What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to put your selector's cap on

T-Boon

Coach
IMO Steve Smith has had a majorly different career to most top order batsmen in that he started more as a bowler or an all-rounder, so there was less pressure on his game as a batsman. I think that's a big reason he has such confidence in his own game. He's worked it out naturally, without that pressure, as he's moved higher up the order and batted more.

He was always a way better batsman in my opinion.

He was viewed as a potential replacement for Warnie when we were obsessed with that idea (see Cameron White). But he was never all that good at leg spin.

In his debut shield season aged 18 or 19 he average about 46 with the bat and scored a few centuries - while still working out his game.

But you are certainly right about his progression in the Australian team - spinner, then all rounder then out and out batsman.

Bazal

Post Whore
why is Faulkner never considered for the all rounder spot? Stats seem decent at shield level, batting average 31 bowling average 24

Because we seem insistent on batting our all rounder at 6, and he's not a top six bat.

I've long been a fan of the idea of batting him in a destructive number 7 role...he's good enough to hang around if needed, and when the top order does eventually fire he's damaging enough to really hurt teams. I wouldn't even be averse to using Maxwell in the same way

Bazal

Post Whore
Handscomb has scored runs at the right time, absolutely....but let's be realistic here. He averages 38 over 60 FC games before that knock, and at the age of almost 26 is probably quite close to being as good as he'll get.

He deserves a run in the side on form but I'd be shocked if he's the long term answer in the middle order.

tomdl

Bench
Didn't know his average was that low.
Has it gone up since he gave up the gloves?

Think I read he was averaging 74 in his last 10 shield innings before his double today so that will be ever higher now.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
A lot may depend on how Kurtis Patterson goes today, averaging over 55 so far this season and currently not out overnight

oldmancraigy

Coach
Handscomb has scored runs at the right time, absolutely....but let's be realistic here. He averages 38 over 60 FC games before that knock, and at the age of almost 26 is probably quite close to being as good as he'll get.

He deserves a run in the side on form but I'd be shocked if he's the long term answer in the middle order.

Average is now over 40, which isn't the norm for most of our shield level batsmen (sadly).

He is much bettr than his average suggests.
First 3 seasons
25 matches 1260 runs at an avg of 30. 1 century

Since then
35 matches 2594 runs avg 49.88. 8 centuries

Seems to have sorted himself out and is a no brainer of a selection?

Red Bear

Referee
In Lyons entire career he has ONLY bowled well vs NZ and the Windies.

There was no case to pick him over SOK when he was first selected and evry day week and month that has rolled by has failed to change status.
Thats not true. Averages under 30 against England, and just over 30 in England. Averages mid 30's against a bunch others, not great but not awful (e.g. his average against the Saffa's is 36, but that includes his recent two terrible tests, so he was OK before that).

He cops far too much stick on his career, where he has generally been quite good. He's not gone great in the sub continent/UAE, but then he's also never had anything to bowl at there given our batting failures, and any spinner who grows up using bounce as their weapon is gonna struggle over there.

I'm not at all against Lyon getting dropped, he looks shot at present, but his record is solid. Been our best post Warne comfortably.

As already mentioned, Handscombe has been pretty good for a while. Six centuries accross the previous two seasons and a solid start this year.

Handscombe in for Voges is a reasonable call. I would pick Bird over Mennie, but am not upset if they don't do it because one innings isn't really a fair reflection. Still surprised he has got as far as he has. I don't rate O'Keefe all that highly but I think Lyon needs a stint in the shield at present. Burns just failed again which isn't great.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Patterson made 58. I think he's averaging around 43 in first class cricket.

I think they'll give Ferguson another go.

Patterson isn't far off though.

They can't pick Burns again.

I'd go:

Dean
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Ferguson
Handscomb
Nevill
SOK
Starc
Hazlewood
Bird

Or if you didn't want to go Dean you could do this:

Khawaja
Warner
Smith
Patterson
Ferguson
Handscomb
Nevill
SOK
Starc
Hazlewood
Bird

If Nevill keeps failing with the bat they may have to consider giving the gloves to Handscomb.

They will also probably pick Lyon again.

Mr Spock!

Referee
O'keefe and Lyon combined v VIc - 1 for 248 off 76 overs......

Can SOK keep himself fit for tests?

tomdl

Bench
Patterson made 58. I think he's averaging around 43 in first class cricket.

I think they'll give Ferguson another go.

Patterson isn't far off though.

They can't pick Burns again.

I'd go:

Dean
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Ferguson
Handscomb
Nevill
SOK
Starc
Hazlewood
Bird

Or if you didn't want to go Dean you could do this:

Khawaja
Warner
Smith
Patterson
Ferguson
Handscomb
Nevill
SOK
Starc
Hazlewood
Bird

If Nevill keeps failing with the bat they may have to consider giving the gloves to Handscomb.

They will also probably pick Lyon again.

Dean is average. Insanely inconsistent and gets out for under 20 way too much. Renshaw is much better. Scored 94 against South Africa A early this year and I am fairly sure Philander was bowling in that match. Dean has made 0,1 and 0 in his 3 innings for Aus A.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Renshaw looks an exciting prospect but surely throwing him in this early won't be in his best interests??? And back to Wade ffs, is his batting really that good to cover up for the fact he has stumps for hands??? And he isn't even great form with the bat.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Contemporary Australian cricket logic - you made a hundred yesterday come have a game in the test side tomorrow

Latest posts