What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youtube remove NRL videos

The NHL also have their own channel which is awesome.

The problem with the NRL channel is firstly that they only put game highlights up from bigpond, which are usually crap and often miss out on individual incidents or tries or hits - Leaving little in the way of appeal to the neutral or non-NRL market. It's a marketing failure on their behalf and it can be evidenced by the fact their channel has a combined viewcount that's lower than most the illegal uploaders lmfao. The second failure is that you can't watch the NRL channel if you're outside of Australia(and maybe Nz). Go on their official Youtube page and it's nothing but complaints from NRL fans who are being geo-blocked. They're trying to force international viewers to pay about $18 aus dollars a month to watch some shitty highlights through their big pond shit.

I'm also a Youtube NRL contributor and let me tell you, the NRL are f**king themselves, hard - without lube!

But in their defence, as I understand it, this isn't where the NRL want to be, they have contractual agreements with BigPond.

The NRL Youtube channel has been on Youtube since 2006, yet it's only amassed a total of 1,652,342 video views! This despite the fact they're the official channel and have uploaded thousands of videos over the years.

I'm telling you the NRL are f**king supertards. Give me power of their Youtube page and access to their video library and I'll have their video view count 50,000,000 before the years end. Alas, there may be light at the end of the tunnel. Here's an email I managed to get after trolling them.

"Our current rights arrangement ending December 2012 constrain us from using popular online sports content channels like YouTube, however in the next round of new media rights we will be considering all asset ownership and channels options available to us so that we maximize international exposure to NRL."

BTW, the fight in question, even though the thread isn't specific to it, was posted ALL over the internet before the NRL pulled it.

I even saw it on The Huffington Post! The 20th most popular website in America, it's about the 50th most popular website on the entire internet. There was about 500 comments on it before the video was pulled. I think the title was "Epic Australian Rugby brawl" or something like that. And that's just one example

In contrast, there was that awesome AFL mark about a month back, and guess what! It has nearly 3 million views on Youtube, has been posted all over the internet and the AFL haven't removed it.

All the most popular NRL videos are removed. If the NRL didn't police Youtube there would be hundreds of NRL videos with a million views. The only million + view NRL video left on Youtube is of Sonny Bill Williams - Great f**king work, dipshits.

Are you blokes familiar with RugbyDump.com? Best Rugby media website on the internet, voted the best rugby website by the UK's Daily Telegraph and some other rags. Anyone familiar with it? Well the owner was going to create a break-away website called LeagueDump, but he poopooed the idea after seeing how the NRL gestapo SS police Youtube

The internet is a massive leveler for the NRL, they could really grow the game globally with the internet as a platform, but piss away the opportunity. People eat it up too. Big hits and fights, the stuff the NRL don't like, they're the most popular to people outside Australia.

westie

Bench
Like your email says, it's not up to the NRL. Telstra paid big money to have exclusive rights to the content. How the NRL negotiate the next deal will be interesting.

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
While I was overseas recently for 6 weeks, the only way I could see footage from the games was watching highlights uploaded to YouTube. Without that I probably wouldn't have seen anything due to restrictions to overseas viewers on BigPond & Fox Sports websites

broncos2012

Juniors
I gotta pay £8 a month for all NRL games on demand + highlights otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch shit at all. Even Highlights are GEO-Blocked to the UK.

azsportza

Live Update Team
Were you making money off your channel buy displaying NRL footage?

edit: i have no problem with nrl footage on youtube btw. I think it'd be foolish for the nrl to all of a sudden remove all that positive exposure

I wasn't making any money via YouTube. It seems that Channel 9 don't have rights to allow others to published their content via the web either.

I understand that their is copyright involved. However I was making the effort and doing my own highlights. Whilst there is channels out there which just download the BigPond Highlights and re-upload them as their own.

Something needs to be done to allow fans to make their own content.

bobmar28

Bench
It's great to find old games on youtube. I just found the snow game - Raiders v Tigers 2000 played in snow, downloaded to usb to watch on the plasma.
To buy a DVD of that game costs about $40.

if it's shit quality I'd take the videos down too

if you are copy pasting other peoples work just so you can get views on your channel, then don't bitch when it gets taken down.

make your own kind of video, promote your club.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Agree with your sentiment, and I probably need to thank you for your video efforts that has allowed me to watch from time to time.

Where the NRL has a point is over ownership of the footage. If you have simply reposted what you copied of tv, then technically that is a breach of copyright. If you had your own footage - I doubt they could do anything. The individuals that you videoed could though.

they removed a video i shot myself with my own camera at a tri nations game a few years ago. so even if you did it yourself, tough shit apparently.

I gotta pay £8 a month for all NRL games on demand + highlights otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch shit at all. Even Highlights are GEO-Blocked to the UK.

You know what's funny though? Premier Sports show about 5 NRL games a week for about £4 :lol:

THe NRL website, as unreliable as it is(sometimes scheduled games aren't even streamed) and the quality is very ordinary, is charging more than an actual tv station!

How can you charge £8 a month when people in the UK can get pretty much all the games for £4? I think at one point the guy who runs the Premier Sports facebook page was running subscriptions at 2.50 a month :crazy:

if it's shit quality I'd take the videos down too

if you are copy pasting other peoples work just so you can get views on your channel, then don't bitch when it gets taken down.

make your own kind of video, promote your club.

Shit quality? The NRL are uploading their own videos in dusty looking 360p! Most youtube uploaders are uploading in atleast 480, many would upload in 720 or 1080 if not for the fact it would be a waste of time, as most videos are short lived.

People uploading NRL stuff to Youtube are trying to grow the game and share the awesomeness with other people. They shouldn't have to, but they do it because there's no other option.

Search 'Rugby' on youtube, 3rd video down, Ben Barba Miracle try - That'll be down by next week. 134,000 views in 2 days, creating some great buzz for the NRL, but you think it shouldn't be there?

And that's the point. If the NRL actually engaged in thought once in a while, and weren't numbskulls, they'd have a Youtube channel which would be one of the dominant sports channel on Youtube, and probably the site on the whole if they played their cards right. The NRL could embarrass rivals - Rugby and AFL couldn't hang with the content and demand that NRL material would generate, week in week out - It would be a massacre.

If Rugby League is to survive and properly grow outside of a few Australian states the internet is the only platform to ensure that. It's 2011.

But I'll put money on the NRL going for the quick cash and f**king internet rights at the next negotiations. Probably get confused again when they approach foreign broadcasters and are unable to convey the demand for product like the NRL, because they went ahead and removed half of the internet, and in the process quite comfortably vanished hundreds of millions of non-Australian video views that came with it - Leaving the tv rights with subscription broadcasters nobodies ever heard of

- So, why should we carry your product?
- Urgh, It's popular in QLD, and we estimate there's 1211 QLD ex-pats living in Paraguay :sarcasm:
- Sair!

420_gallop-420x0.jpg

azsportza

Live Update Team
Shit quality? The NRL are uploading their own videos in dusty looking 360p! Most youtube uploaders are uploading in atleast 480, many would upload in 720 or 1080 if not for the fact it would be a waste of time, as most videos are short lived.

People uploading NRL stuff to Youtube are trying to grow the game and share the awesomeness with other people. They shouldn't have to, but they do it because there's no other option.

Search 'Rugby' on youtube, 3rd video down, Ben Barba Miracle try - That'll be down by next week. 134,000 views in 2 days, creating some great buzz for the NRL, but you think it shouldn't be there?

And that's the point. If the NRL actually engaged in thought once in a while, and weren't numbskulls, they'd have a Youtube channel which would be one of the dominant sports channel on Youtube, and probably the site on the whole if they played their cards right. The NRL could embarrass rivals - Rugby and AFL couldn't hang with the content and demand that NRL material would generate, week in week out - It would be a massacre.

If Rugby League is to survive and properly grow outside of a few Australian states the internet is the only platform to ensure that. It's 2011.

But I'll put money on the NRL going for the quick cash and f**king internet rights at the next negotiations. Probably get confused again when they approach foreign broadcasters and are unable to convey the demand for product like the NRL, because they went ahead and removed half of the internet, and in the process quite comfortably vanished hundreds of millions of non-Australian video views that came with it - Leaving the tv rights with subscription broadcasters nobodies ever heard of

- So, why should we carry your product?
- Urgh, It's popular in QLD, and we estimate there's 1211 QLD ex-pats living in Paraguay :sarcasm:
- Sair!

420_gallop-420x0.jpg

I couldn't agree more. The thing I hate is yes I use footage from NINE and/or Fox Sports however I take the time to go through the game and make my own videos from it. Whilst as you said people download poor quality videos from bigpond sport and upload it to their channels to get views.

After Round 26 I will be uploading two videos to YouTube feature some of the best tries from 2011. I have taken the time to collect all the different tries and put them together. Whilst some people will just download the top 5 tries from BigPond and re-upload it to youtube. Copyright is important but not allowing creative license with such a great product is a JOKE!

Parra

Referee
The NRL can't even get the radio rights right. What hope is there for getting this right?

babyg

Juniors
NRL should be using utube to market itself.

We can only hope the Commission has some brains. I have faith.

onthetryline

Juniors
I agree with you that the NRL should get on board with YouTube. I just dont think you can use the NBA as an example because they jumped on the digital wave like no other sport in history...so your essentially comparing us to a sport that makes more money in a week than the NRL would in 3 months. I dont think thats very fair.

What is the YouTube coverage like for AFL? Or even Super 15's? I think comparing it to Australian sports (not American) is a better stand point.

Doesnt mean the NRL shouldnt get on board and be a trail blazer (as far as Aussie sports go) with these videos. I have an online blog and i'd rather put in a video than talk about the incident or a great try.

Latest posts