What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youtube remove NRL videos

gregstar

Referee
smart move nrl!

remove an outlet that promotes your product free of charge to youth on a medium that is growing faster in an age where sport is competing furiously for corporate support given the pokie taxe squeeze & negative publicity from second rate journalism.

a real neurology convention is our nrl.

innsaneink

Referee
Dear Member:

This is to notify you that we have removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by National Rugby League Partnership claiming that this material is infringing:
Wests Tigers V SaintsIlla major semi final 2005: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQqRMi2xjhs
Please Note: Repeat incidents of copyright infringement will result in the deletion of your account and all videos uploaded to that account. In order to avoid future strikes against your account, please delete any videos to which you do not own the rights, and refrain from uploading additional videos that infringe on the copyrights of others. For more information about YouTube's copyright policy, please read the Copyright Tips guide.
If you elect to send us a counter notice, please go to our Help Center to access the instructions.
Be aware that there may be adverse legal consequences in your country if you make a false or bad faith allegation of copyright infringement by using this process. Sincerely,
YouTube, Inc.

Fmd! :crazy:

It was maybe 5 seconds of Hodgo cheering and Barrett crying.

I now feel like a criminal.

mattyg

Bench
absolutely ridiculous...

people wouldn't watch these clips if they weren't on youtube. It's free advertising and the NRL just get rid of it. dumb dumb dumb

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Schillaci said:
I doubt the NRL would have much say in it. Telstra has mobile and internet rights.

Ridiculously short sighted.... how many non-NRL fans are ever going to look at the Telstra coverage compared to the potential youtube exposure?

Razor

Coach
remove an outlet that promotes your product free of charge to youth on a medium that is growing faster in an age where sport is competing furiously for corporate support given the pokie taxe squeeze & negative publicity from second rate journalism.

Now that Youtube puts advertising on videos which they share with the person who uploaded the video, it is now giving people and Google money for their product.

What's stopping a fan uploading a video. He himself will earn US$10 per 1000 times it's viewed.

Razor

Coach
Azkatro said:
I had a video up that I took myself at the Eels Sharks game from this year. Wouldn't I own the copyright on that? I had a look at the page which explains what I have to do to "challenge" the action and it was all too confusing. So f**ked if I know what I'm supposed to do. Reupload it and have my account deleted I suppose.

If you read the back of your ticket your not allowed to film video inside the grounds. Still photos only.

Same a 7 or 10 can't go in, film the whole game, and then put the game on TV late that night. And 9 can't go in, for the Fox Sports matches.

azsportza

Live Update Team
I have been no stranger to the workings of Youtube and uploading videos featuring NRL content over the past few years. However it seems that the National Rugby League has taken their “Nazi” banning to a new level following the incident which took place in Round 25 at Brookvale Oval. Whilst I will not go into the incident itself but rather my thoughts into the relationship (or lack of) between the NRL and Youtube.

I started my channel back in 2009 where I would post highlights of matches from across the weekend. At this stage the NRL (via BigPond) were behind with quality highlight videos of matches. My channel received some traction from league fans and as a result of it becoming known the NRL stepped in and removed the video and subsequently the channel. Since then it seems the NRL has started to journey into the world of Youtube with their own channel which still features the poor highlights.

If you did search for “NRL Brookvale Brawl” on Friday Night you would find loads of videos highlighting the incident at the Manly, Storm clash from Brookvale Oval. However if you search for it now there is no longer any videos hosted on the site. This action by the NRL to not only remove this incident but other content from Youtube which discourages users from creating their favourite moments and tries from the current season. Despite the League wishing to remove the incident from our minds and to stop it being repeated by the juniors in their games, the NRL needs to be more flexible.

As a case study we compare the NRL to the NBA. The NBA allows an encourages it’s fans to create content from their games throughout it’s season, but the NRL on the other hand will do everything in it’s means to stop all and any content being published via Youtube. In my eyes the NBA has it right, not only is it FREE marketing for the game but also there is a good chance that the sponsors of the code are getting another plug as they are seen in highlights.

NRL Boss, David Gallop is concerned about the “image of the game” and if this is the case he and his BUSINESS is taking this the wrong approach. It has been said that the NRL has become a BRAND rather than a GAME. If Gallop insists the NRL is a major BRAND then it needs to accept there are fans in the community who wish to share their favourite moments with the world. As a result this is FREE MARKETING of the brand as far as I am concerned. Youtube is a money can not buy market space. Yes it may not be acceptable for something like a fight to be on Youtube for all to see. Nevertheless it’s part of the brand. You can’t kill it but they are doing their best too.

Finally, if the National Rugby League has the mind set that videos as such (as the highlights) are going to take a viewership from both networks in NINE and FOX Sports they need to stop and think again. IF ANYTHING it adds to the people tuning in to watch the games as a result of watching the videos. Although not to neglect the fact that the content is owned by the NRL, they need to allow free license to create videos and publish them via Youtube. A similar deal should stuck that exists between WGA music/Vivo and Youtube. Yes BigPond has the “rights” to the videos, however having a blanket wide ban on all over content is not acceptable and if they are to grow their brand then this needs to be looked at. Forget NRL expansion and invest in social media to get a wider market from across the world.

Note: This thread is not to discuss the incident from Round 25 but the "relationship" between YouTube and the NRL.

Loudstrat

Coach
Agree with your sentiment, and I probably need to thank you for your video efforts that has allowed me to watch from time to time.

Where the NRL has a point is over ownership of the footage. If you have simply reposted what you copied of tv, then technically that is a breach of copyright. If you had your own footage - I doubt they could do anything. The individuals that you videoed could though.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Were you making money off your channel buy displaying NRL footage?

edit: i have no problem with nrl footage on youtube btw. I think it'd be foolish for the nrl to all of a sudden remove all that positive exposure

Last edited:

seanoff

Juniors
Agree with your sentiment, and I probably need to thank you for your video efforts that has allowed me to watch from time to time.

Where the NRL has a point is over ownership of the footage. If you have simply reposted what you copied of tv, then technically that is a breach of copyright. If you had your own footage - I doubt they could do anything. The individuals that you videoed could though.

Technically it is a breach of copyright. However the free advertising that the code gets is worth far more than any possible losses from copyright infringement.

The nrl are being stupid.

Big Pete

Referee
I especially dislike it when they remove content pre-2005 that isn't available on their website.

sting

Bench

ellskimore

Juniors
I am in Canada for the next six months and youtube is the only real option I have for viewing NRL content without paying money.
I agree with your sentiment here sir.