What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

He hasn’t signed with anyone yet right?
Let’s see what happens, we still may get him.
This, plus Corey Allan is still out there looking for a top 30 contract somewhere.
Have not heard any rumours linking him to a move anywhere within the NRL.
Just think as a younger, versatile and fairly injury free player, would be a good get for the Dragons.

Dragon David

First Grade
We are almost at December 2023 and still we have only Sele and Flanno jnr signed. Tom Eisenhuth not confirmed as yet. I just wonder what is happening with recruitment? Are we actually negotiating with anyone? Will Flanagan say "those players that we have tried so damned hard to get want better deals than what we can offer so now we are having to go shopping at the Reject Shop to make up the numbers and being such a great coach, I will promise you Dragons fans that the club will still make the top 8 in 2024"?

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
We are almost at December 2023 and still we have only Sele and Flanno jnr signed. Tom Eisenhuth not confirmed as yet. I just wonder what is happening with recruitment? Are we actually negotiating with anyone? Will Flanagan say "those players that we have tried so damned hard to get want better deals than what we can offer so now we are having to go shopping at the Reject Shop to make up the numbers and being such a great coach, I will promise you Dragons fans that the club will still make the top 8 in 2024"?
It is a concern DD, but Flanno has already taken steps to delay a reaction from desperate fans. He has been quoted as saying something like there should be a couple of good signings before Christmas. That has bought him some time in my eyes, and I really hope that it is not just a stalling tactic.

possm

Coach
I get it all, can someone show me a way that we can spread the talent around, the salary cap is not working, some clubs have TPA's some dont, its obvious for the last decade that there is preferential treatment given to certain clubs, its obvious some clubs have never ending barrels of money to throw around under the guise of business management. I'm sick of harping on about this restraint of trade, but guess what if the league dont do something about the issues surrounding players and what clubs can have them, we are practically a 2 tier comp now and if this continues there will be no trade for certain teams. To me people say we must improve as a club to get the better players, I agree we must, especially in culture, but does that also mean we need to rort the salary cap better, Laundy got found out not so long ago and Politis has been at it for years with his back room deals and what happened to them, nothing. Anyway life goes on and we have a happy bunch of players being unrestricted because certain money pots are endless, and they and their corrupt managers know it.
NRL Draft is the only way to even things up.

Dragon David

First Grade
NRL Draft is the only way to even things up.
We wouldn't be looking at these options possm if we were doing great each year with top 8 results. It all boils down to the very poor decision making made by the Board to accept Bennett's word that Steve Price would be great as our head coach after Bennett's desertion of our club to go to the Knights and for the recruitment and retention people at that time to ensure that we had players that would continue to play great footy for the next umpteen years. Yes, sacking Price was good but then they go and put Mary in and we know where that ended as well.

We are commenting on how the NRL should make things fairer by a points system, draft system but the better clubs are not saying anything because they are doing fine. If we were doing fine we would also not be saying anything.

We have just got to get our house in ORDER. No Official in our club is even saying that the salary cap is not fair and another system with it or a draft is needed. They know it is up to them to get the ship right and sail on into success.

SnowDragon

Juniors
That worked out well in the past didn’t it. Junior pathways is the way to go, but you need to invest in the right players when the time comes.

2 points

-takes a good coach to work out who are the right players for the team, and then develop them
-I agree junior pathways is the most critical part, but that needs to built on with specific targeted signings.

Mojo

Bench
2 points

-takes a good coach to work out who are the right players for the team, and then develop them
-I agree junior pathways is the most critical part, but that needs to built on with specific targeted signings.
The number of guys that we develop, then let go, seems to me to be the proof of the pudding that we haven‘t had it right for a long, long time. Now we’re even trying to buy- back players we let go when they were just hitting their straps. St George and Illawarra has always been rich with junior talent. We should never, ever find ourselves playing semi-retired, ancient, average Queenslanders. Of course scouting young talent anywhere it can be found is icing on the cake. It’s as plain as the nose on our face that we’ve really let junior development fall apart over the past twenty years.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I think the major issue with our development is once they enter the top 30 squad, the development of those younger players tend to stagnate or they don't develop effectively. The best example is Zac Lomax, he's pretty much the same player as he was when he entered 1st grade. This is an area where I want to see major improvements moving forward.

Dragon David

First Grade
The number of guys that we develop, then let go, seems to me to be the proof of the pudding that we haven‘t had it right for a long, long time. Now we’re even trying to buy- back players we let go when they were just hitting their straps. St George and Illawarra has always been rich with junior talent. We should never, ever find ourselves playing semi-retired, ancient, average Queenslanders. Of course scouting young talent anywhere it can be found is icing on the cake. It’s as plain as the nose on our face that we’ve really let junior development fall apart over the past twenty years.
Well we need our scouts to do a lot of ground work to see who has great potential elsewhere that's for sure.

You take the Roosters for instance. They not only have signed Dominic Young for 2023+ but they have signed a young kid from under the noses of the Broncos in the name of Tyreece Tait a speedster similar to Josh Addo-Carr. https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...hing-job/b76d3f71-2d5c-4cf3-aeaf-bc9f4734ba5b

The Rabbitohs have signed a giant prop by the name of Jason Hallie, 19, who they see as Tom Burgess' successor. He is already 110 kilos and still growing.

Do we have any speedsters coming through and/or any giant props signed up?

Mojo

Bench
I think there’s also a challenge for us in that we often have quite a large talent pool. There’s limited spots available in 1st grade and a shortage of talent across the competition, so it needs a really keen eye to select the best and any others with any possible talent get poached. Being a development club in many ways sets us up as sinking investments into future talent for other clubs. It’s not a simple strategy to get right.

This is one of the reasons rich clubs with limited junior depth, like Storm and Roosters, have an advantage.

Latest posts