What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R25 - Gameday Warriors v Manly

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Is there anybody other than Glen Larmer who can get Olakau’atu and Tuilagi mixed up for 80 mins ?

Apart from the fact they play on opposite sides of the park, one is an absolute giant and one was wearing headgear, they look identical …
The commentary tonight was pretty f**king special

Kilkenny

Coach
On the other side you probably argue that CNK having absolutely no control over the tackle does put Garrick into a dangerous position and doesn’t cover the duty of care factor for the tackler

I’m not sure either way tbh

Seibold has gone off in the press conference
And rightfully so. It was a terrible call.

Blair

Coach
Is there anybody other than Glen Larmer who can get Olakau’atu and Tuilagi mixed up for 80 mins ?

Apart from the fact they play on opposite sides of the park, one is an absolute giant and one was wearing headgear, they look identical …
I was mates with Larmer at uni and we watched my beloved Raiders lose to his Penrith together in '91. I haven't seen him since those days and was thinking about getting back in touch.

But you're putting me off!

Got to love the entrance!

Crowd looks good!

So we swap out Barnett for Bunty to drop the ball! At least Barnett scored first!

Pass was poor.

Shiet grab by AFB on Arthur and poor effort by CNK goes low. Arthur was smashed by Bunty in the set and got up! Lucky Bunty still on field! Late and whiplash!

0-6 3mins

Manly spreading it early.

AFB pushed in play the ball, selling it but ref not buying.

Berry clearly taken out chasing the bomb, took ref a few sec to call it.

6 again Manly inside the 10m.

Metcalf greedy with 2 men outside and tackled 2m out. But next play Captain Harris takes them in and scores next to post! Did the ball touch grass?

6-6 9mins Pompey conversion duties.

Manly knock on in their 40m.

Wow, quick hands by CNK and Berry to set up DWZ score in the corner. Great speed and execution.

10-6 13mins

Manly inside the 10m, starting on their 35m.

AFB again worked in tackle and nothing for him.

DWZ a barging run, bumping them off and footwork to score!

16-6 18mins

Niukore knocks on kickoff that's driven low towards sideline.

Saab scores way to easy out wide. Wrap around to create numbers.

Mistakes costing both sides.

16-10 19mins

DCE knocks on offload on their 40m.

Instant 6 again.

Egan bullet grubber grabbed by Manly and held in goal.

Short dropout regathered by Manly.

Manly held Montoya to long and penalised.

Starting on out 40m.

Metcalf scores, DCE choose to tackle Ford but called back for obstruction, DCE sets himself to tackle not slide. Poor call.

No try.

Manly starts halfway.

Ruben claiming a try, looked lost ball but Jake offload it. CNK hand under Ruben, went up no try. CNK grounds first. Lucky.

Dropout. Regathered!

Ford penalised for holding down in ruck, compared to what's happened to AFB it was nothing.

Manly on our 40m.

Saab to easy in the corner. Montoya jamming in to much. Metcalf not pushing out off Ford.

16-16 30mins

Manly 3rd man in hit DWZ knees, slow to play it. Not happy. Nothing again!

SJ kick for DWZ can't get full speed.

Pompey knocks on intercept opportunity.

Warriors penalised for inside the 10m on Manly 20m. SJ looked onside just sprinted in. Manly start on our 40m.

Manly kick it into Berry called restart, played at???

Saab scores off a ball on ground forward 3m, but Manly run into Metcalf, how can he slide out like DCE before? Harper runs into Pompey?? Thumb touch? Fix in??? f**k me. Incompetent ref bastards.

16-22 39mins converted to rub salt into the wound!

HALFTIME

Manly kicked taken dead, but Garret in front of kicker. Challenged, successful.

Penalised and start on out 30m.

6 again 20m out on Egan to long, 6 again next tackle held to long again.

Montoya taken Into touch trying to go around outside. Needed to straighten up in tackle 1!

AFB penalised for not square! Manly on halfway.

Manly knock ball forward with tap on pass, they decided to call it this time.

SJ continued to be pulled in tackle off a held call and nothing but a walk off the mark, poor call, clear 6 again.

SJ bomb returned and DWZ held Manly up and assistance drags him out on 25m.

Curran over but held up and confirmed by bunker.

DWZ in the corner under HUGE pressure!

22-22 52mins converted!

Manly done for not square at marker. Starting on halfway.

Montoya knocks it on, challenged, DCE looked at kicking a low blow in there! Challenge unsuccessful 55m out.

DWZ knocks on bomb that doesn't even touch an arm 10m out. If only we had a challenge.

Manly held up over line.

Arthur's passe to DWZ 5m out, Garrick gets him 60m out, DWZ sells 2nd effort in tackle but gets nothing.

Neither Manly players square and Egan tackled, clear penalty let go on last! Fix is in.

Arthur can't take offload. Challenged.

Jake bobbles on ground let go. Challenge successful. Fix is in.

Manly been holding SJ after kick all night.

Egan off HIA!

DWZ cops a high shot and Manly penalised.
Starting 55m out. Jake looked tto effect a crusher tackle on CNK tackle before.

Berry puts down a double pump pass 20m out.

Montoya stays down. Head clash. Off HIA.

Egan apparent hamstring not HIA.

Manly lose ball 20m out in CNK and Curran tackle. Challenged, CNK pulls hand out and ball came with it! Dumb!

Manly taking the 2 and miss!!

WTF, dangerous position tackle? Never past horizontal but player ducked into it. Ford between the legs. Fix is in!!!

DCE field goal charged down by CNK, bouncing ball Garrick tackled by CNK in air but ball bouncing and lands on his back and let's ball go! Scrum Warriors!!!!

AFB stripped and Lussick regather on halfway.

SJ draws Manly out of line and put Niukore into the hole for a 35m run to score! Garrick lumbering towards him

28-22 74mins

Manly shortish kickoff. Harper forearm to Matcalfes face, Touchie right there and nothing!!! Fix is in!

Then again on Ford next tackle, refs want to do anything??? Two clear penalties!

AFB drops ball jumping and not looking at pass 30m out.

Aurthur kick regathered by Warriors but called accidental offside as it hit Metcalfe after Curran.

DCE ppass knocked on by SJ hand.

Manly knock on first tackle!

Harper finally penalised for to long in the ruck!

SJ takes the 1 point!
Manly players offside putting pressure on.

29-22 79mins.

Manly with long kickoff.

AFB been in slowmo for last 2 mins.

FULLTIME.

Last edited:
Why are people considering resting people? We had a bye 2 weeks ago to freshen up. It's full steam ahead now. No rests. Poor mindset. Injuries can happen anytime, anywhere.
Because Panthers have done in past few years and won, so others will copy.

I think Garrick had to land on his neck for there to be a penalty.

I thought it was a definite penalty. CNK didnt mean to injure him obviously but it shouldve been penalised. Cant take people out in the air.
If Garrick goes past horizontal it's dangerous and penalty, but luckly for him he didnt come down on neck and landed flat on his back. But yes looked worse than the Ford past horizontal tackle that player ducked into.
Did Garrick assumed penalty and let ball go?

Its also dangerous for a forward going in with his head and turning and head clash like on Montoya? Same argument it dangerous and player couldn't finish the game. But current rules say play on.

Last edited:
What I don’t get is Montoya’s cranium got absolutely pulverised when he was almost standing still and no-one cares? If CNK has done something wrong by trying to make a normal tackle then surely the flying headbutt is something too?

12 v 12 if it’s Union that’s for sure
**Really need to read ahead!**
Great point.

Yeah there was clear contact with the head there- I thought it was a penalty at least (sufficient I’d say as it was clearly accidental and not careless/reckless, but still the onus is on the tackler there)
Was it Wade Graham or Dale Fanucan that got 3 weeks for something similar when racing out of the line while back.

On the other side you probably argue that CNK having absolutely no control over the tackle does put Garrick into a dangerous position and doesn’t cover the duty of care factor for the tackler

I’m not sure either way tbh

Seibold has gone off in the press conference
He went full Ricky!
It's a sensational point to focus on but ref also missed JT not square at marker on last tackling Egan in front. There is a gift 2 points missed.
Saab's last try in first half looked forward and had question marks all over it. There is 6 points.

If we turn it to a penalty we will have player jumping up at bouncing balls to win penalties. And if landing on you back hard is dangerous/a penalty games in big trouble.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
He went full Ricky!
It's a sensational point to focus on but ref also missed JT not square at marker on last tackling Egan in front. There is a gift 2 points missed.
Saab's last try in first half looked forward and had question marks all over it. There is 6 points.

If we turn it to a penalty we will have player jumping up at bouncing balls to win penalties. And if landing on you back hard is dangerous/a penalty games in big trouble.
It wasn’t the fact he was touched while in the air, it’s that CNK had absolutely zero control in the tackle at all. If he grabs him in the air and holds him, there isn’t a dangerous position at all, but if a guy is in the air and you come through with an arm and take his legs out, it’s a dangerous position and zero control. He may have landed on his back, but while in the air, did his legs go past the horizontal ? Could compare it to a guy in the air after a kick, wrapping motion is fine, no attempt to tackle properly is not. Don’t know when the term came in, but have heard it the last couple of years about how the tackler has the duty of care when making his tackle, Charnze didn’t have that at all

End of the day, that wasn’t the worst call in the game, and we had a chance to defend it. Setting up for the droppie 3rd play before even exploring the Saab avenue was a poor option by DCE too. I thought the Harris try was worse, unless the bunker had secret angles, there was a hand under the ball when it first went over the line. I thought Garricks hand was clearly first to the ball as well, but we scored a min or 2 later to cancel that out

If that ginger headed clown is getting on the plane today, JT will probably be called out again. Did my head in the whole game watching how he would stand straight up after making his tackle, and the Warriors players would stand up and jump to the side to play it and the ref took it hook line and sinker, think it was 7-2 on the set restarts. Smart tactic by the Warriors which I’ve seen them use all year. Don’t see many players stay on the park for the Afoa hit either

Nice to be at the top of the ladder and get the calls :p

Last edited:

Leber

Bench
Seibold is a whinger. The call was in the rules and was technically correct. Nothing to complain about except for how unfortunate it was.

however, all bias aside (well, trying to at least) the metcalf no try was the wrong call. DCE made first contact with ford.

it annoys me that when a controversial call (that is technically right) gets airtime, while a wrong call does not.

GoSouths

Juniors

Its a fair rant from Seibold. Gave Sticky a run for his money. If that was CNK on the other end of it, no one here would be impressed. But I get what Webby was saying too - that its scary but its part of the game.

I didnt mind seeing DCE up there all sad. The number of times hes stitched us up in the last minute or in golden point over the years.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
however, all bias aside (well, trying to at least) the metcalf no try was the wrong call. DCE made first contact with ford.
The problem isn’t who made contact first, it’s that contact was made at all by the lead runner which however minor does inhibit the defender. If Ford isn’t where he shouldn’t be then no contact can be made

Bring back the 90s when halves were clever enough to create without needing people running ahead of the ball, attack was so much nicer to watch back then

Latest posts