What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any old time BLR fans here?

rwaite

Juniors
Good in theory but the NRL club supporters on the whole have no interest in anything else and won't turn up early to watch another game.

The supporters of Queensland Cup clubs love their football because it isn't played in a concrete stadium with overpriced entry, food and drinks.

If properly promoted so people would know about it many people would turn out for the early Qld Cup before Broncos games particularly those Broncos fans who also support Redcliffe and Wynnum.

I do agree with you about the suburban grounds being a better deal in many respects. Love the community easy-going feel at the QLD Cup grounds.

Titanic

First Grade
There needs to be some consideration of the players' desire to play at NRL venues they all have aspirations.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
That's fine but they will lose most of their existing supporter base.

The joy of Queensland Cup football is that it is local and convenient.

Titanic

First Grade
Mate, I"m mainly with you on that but I didn't suggest that all games would be on the NRL undercard, just a game a week somewhere in either Brissie, Townsville or the Coast shouldn't impact negatively. A bit like getting a tv game, the players would look forward to it.

Old Darlin

Juniors
Glad to report that you can still get all of that at Queensland Cup games.

My mates and I who all grew up in the era you are talking about still get together in our regular spot at Kougari every home game. Our sons and daughters come as well and have a game of touch on the field at half time and after the game.

After the match, we stay there dissecting the game and solving the world's problems by which time the Wynnum players are making their way from the dressing room and some regularly stop for a chat.

Pleased that my sons have grown up with local football heroes like Monkey Maher and David Seage rather than the overpaid and over-hyped NRL players.

i played some juniors at wynnum with monkey - lovely bloke

Old Darlin

Juniors
Geoff Richardson a dual international who joined Wests from Teachers-Norths union in '74 (my failing memory thinks maybe he played union out of Townsville before that) but I don't know that he played the GF in '75 as I had gone to Sydney by then so trusting your memory he did.

He was a prodigious goal kicker but brought some real attacking flare to the team which had relied on the dependable Johnny White previously.He was a 5/8 and prematurely bald 25 in '74.

Richo was a teacher and the sports master at BBC last time I ran into him but that was years ago now.

My favourite story was a Test in 1975 at Lang Park v France. I'd come back to play in the curtain-raiser and then slipped out to the Outer with some mates. It was pouring, we stood (the old outer was no place to sit in the rain) and the only French supporter in the ground was standing just in front of us wearing a raincoat and gumboots.

He was loudly supporting the Frogs and annoying the restless locals. Some bloke near us pee'd on his raincoat and in the rain nobody thought too much of it until it filled his gumboot. The warm sensation alerted him that something was amiss, he turned around and caught the offender "red-handed" so to speak. The clincher was the offender was drunkenly trying to put it all away when Monsieur Francais punched him right in the jatz... made my day.

richardson played rl prior to his later switch to wests

Old Darlin

Juniors
valleys and wynnum were my sides in the brl days - miss seeing the likes of terry butler charging up the wing early 1980s i must say - :(

Titanic

First Grade
yeah I had a feeling he played in Townsville but I can't recall now ... too long ago

shorepatrol

Juniors
watching brothers giving it to norths back in the 60s
the late peter Gallagher r i p john gleeson noel caravaner noel Thornton
how good it was and now brothers no more how sad.:crazy:

shorepatrol

Juniors

Titanic

First Grade
Those 66-67 Grand Finals were classics and featured some fantastic players.

My neighbours on the Coast were Brothers' fiends and would drag me and anybody else they could squeeze into their station wagon boot for what was then the long haul to Brisbane. I never looked good in butchers stripes and not being a left footer I felt that I was the odd one out. When I moved to the big smoke to have a run in 1970 I saw the light ... the red & black light :)

Mr Spock!

Referee

Noel Cavanagh coached me in my junior days in Bundaberg. He is a great bloke.

Buddah

Juniors
I miss those days. I was a Diehards fan and played through my junior years for them in the 70's/80's. I think if they bought them back (along with the other clubs that merged to stay alive) there would be a huge following again in Brisbane. I'm sure that there is loads of talented players that don't get recognised anymore because of this. IMO ;-)

Buddah

Juniors
my family were big valleys fans, had something to do with the club...have to find out but i do have an old jersey with the VFC on it

Hey there PJ. Do you still have the Valleys Jersey? Would you be willing to part with it? I was and still am a Valleys fan and my original playing jersey was burnt by my ex-wife and I have been chasing a replacement now for about 10 years.

Buddah, Shop called "What's your team" at Redcliffe and Lang Park sell Valleys 'retro' jerseys (Copies of 70's-80's ones). They're pretty good.

They also do Norths, but they've never got one in 'fat bastard' size for me!!!!!

Buddah

Juniors
Buddah, Shop called "What's your team" at Redcliffe and Lang Park sell Valleys 'retro' jerseys (Copies of 70's-80's ones). They're pretty good.

They also do Norths, but they've never got one in 'fat bastard' size for me!!!!!

Thanks mate, but I've already got one from there. I was chasing the one without the QRL logo but had the large VFC on the front.

Latest posts