What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
Gasnier played for Australia at 20 years of age and Cooper starting playing NRL regularly at 21, so when they were Lomax's current age were both representative players.
What a load a crap.
Cooper was never aa regular fg until 24and played reps at 25.
Gasnier played a one off game V PNG same as lomax has.
Gaz was 23 before he played NSW and 24 test footy

st.phil

Bench
Lomax is not Gasnier. Zac is a talented player but has not got the explosive speed and evasion that made Gaz one of the greatest centre's of all time, Zac's ceiling is far lower and thats not being cruel it's just reality. Treat yourself to some of Gaz highlights, what we'd all give to have a player in our colours doing that to opposition teams

Unsainty79

Juniors
I feel a bit sorry for Lomax. I don’t think he deserves to be dropped, if anything he looks like he needs a spell from the game in general.

We’re so guilty of spreading it to him 30-40 meters out from our own line to try and spark something but I don’t think that’s his game. I think he’s much, much better getting ball closer to the line.

If you watch Manu and the Chooks when they’re 20-30 out from the opposition line and the play the ball is toward the right hand side of the field, Manu swings in and around the first receiver on the left hand side and gets a lot of ball there in centre field and does a lot of damage. I’m not saying Lomax would do the same damage, but it would be good to see him float around a bit more, particularly when we’re attacking close to the line. He’s so good in the air, too - would be nice to see some centre placed kicks around the ruck and middle forwards to see if he could jag one or two.

We have such a shocking habit of run block/sweep plays and getting Mbye caught on the last because he doesn’t have the toe to get outside his defender. Not having a crack at Mbye, he’s probably been one of our better players this year.

slippery5

Juniors
So he needs a stint in Ressies ? Do you believe there should be more expectation & harder marking on our most well paid players ( with the higher money comes leadership & positive examples ) I do
Storm have signed Jack Howarth 2.4million for 4 yrs & hasn't even played NRL yet, so money doesn't really determine whether they are leaders or not but it's more about keeping them in the system for when you start reaping the rewards. Aka Jonathan Thurston was let go from the bulldogs & look how that ended.

denis preston

First Grade
I think you've got him, Check mate!!!!!!!
The quote was : At Lomax's age Gasnier was on the wing and Cooper wasn't a regular first grader.

Concede on Cooper but at Lomax's age Gasnier had played 63 games with 6 games on the wing. Love to play chess against you !!!

rasaint

Juniors
Don’t have to make comparisons really. Zac is an unremarkable NRL centre playing for the St George Illawarra dragons and is a good goal kicker.
Gaznier and Cooper both flyers. Zac is not and watch him get burnt off by Bradman Best in Newcastle game and Nick Meaney in Storm game.
Whilst lacking dash Zac may make a good back rower as he seems strong and carries pretty well in traffic.

BBTB

Juniors
Don’t have to make comparisons really. Zac is an unremarkable NRL centre playing for the St George Illawarra dragons and is a good goal kicker.
Gaznier and Cooper both flyers. Zac is not and watch him get burnt off by Bradman Best in Newcastle game and Nick Meaney in Storm game.
Whilst lacking dash Zac may make a good back rower as he seems strong and carries pretty well in traffic.
Not in the same league as GAZ, defends nowhere near COPPER. Lomax Goalkicker, reasonable. Just give the ball straight to RAVA, Let him score the tries, you can have go at the conversions.

denis preston

First Grade
Storm have signed Jack Howarth 2.4million for 4 yrs & hasn't even played NRL yet, so money doesn't really determine whether they are leaders or not but it's more about keeping them in the system for when you start reaping the rewards. Aka Jonathan Thurston was let go from the bulldogs & look how that ended.
I think that is ridicules money for someone who hasn't played one game of NRL. It may demonstrate how much outside money Melbourne has at it's disposal from endorsements etc. I believe he is from QLD. How strong would the Broncos & Cowboys be if Melbourne didn't keep stealing their promising players ? South Queensland indeed.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think that is ridicules money for someone who hasn't played one game of NRL. It may demonstrate how much outside money Melbourne has at it's disposal from endorsements etc. I believe he is from QLD. How strong would the Broncos & Cowboys be if Melbourne didn't keep stealing their promising players ? South Queensland indeed.
Don't worry about the Broncos. They will have enough young ones coming through their system to keep them going. I feel that they are starting to get their stride in both defence and attack with Reynolds the man responsible. All of the players are showing enthusiasm and more commitment this year that's for sure. They will be hard for us to beat.

The Cowboys as well are doing great guns.

BLM01

First Grade
What does it matter where the money comes from, you still think someone getting 600K a year who has not played NRL ridiculous. Newc basically did that for Ponga in his 1st real NRL contract, allowing for CPI over time
But are you also saying Melbourne recruitment are over paying for a player and could be losing the plot. How much did Roosters pay for Sualli and Warriors Reece Walsh NRL unseen?
I know nothing about the kid, but time will tell.

denis preston

First Grade
What does it matter where the money comes from, you still think someone getting 600K a year who has not played NRL ridiculous. Newc basically did that for Ponga in his 1st real NRL contract, allowing for CPI over time
But are you also saying Melbourne recruitment are over paying for a player and could be losing the plot. How much did Roosters pay for Sualli and Warriors Reece Walsh NRL unseen?
I know nothing about the kid, but time will tell.
Wasn't there a kids that Penrith and Tigers signed up on big coin about 10-15 years ago that didn't even make 1 NRL game.

BLM01

First Grade
Wasn't there a kids that Penrith and Tigers signed up on big coin about 10-15 years ago that didn't even make 1 NRL game.
and?. who?. Is it a risk? Yes..but any player is in fact 1 injury or 1 bad night out from retiring from NRL
You have had to go back a while for a name unknown to prove your point, tells me many have paid off!

denis preston

First Grade
and?. who?. Is it a risk? Yes..but any player is in fact 1 injury or 1 bad night out from retiring from NRL
You have had to go back a while for a name unknown to prove your point, tells me many have paid off!
You make it sound like many clubs invest this sort of money on unproven players. How do they justify this investment into their total cap spend . Doesn’t seem the case with theDragons.