucial tool to create exposure. As a result Telstra's use of the NRL rights seems to be more about driving hits on Telstra websites and selling Testra services than promoting the NRL. This is why there's very little NRL on Youtube, and also why live NRL games are currently absent from Foxtel on XBox360 (as that service is delivered via IP, so it's technically still online).
The NRL seriously needs to change their way of thinking when the rights come up for renegotiation.

Eels Dude

Coach
It's because of Telstra more than likely. The contract they have with the NRL means they have exclusive rights to online footage and the NRL can't just over-rule an existing contract. They do deserve critisicism for agreeing to such a deal in the first place though.

Brutus

Referee
It's because of Telstra more than likely. The contract they have with the NRL means they have exclusive rights to online footage and the NRL can't just over-rule an existing contract. They do deserve critisicism for agreeing to such a deal in the first place though.

It was one of the many disgraces of the last TV deal.