What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

BLM01

First Grade
No problem at all, and Im not disputing you.
It was more than one media outlet that made the claim Zac was promised xyz.

I think he's a centre, thats all. I could be wrong and he may well do well at 1.
Ahh the media...never let the facts get in the way of a good story..aka Ben Hunt
I 100% agree with you. he is a NRL centre but he is 20...could prove us doubters wrong :)

Dragonsamy

Bench
You're not wrong - let's get him up to the standard of some of the good Dragons No. 1's first (like Brian Johnson, Mick Potter, Darius Boyd) before we start comparing him to our greatest fullback.

Couldn't agree more Walpole,
He need to prove he is a regular first grader first.
We certainly have had some fantastic full backs over the years

blacksafake

First Grade
No problem at all, and Im not disputing you.
It was more than one media outlet that made the claim Zac was promised xyz.

I think he's a centre, thats all. I could be wrong and he may well do well at 1.
I'm sure i read a quote where L plate was quoted as saying Zac will be given 1st crack at fullback.
I also agree that he's a dead set centre.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Going out on a limb here, but I think Zac is going to be a very good fullback much in the mold of Ponga (not for 1 min suggesting as good as). Pinga actually makes a fair few errors at fullback, but they are masked by his brilliance in attack. I think Zac has the same capacity to do what Ponga does in attack. He has momentum speed and a very good sidestep.
I think some plays centred around him in attack, especially between the half way and attacking 30, would really show why he was signed long term. If only we had a coach who could do that!

getsmarty

Immortal
lomaxz-2gp_1897.jpg

DRAGONS

Zac on the attack: Lomax welcomes pressure of expectation
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 6 Dec 2019, 03:01 PM

Zac Lomax says he won't pay much mind to any scrutiny that comes with his long-term contract.

St George Illawarra have invested heavily in the talented 20-year-old utility back, locking him down until at least 2025 with a five-year extension.

It's the longest deal in the joint-venture club's history alongside that of halfback Ben Hunt, who has an option for a sixth season.

And while Hunt has copped his fair share of vitriol since joining the Dragons last year, Lomax believes he's ready for the challenge despite having only 17 NRL games to his name.

"We play NRL and we're expected to be the best, we're expected to not drop any footballs from a fan's point of view," said Lomax, who is set to start next season at fullback.

"But you expect pressure, it's a part of everyday life. I'm happy to be able to have pressure on me but I don't sort of look at it in that way.

"I'm just more than happy that I get to stay here. I'm here with my friends, my teammates - and my teammates are like brothers to me now and they have been since I've come in.

Dragons' top five tries of 2019

"I'm really happy with the decision that we've made. I know it's the right one."

Lomax credited the influence of manager Steve Gillis and friends and family away from the game with keeping him grounded.

Having been part of the St George Illawarra system since he was 13, Lomax said he felt indebted to the Dragons for their role in his development and overall support.

Five key matchups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

"There was no hesitation [in re-signing]. My heart and my family's heart is set on Wollongong and the Dragons," Lomax said.

"We grew up playing for Temora which is the Red V as well. To be able to stay here and sign for the club for a long period of time, it's very humbling."

Family was "massive" in convincing Lomax to stay - he desperately hopes to play alongside 21-year-old brother Hayden in the NRL.

A nuggety utility forward, Hayden endured an injury-plagued 2019 but has re-signed with the Dragons until the end of 2021 and will push for a Telstra Premiership debut.

"He's my brother but he's my best friend. We've done everything together and that's the way we want to stay," Lomax said of Hayden.

"That's been a goal since we were kids. We want to be able to one day pull on the Red V jersey together.

"I'm so confident that he's going to put in the work, because you won't meet a harder trainer than him and you won't meet a better fella than him."

Hayden declared it would "mean the world" to feature for St George Illawarra with his sibling.

He hasn't had any discussions with the coaching staff about making the leap to first grade just yet.

dsc_0283.jpg

Zac and Hayden Lomax. :copyright:dragons.com.au
"I think they're more just focused on me getting my body right, having a good year in 2020 and just hopefully playing some consistent footy," Hayden said.

Meanwhile, the younger Lomax said he'll aim to bring a non-stop work-rate at fullback, a la Raiders custodian Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad.

"I guess I just want to be known as that player who's going to compete on every play," Lomax said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/06/zac-on-the-attack-lomax-welcomes-pressure-of-expectation/

Crush

Coach
Yep @blacksafake the operative word being "crack"
Mary lost faith in Dufty last year anyway and after his form improved in patches during the year not sure why
I've stated this before but if Mary thinks Lomax is our fullback for 2020 then he should use appropriate language.
Saying stuff like Lomax will get first crack doesn't instill much confidence in the player?
How about this kind of language "we feel that Zac is our best fullback and see him having a long career as Dragons number 1. He will only get better with experience as well and we believe that he can develop into the best fullback in the NRL"

Then the players might start to respond positively and own a position.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
I've stated this before but if Mary thinks Lomax is our fullback for 2020 then he should use appropriate language.
Saying stuff like Lomax will get first crack doesn't instill much confidence in the player?
How about this kind of language "we feel that Zac is our best fullback and see him having a long career as Dragons number 1. He will only get better with experience as well and we believe that he can develop into the best fullback in the NRL"

Not enough grey matter

blacksafake

First Grade

Exactly.
Trouble is he’ll blink when Zac makes a few errors & then proceed to shove him out to the wing.

BLM01

First Grade
I don't think Zac should be selected at fullback for the record but if they are going to do it at least do it with conviction!
Maybe they are not convinced cause they know he is a centre. He has not convinced nobody he is up to NRL fullback yet.
I agree with mary on this one..give it a crack but be prepared to slot him staright into centre if he is not up to it and we all knw what that means for Marys mates.
They are respecting his wishes to give it a try at the moment cause in his rightful position at centre Mary does not know how to budge the encumbents out as it will affect his mateship..and Euie is strong mates with JDB.

Crush

Coach
Maybe they are not convinced cause they know he is a centre. He has not convinced nobody he is up to NRL fullback yet.
I agree with mary on this one..give it a crack but be prepared to slot him staright into centre if he is not up to it and we all knw what that means for Marys mates.
They are respecting his wishes to give it a try at the moment cause in his rightful position at centre Mary does not know how to budge the encumbents out as it will affect his mateship..and Euie is strong mates with JDB.
Fullback is arguably the most important player in the modern day game and we are just giving a kid a crack because we wanted his signature? And then if he fails (which the coach suspects he will) he goes back to the wing or centre with his tail between his legs?
Great plan SGI.

TruSaint

Referee
Fullback is arguably the most important player in the modern day game and we are just giving a kid a crack because we wanted his signature? And then if he fails (which the coach suspects he will) he goes back to the wing or centre with his tail between his legs?
Great plan SGI.

Spot on. Every time i hear the words " first crack " coming out of Mary's mouth, it makes me puke. Mann was given first crack... for TWO games. Now maybe he wasnt the right guy, but if thats Mary's definition of given a crack. .

Crush

Coach
Of our current roster, who would you play fullback if you were to select the team?
This is the position I would have really tried to recruit from outside the current roster. We need a strong fullback, haven't had one for years.
But if working with the current roster I would probably have to say Dufty. He clearly has deficiencies but he does have some serious strengths also. If you could just get his bomb catching confidence up....
Anyways I'm sure we haven't seen the end of Dufty, he will play his fair share of NRL next year.

BLM01

First Grade
Great plan SGI.
God knows what goes through Mc85's mind. But I can assure you the wing experiment will be over.
Zac just wanted a chance in pre-season at fullback because the club is still unsure where to go with that...that is all why it happened. No guarantees but it cant hurt after last year can it not..especially if the decision on Dufty has been made he is not wanted?..which may be the case..I am not sure.

Zac is humble enough if it does not work out in pre-season or even a few games he will play centre I am sure. Like the Ponga to 6 experiment..they pulled the pin early enough no real drama.
Problem with Mann he went from a starting 1 back to reggies or utility. That was a mistake. He deserved a centre or winger starting spot if fullback was not his go...which it never has been anyway..another stupid Mc85 decision.
They wont make the same mistake me thinks with Zac. He will be a starting centre if not fullback. I think he will end up there sooner than later anyway....but I have been wrong many times before...we will see!

Latest posts