What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye Bears, CQ and PNG?

So having support already is a weakness? We'll grow the brand like every other sports team do, through national scale. It also highlight that the CCBears will be more accepted and appreciated on a national level due to such a historically rich brand. What you believe is a weakness is actually one of biggest strengths. Even the NRL see this as that. So again I pose the question, who are you to say otherwise?

It's proven that the CC is growing, has junior pools, has the population and infrastructure, has a great community bid built from the NRL proposal of how new teams should build their case. Has financial resources pouring out the backside. 7200 members, over 90 sponsors including rival regional networks. Every boxed is ticked and then some. Anyone dismissing this is ignorant as the same stuff will apply to all bids.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I've said it a million times but Sydney people just don't get it. A second Brisbane team (doesn't matter how you label it) will not work. Yes Brisbane is rugby league heartland, and yes a massive percentage of Brisbanians hate the Broncos - but that massive percentage (myself included) already have another team and have had that other team for a LONG time.

I'm not going to drop the Raiders and just become a Brisbane 2 fan because they live closer to me. Teams have bugger all to do with where you live nowadays anyway.

Having said this - I don't support a CC team either. My old man is a passionate Bears fan and I'd love for his sake for the Bears to be back, but the Central Coast is far, far too spread out for it to work. It's like a mini Gold Coast in terms of population type (in that the population is spread over a ridiculously large area). The Gold Coast at least has more people to draw on and even it is struggling massively.

The best thing that could happen for RL is for the Sharks to relocate to Perth and that be it in terms of expansion for a while. We all know that won't happen though.
Gee...we better tell Townsville to stop dreaming of a team, oh wait, they've had one for 16 years and have done ok. North Queensland is way more spread out than Central Coast.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I've said it a million times but Sydney people just don't get it. A second Brisbane team (doesn't matter how you label it) will not work. Yes Brisbane is rugby league heartland, and yes a massive percentage of Brisbanians hate the Broncos - but that massive percentage (myself included) already have another team and have had that other team for a LONG time.

I'm not going to drop the Raiders and just become a Brisbane 2 fan because they live closer to me. Teams have bugger all to do with where you live nowadays anyway.

What about the fact that the best rectangle ground in the country will be utilised every week for a Rugby League game instead of every second week...

I posted at the time that it is ridiculous that there was no NRL game on in Brisbane during the Easter weekend...

Also, wont all the Tigers, Dragons and Manly supporters living in Brisbane now get their chance to see their team twice a season ?

betcats

Referee
The AFL have 10 VIC teams, IMO NSW could support 11 nrl sides. The cc is certainly ripe for a team.

Edit: although i wouldnt support them.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee

Having said this - I don't support a CC team either. My old man is a passionate Bears fan and I'd love for his sake for the Bears to be back, but the Central Coast is far, far too spread out for it to work. It's like a mini Gold Coast in terms of population type (in that the population is spread over a ridiculously large area). The Gold Coast at least has more people to draw on and even it is struggling massively.

The best thing that could happen for RL is for the Sharks to relocate to Perth and that be it in terms of expansion for a while. We all know that won't happen though.

I live on the central coast, it would not take longer then 40 minutes to drive from one end to the other. The stadium being just off the f3 also helps. I know your just offering your opinion I find that statement completely ridiculous tbh.

Paullyboy

Coach
What about the fact that the best rectangle ground in the country will be utilised every week for a Rugby League game instead of every second week...

I posted at the time that it is ridiculous that there was no NRL game on in Brisbane during the Easter weekend...

Also, wont all the Tigers, Dragons and Manly supporters living in Brisbane now get their chance to see their team twice a season ?

You're making some really, really poor suggestions from a business perspective (and it's a business, don't kid yourself, without coin you won't survive).

Firstly, build it and they will come works in America. It most certainly doesn't work in Australia.

Secondly, you won't survive relying on away supporters. I don't know the exact numbers off my head, but a team in that situation would need somewhere in the vicinity of 75% home fans to get close to break even (don't forget that the break even at Lang Park as has been documented by the Reds and Roar in recent times is somewhere around 22,000 people in attendance).

A second Brisbane team will not work. I guarantee you that much.

Paullyboy

Coach
There's also the factor that needs to be considered in that Suncorp Stadium is limited in the amount of high drawing crowds it is allowed to host annually due to residential lobbying at the time of construction. It was mentioned in the paper the other day that due to the success of QLD teams this year (Roar and Reds on top of the Broncos) that this limit has been reached and it was causing some concern now that the Broncos are due to have a sell-out to farewell Lockyer and at least one home final. Add another team to the mix and you've got issues.

BunniesMan

Immortal
If you're going to criticise the CC bid because it will hurt other NSW teams...that's ridiculous. When the new tv deal comes in NSW teams will be just fine.

Paullyboy

Coach
I live on the central coast, it would not take longer then 40 minutes to drive from one end to the other. The stadium being just off the f3 also helps. I know your just offering your opinion I find that statement completely ridiculous tbh.

What's parking like? Can 20,000 people park there? (Genuine question, I've been to Gosford but not the stadium). I think you'd find the vast majority of sport attendees rely on public transport and that may be tolerable for one-offs, but how many would be back every second week?

gronkathon

First Grade
As I have said before I like the ide of more football on the Central Coast but I do not support the idea of a new team there.

We no longer live in the days where your locality determined the team you support. Thousands of Tigers, Bulldogs fans etc that live on the coast currently are not going to give in allegiance and rush to the Bears door.

Logically as well it is not a new media market to expose the game into, it does not boast the resourced base corporate possibilities of a WA or a CQ bid.

There is a massive schism in the reality of an NRL football side and the Bears as they stand. Membership numbers based on $20 a pop does not even remotely translate into that amount of STH.

BuffaloRules

Coach
You're making some really, really poor suggestions from a business perspective (and it's a business, don't kid yourself, without coin you won't survive).

A second Brisbane team will not work. I guarantee you that much.

Forgive me for having an opinion( like you) - I think some of your reasoning is poorly thought out as well..

The expansion will be decided on money, you are right about that though...

Crowds will only be a relatively minor part... If TV execs think that bringing a team in from SEQ works better then somewhere else, then this will be the main driver...

Paullyboy

Coach
Sorry, not meaning to criticise you for having an opinion, this topic is something that is crucial for rugby league and I'm pretty passionate about it. I know many on here are in the same boat, but I fear they make comments about areas they really don't understand.

My concern is exactly what you put in your last sentence. This should be a decision made for rugby league, not TV. Unfortunately our sport doesn't deal with TV issues well at all and happily roles over and takes whatever it's told to when in reality RL should be dictating the terms given the benefits RL provides.

What's parking like? Can 20,000 people park there? (Genuine question, I've been to Gosford but not the stadium). I think you'd find the vast majority of sport attendees rely on public transport and that may be tolerable for one-offs, but how many would be back every second week?

What a silly point. You realize there is BUGGER ALL parking near Suncorp and Skilled stadiums don't you?

Paullyboy

Coach
Yes, but the public transport is very, very good in these cities (comparitively). My point is that the Central Coast doesn't have these amenities to draw on but it needs them more than anyone given the vast area it covers.

Yes, but the public transport is very, very good in these cities (comparitively). My point is that the Central Coast doesn't have these amenities to draw on but it needs them more than anyone given the vast area it covers.

Public transport is very good on the Gold Coast? Since when? Their bus service is next to a joke and with Brisbane's constant rail work and ridiculous traffic congestion it isn't much better. Trust me, Ive used both networks for a long time and nothing has improved expect people's patience in waiting for consistently delayed buses, lacklusture rail upgrades or the fact it's easier to carpool. Brisbane has less the population of Sydney yet is on par with traffic congestion. You work that one out.

Brilliant train facilities though at Suncorp - the ground where a 2nd Brisbane team WILL be based.

Nothing wrong with the stadium, plenty wrong trying to get there. If you live relatively close it's all good but what people in the Ipswich, Beaudesert, Beenleigh, Toowoomba, Logan regions. There aren't enough trains as it is, there are basically no buses which go to and from these areas into Brisbane expect privately own companies. Have you driven on the Ipswich motorway before?

Brisbane city has drastically outgrown its traffic/transport system and now every year, we play the impossible catch up.

Last edited:

Paullyboy

Coach
Don't get me wrong, I hate Brisbane and Gold Coast public transport. But both stadiums have major bus and train terminals outside. I'm not familiar with Gosford having this at it's disposal.

Latest posts