What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youtube remove NRL videos

Eels Dude

Coach
It was one of the many disgraces of the last TV deal.

Agreed. There's no point whinging about something you can't change though. Just have to hope the NRL have the common sense and intelligence to avoid such situation with the new TV/Media deal to start in 2013.

flamin

Juniors
BTW, the fight in question, even though the thread isn't specific to it, was posted ALL over the internet before the NRL pulled it.

I even saw it on The Huffington Post! The 20th most popular website in America, it's about the 50th most popular website on the entire internet. There was about 500 comments on it before the video was pulled. I think the title was "Epic Australian Rugby brawl" or something like that. And that's just one example

In contrast, there was that awesome AFL mark about a month back, and guess what! It has nearly 3 million views on Youtube, has been posted all over the internet and the AFL haven't removed it.

All the most popular NRL videos are removed. If the NRL didn't police Youtube there would be hundreds of NRL videos with a million views. The only million + view NRL video left on Youtube is of Sonny Bill Williams - Great f**king work, dipshits.

Are you blokes familiar with RugbyDump.com? Best Rugby media website on the internet, voted the best rugby website by the UK's Daily Telegraph and some other rags. Anyone familiar with it? Well the owner was going to create a break-away website called LeagueDump, but he poopooed the idea after seeing how the NRL gestapo SS police Youtube

The internet is a massive leveler for the NRL, they could really grow the game globally with the internet as a platform, but piss away the opportunity. People eat it up too. Big hits and fights, the stuff the NRL don't like, they're the most popular to people outside Australia.

Yes completely right Masoe. I've been tracking some of the vids because I'm very interested in internet marketing and quite a few in the last couple of weeks have been picked up by sites in Europe and in America, resulting in great exposure for the game, such as David mead's try, Manly v Storm fight, and Ben Barba's try. There were also quite a lot very positive comments from people who've never seen the game. Absolutely stupid to remove this.

nqcowboy87

Bench
theres a an article listing the retiring 17 and theres a link to a private youtube account, which i find surprising

http://www.bigpondsport.com/an-nrl-retiring-team-of-the-year/tabid/91/newsid/76472/default.aspx
(under mark riddell)

a little off topic but i find it annoying when people whinge that they cant play a song on youtube and they complain about the companys taking the audio down. thats how musiciains make money, the foo fighters arent making music for sh##s and giggles thats theyre job so if everybody just whent and downloaded a free version, how would they make money.

undertaker

Coach
I had old videos on there recorded from the OptusTV & Ch7 days that have been removed. I would say its all Rugby League games recorded from TV.

You would think in times of decreasing crowds and more competition from other codes that the NewsLtd Rugby League would want maximum exposure. I guess what the fans want isn't one of there priorities.

I know this is an old thread, but this deserves mentioning again:

I did make a comment about this in another thread not long ago, about how the NRL started the campaign of taking down YouTube videos during 2006-07 (really gained momentum in 2007. Not just only taking down NRL clips, but also stuff taped off the VCR from the pre-NRL days, which is a joke considering the plethora of old AFL and Rugby Union footage that can be found on YouTube).

I remember when YouTube was new in 2006 and moved to Sydney to start uni that year, there were plenty of clips from old games, as well as on Google Videos (when it was a separate entity/website before Google bought YouTube). Slowly by slowly, over time, those clips were take down. And you mentioned about Optus footage (1996-2000, when they broadcasted matches) you had that got taken down. Nearly all of those games you cannot find footage of anywhere (rare exceptions include the snow game in 2000 between Canberra vs Wests Tigers, as that was a historic occasion of the first first-grade match to be played in snow in Australia), and will never see even when Fox launches their NRL channel next year. There were a lot of classic matches and close, hard-fought contests from that era.

To make matters worse, it's not just YouTube; Rugby League Films (which was the official avenue whereby fans could, in the NRL's opinion, 'legally' obtain footage by purchasing DVDs they produced) has also been taken down and can no longer be found. I wonder what Toddy Greeenburg has to say that about that. Also, back in 2006, I remember the highlights/match replay archive on the NRL website went back to as far as Rd 9 2001....all of that, now gone. I don't know how far back on the NRL website you can access footage from the archives, but a lot of what they used to have has been removed. It's like the NRL don't want fans to remember or gain access to that footage, like it never existed

Now, to the good news.....

I've noticed clips of several old matches slowly making their way back on YouTube (highlights and full-match replays). A few YouTube channels have taken the time and effort to restore footage bringing back a lot of great memories from matches of years gone by. I don't want to give them too much publicity on this website though in case the NRL goes on a witch-hunt after them.

Mmmm....much like my 15 second wobbly shot of Skandos kick at goal in his last game last year. That too didnt last long.

Yes, I remember that video. Sorry to hear it got taken down

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal

I did make a comment about this in another thread not long ago, about how the NRL started the campaign of taking down YouTube videos during 2006-07 (really gained momentum in 2007. Not just only taking down NRL clips, but also stuff taped off the VCR from the pre-NRL days, which is a joke considering the plethora of old AFL and Rugby Union footage that can be found on YouTube).

I remember when YouTube was new in 2006 and moved to Sydney to start uni that year, there were plenty of clips from old games, as well as on Google Videos (when it was a separate entity/website before Google bought YouTube). Slowly by slowly, over time, those clips were take down. And you mentioned about Optus footage (1996-2000, when they broadcasted matches) you had that got taken down. Nearly all of those games you cannot find footage of anywhere (rare exceptions include the snow game in 2000 between Canberra vs Wests Tigers, as that was a historic occasion of the first first-grade match to be played in snow in Australia), and will never see even when Fox launches their NRL channel next year. There were a lot of classic matches and close, hard-fought contests from that era.

To make matters worse, it's not just YouTube; Rugby League Films (which was the official avenue whereby fans could, in the NRL's opinion, 'legally' obtain footage by purchasing DVDs they produced) has also been taken down and can no longer be found. I wonder what Toddy Greeenburg has to say that about that. Also, back in 2006, I remember the highlights/match replay archive on the NRL website went back to as far as Rd 9 2001....all of that, now gone. I don't know how far back on the NRL website you can access footage from the archives, but a lot of what they used to have has been removed. It's like the NRL don't want fans to remember or gain access to that footage, like it never existed

I've noticed clips of several old matches slowly making their way back on YouTube (highlights and full-match replays). A few YouTube channels have taken the time and effort to restore footage bringing back a lot of great memories from matches of years gone by. I don't want to give them too much publicity on this website though in case the NRL goes on a witch-hunt after them.

My connection to the modern NRL sanctioned run game is only tethered by my love of the Sharks. And it is getting more frayed every season. I have no time for any of the NRL crap and my joy of the game has been in a downward spiral for many years now. (and I know I am not alone) But the NRL doesn't see it that way.

It is all about control and making a profit. Not spreading the word and building good will.

How are kids that follow the game today, using todays digital information highways able to view what these guys they keep calling "The Immortals" actually played like.?

The Business is more concerned about counting the $$$$'s and seeing how far up Channel Neins arse they have to go.

Paullyboy

Coach
My connection to the modern NRL sanctioned run game is only tethered by my love of the Sharks. And it is getting more frayed every season. I have no time for any of the NRL crap and my joy of the game has been in a downward spiral for many years now. (and I know I am not alone) But the NRL doesn't see it that way.

It is all about control and making a profit. Not spreading the word and building good will.

How are kids that follow the game today, using todays digital information highways able to view what these guys they keep calling "The Immortals" actually played like.?

The Business is more concerned about counting the $$$$'s and seeing how far up Channel Neins arse they have to go.
The NRL is incredibly out of touch with things like this. They just genuinely don't understand promotion.

Nrl nfi in regards to videos etc

Beyond Home Entertainment do a range of DVD packages of games.

But I recently found some 1980s Monday night footy games I watched with glee.

Nrl needs someone putting together a channel with all this on it. A lot of people are interested and would watch games and highlights and 20-1 packages. Hell, There's a way to engage your fan base with requests and participation

rabbitohs95

Bench

As someone who loves rewatching highlights, it's disappointing to see the NRL website has highlights only going back to around 2013/14, even though they clearly uploaded videos prior to that, some of which can be found on Youtube.

TheDalek079

Bench

Nrl needs someone putting together a channel with all this on it. A lot of people are interested and would watch games and highlights and 20-1 packages. Hell, There's a way to engage your fan base with requests and participation

some of those beyond... DVDs are lousy. The Roosters Essentials 2 had 2 games from '91, and 1 in '93. Some of our darkest days. Should have had some from 2002. our heritage collection goes back to one of those 1991 games

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
F*cking hell, those fan videos are the first thing i go to when im introducing someone to RL...

NRL produced content is shit in comparison. I cant imagine the NRL loses much money from these videos and they would gain so much free advertising.

I wouldnt even mind them doing this if it meant they were finally taking their own branding and production seriously, but we all know this is just a bandaid solution to much bigger problems. Really it think this is just to say they are doing something productive.

axl rose

Bench
I wouldnt even mind them doing this if it meant they were finally taking their own branding and production seriously, but we all know this is just a bandaid solution to much bigger problems. Really it think this is just to say they are doing something productive.

The NRL commissions 'effort' in branding was changing the logo, and then they went on holiday.

undertaker

Coach

I 100% sympathise with the part in bold, as I wrote about that feeling extensively in this thread:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/t...st-in-matches-involving-neutral-teams.458150/

This, this, THIS!

Although us 'older' folk have the memories to hold on to, the younger generation of today - who have exposure to the
internet websites and advancements in technology that weren't around when I first started watching league - are missing out BIG TIME.

Similar analogy can be made with cricket: the folk who were brought up watching and listening to Benaud/Lawry/Greig/Chappell were spoilt for all those years, compared to kids today who are raised listening to James Brayshaw squealing like a teenager whose balls haven't dropped yet, and banal commentary during the game about what pizza Shane Warne ordered the previous night....a clear dumbing down of the minds has been engineered by the higher echelons over the past decade.

It's incredibly frustrating to know that although the actual sport of RL craps all over the other 3 football codes (soccer/rugby union/AFL), the administration and numerous decisions they have made in the past leaves a lot to be desired. And I thought the new ARLC/independent commission was supposed to fix these problems from the Gallop era, and that the fans would get their game back, like people such as Gus Gould used to say ad nauseum since the Storm salary cap controversy.

As someone who loves rewatching highlights, it's disappointing to see the NRL website has highlights only going back to around 2013/14, even though they clearly uploaded videos prior to that, some of which can be found on Youtube.

Back to only 2013/14? Wow, that is a hell of a lot of footage they have wiped from their archives.

As I said, when I first started accessing the NRL website back at the start of the 2006 season, I distinctly remember their highlights/match replay archive went back to Rd 9 2001. There was someone from another Newcastle Knights website who was able to compile short 3-5 min highlights for us Knights fans to download at the time of renown matches during the 2001-06 Johns era (99% of which cannot be found anywhere on the internet), including the night where the Knights led 48-0 at half-time vs Cowboys. So thankful he went out of his way to do that, as I don't think he has that footage anymore.

Even on the official NRL YouTube channel, they only have highlights dating back to Rd 20 2010:

https://www.youtube.com/user/NRL/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

So excluding the marquee matches such as Origin and finals matches, any pre-2011 NRL era footage you find on YouTube is only going to appear in scattered fragments and you will have to be like a skilled metal detector to stumble upon what you are after.

To demonstrate my point, go on YouTube and search for AFL material from the same time period that I said you can't find much NRL material (e.g. type in AFL 2001 and look at the searches, and then type in NRL 2001 and look at the searches), and it's a no-contest: you find HEAPS of extended highlights from the AFL as well as full match replays (not that I would watch a full boring game of AFL, but I say this to demonstrate the point of how much the NRL is shooting themselves in the foot over this censorship debacle).

99% of the time, it's only Origin or GFs that get released on DVD.

I remember when Optus had shared PayTV rights with Fox, they had their own RL channel that showed replays of old games. Although Fox hopefully will also do something similar when they get their own NRL channel next year, it will only be the classic matches that the media has mentioned in the past or games that have appeared on Fox's Chooseday Night Football that will be shown. There are heaps of other classic matches that won't be get a look in.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
And just for you Quigs, since you are a Sharks supporter, I hope you enjoy these 2 memorable matches from 2002/2005 that I found and am surprised has still remained standing more than 8 years later without being taken down (maybe someone in the NRL administration is/was a closet Sharks fan):

Latest posts