What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to put your selector's cap on

Canard

Immortal
I do feel a little for Joe Mennie, everyone seems happy to give Ferguson another shot after scoring next to no runs, whilst Mennie only got to bowl one innings and everyone (including myself) wants him gone.

Not me, they both should be banned to the Phantom Zone for mine.

Mr Bean

Juniors
Getting rid of James Sutherland & Pat Howard would be my first step along with this rested rotational rubbish for our fast bowlers.
Can you image Glenn McGrath coming through the system now. He would be breaking down every 2nd test the way these sport scientists morons operate on data.
Piss Voges off too.Give some off the younger players ago. We don't have the players coming through Sheffield shield that have been scoring heavily for the past 5 years +. So I would rather give the youngsters who are keen in Pattinson & Maddison a go soon than waste time on fluffs like Voges & Ferguson.
I look at Eng and they are not afraid to blood young players. Cook debut at 21 Flintoff 20, Broad 21. Hameed last week at 19. Some take time to get going like Flintoff but in the long run isn't better to get these guys in the system now to give them a taste and further developed their careers, then wait and wait for players like Mark Cosgrove to never come good?
A lot of people are worried about throwing them in too soon but they can't do much worse then some of the deadbeats in front of them.

Bazal

Post Whore
Getting rid of James Sutherland & Pat Howard would be my first step along with this rested rotational rubbish for our fast bowlers.
Can you image Glenn McGrath coming through the system now. He would be breaking down every 2nd test the way these sport scientists morons operate on data.
Piss Voges off too.Give some off the younger players ago. We don't have the players coming through Sheffield shield that have been scoring heavily for the past 5 years +. So I would rather give the youngsters who are keen in Pattinson & Maddison a go soon than waste time on fluffs like Voges & Ferguson.
I look at Eng and they are not afraid to blood young players. Cook debut at 21 Flintoff 20, Broad 21. Hameed last week at 19. Some take time to get going like Flintoff but in the long run isn't better to get these guys in the system now to give them a taste and further developed their careers, then wait and wait for players like Mark Cosgrove to never come good?
A lot of people are worried about throwing them in too soon but they can't do much worse then some of the deadbeats in front of them.

No but you can go a hell of a long way towards wrecking a quality young player by throwing him in before his time, especially with the pressure to perform Aussie cricketers are always under these days. Look at Phil Hughes. Or Usman Khawaja prior to the last season or so. How many low Test match scores before Bancroft or Patterson or Head or Maddinson are the targets of posts almost exactly like this...? I'd give it about four.

Hughes failed because he listened to idiots and changed his game instead of sticking with what worked for him like Steve Smith has

Bazal

Post Whore
Hughes failed because he listened to idiots and changed his game instead of sticking with what worked for him like Steve Smith has

And he did that because of his failures at Test level, because he felt it would get him back in the side. He hadn't developed his game or his confidence to the point that he could say "no, you know what, this is the way I play."

IMO Steve Smith has had a majorly different career to most top order batsmen in that he started more as a bowler or an all-rounder, so there was less pressure on his game as a batsman. I think that's a big reason he has such confidence in his own game. He's worked it out naturally, without that pressure, as he's moved higher up the order and batted more.

aussies1st

Staff member
Burns needs to go but can't see the selectors dropping him unless Rod's exit triggers it. Hanscombe probably will be blooded.

Bird should have been there in the first test, we know he's a good option at this level so I'd leave him out of the dead rubber and see what Sayers can do. Bird back next series.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
No but you can go a hell of a long way towards wrecking a quality young player by throwing him in before his time, especially with the pressure to perform Aussie cricketers are always under these days. Look at Phil Hughes. Or Usman Khawaja prior to the last season or so. How many low Test match scores before Bancroft or Patterson or Head or Maddinson are the targets of posts almost exactly like this...? I'd give it about four.

It didnt help that they dropped Hughes everytime he had a bad test.

If we go the youth route it means short term pain for hopefully long term gain. it means sticking with them unless they are criminally bad like mitch marsh who is literally the worst test batsman batting in the top 6

Incorrect

Coach
Let's hope Albion have signed off on some overtime for their baggy green cap staff cause there's bound to be a spike in orders coming through for merkins making their Test debut in the next few months...

And on Mr Bean's point about the nonsensical rotation policy for the bowlers, I couldn't agree more. The last straw for me was Hazelwood being made to sit out the domestic 1 day final - what, the man can't bowl 10 overs (at most) a week and a half out from a Test match?? That decision should have been the subject of far more scrutiny and ridicule than it was.

I don't expect miracles and for a team similar to the one below to beat Pakistan at home and India away, but like most I'd start planning and picking for the future and going this way;

Warner
Bancroft
Khawaja
Smith
Ferguson
Maddinson
Nevill
Starc
Hazelwood
Bird *
Lyon

* Really wish Jason Behrendorff could re-capture the form he showed a couple of summers ago. Maybe he will yet, still hope for him at 26. I would like for him to step it up and take that 3rd seamer spot because the worry with Bird is that if the ball ain't swinging he becomes a bit "Mennie-like"... and there's already too Many Mennie's in Australian cricket.... Obviously Cummins would be great to have there but it's looking more and more like he's Shaun Tait MKII - a white ball bowler only....

The GOAT stays because, as has been pointed out, finger spinners don't really ever do well in Perth - the fact Maharaj and Duminy picked up a couple in Perth says more about our abysmal batting than it does their finger-spinning wizardry. And the Hobart track was made for seam and swing and Lyon shouldn't have played - that was poor selection (no surprises there). Couple that with having only 85 first innings runs in the bank and there ain't a finger spinner anywhere who's going to thrive in those conditions

Ferguson gets another go. I'd probably give him 2 Tests v Pakistan also to show a bit of faith. I understand people might say that he's getting more latitude than Mennie but the Hobart pitch was tailor made for bowling and Mennie was more pedestrian than a zebra crossing. If Ferguson fails again and again, then, like AlwaysGreen I think has mentioned, I'd be tempted to give Burns a go down the order. I'm certain his most productive period at first class level came before he was moved up the order.

Maddinson averaging a tick over 37 after 40 1st class games is probably one to pick and stick with for 2 years IMO - it's not a great record by any means but the reality is, after that many 1st class matches, he's the best candidate under the age of 25 and one for the future (we hope). Cricket Australia need to get real with these blokes because from the outside looking in, collectively they seem soft and carry themselves with an air of entitlement. Less coaches, let's have Lehmann and AB in the dressing room, someone who can tell the merkins they need to wake up because the blokes they're struggling to score runs off now aren't even a shadow of the blokes throwing them down against the last era of struggling Aussie Test teams and that if they are fair dinkum and reckon they're international standard show it on the pitch, not on Instagram.

Bazal

Post Whore
People want a young talent, what about Travis Dean? A hundred today and a bunch of runs in his debut season,averaged 48 before today's knock...

Bazal

Post Whore
People want a young talent, what about Travis Dean? A hundred today and a bunch of runs in his debut season,averaged 48 before today's knock...

Scratch that,I was looking at the app and got my bearings wrong. He doesn't average 48...

oldmancraigy

Coach
In Lyons entire career he has ONLY bowled well vs NZ and the Windies.

There was no case to pick him over SOK when he was first selected and evry day week and month that has rolled by has failed to change status.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
why is Faulkner never considered for the all rounder spot? Stats seem decent at shield level, batting average 31 bowling average 24

Latest posts