What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Pedge1971

First Grade
Yes the strongest always survive... this fact has been true for billions of years.

Get strong or quit whinging about it, no club has a divine right to play in the NRL and if your club needs a helping hand to make it a level playing field then they're probably holding the game back.

I do feel for the supporters because in all honesty there's little we can do to influence the way our clubs are run and who they are run by when you really sit down and look at it. But your anger at the NRL is misguided, they shouldn't be handicapping their strongest performers just so their weaker performers can play catch up. That's just bad business.

Then why have a salary cap?

Apparently the tigers have said they aren't interested in Cronk which I find ridiculous, it appears he will be retiring now

Interesting to see where the Foran signing leaves the current 6/7/9 at the dogs. Mybe is the only one under contract and for big coin. You would think if the Tigers/Knights went hard for josh Reynolds they'd probably get him

If they're struggling for cap space however, Mbye could still end up at the Tigers with the Dogs paying a chunk of his salary which would be a nice turn around for a change.

Munted

Bench
So if it is true that the Dogs almost had Foran, Tedesco and Woods all signed then the salary cap is surely dead.
That, or loyalty.
Which I kind of think is dead anyway but if they did also get Teddy I'm sure it would have been a fire sale at Belmore.
Reynolds, licha, hopppa, throw an injury plagued Morris twin in and kasiano and you'd got the three in.

macavity

Referee
So if it is true that the Dogs almost had Foran, Tedesco and Woods all signed then the salary cap is surely dead.

Have been saying for a few years this is where we were headed and everyone had a go at me for it.

Yet here we are - the four "biggest names" on the market end up at the strongest clubs even though the lower clubs could offer them far more cap dollars.

Of course the fans of the big clubs see no problem. It's only a rort if you aren't in on it.

Tiger5150

Bench
That's exactly the sole reason of a salary cap. You'd nearly prefer they just get rid of it completely cause so we can see how it really is..

Its not actually. The salary cap was NOT brought it to produce parity. That is what the draft was for. The salary cap was brought in to stop clubs sending themselves broke. At the time it was Canberra. Therefore TPA's dont impact, if a club only spends their salary cap on players salaries, they theoretically cant go broke and TPAs have no effect on this.

The salary cap was never brought it to produce parity but in the absence of a draft, its a nice side effect.

macavity

Referee
Its not actually. The salary cap was NOT brought it to produce parity. That is what the draft was for. The salary cap was brought in to stop clubs sending themselves broke. At the time it was Canberra. Therefore TPA's dont impact, if a club only spends their salary cap on players salaries, they theoretically cant go broke and TPAs have no effect on this.

The salary cap was never brought it to produce parity but in the absence of a draft, its a nice side effect.

Sure, so my club looking down the barrel of at least 3 and possibly indefinite spoons... how long until we go broke from lack of support? Or are we supposed to just keep spending less on players as income contracts and adjust to getting flogged by more and more?

Without parity of spend some clubs don't have hope - and without hope we don't have anything.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Problem is there are 400 first grade players who can easily take collective action vs probably 100 million financial services workers. The NRL can regulate it if they pay through the nose in the CBA, but I don't see that happening.

Bur what would they take collective action on? The regulation changes don"t restrict their earning capacity nor do they force them to go to a club against their will. The regulation merely restricts clubs and companies ability to rort the cap process.

Pedge1971

First Grade
That, or loyalty.
Which I kind of think is dead anyway but if they did also get Teddy I'm sure it would have been a fire sale at Belmore.
Reynolds, licha, hopppa, throw an injury plagued Morris twin in and kasiano and you'd got the three in.

There are only 2 players on that list anyone would go for and no one would have been prepared to pay them what they earn at the Dogs.

The have not clubs should collude and refuse to take the Dogs/Roosters chaff unless they are contributing the significan proportion of their cap monies.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
There are only 2 players on that list anyone would go for and no one would have been prepared to pay them what they earn at the Dogs.

The have not clubs should collude and refuse to take the Dogs/Roosters chaff unless they are contributing the significan proportion of their cap monies.

The Roosters have Aiden Guerra, SKD, Ferguson, Topou, Michael Gordon all off contract. It is possible none will be retained. If Gordon stays, it won't be for much, Topou might be retained but not if the money is stupid. Kane Evans as I mentioned has already signed by the Eels for more than $400K a season, which is more than the Roosters are paying him. Dale Copley has already left, he was on $400K for next year and I understand the Gold Coast are paying most of that.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Jim Doyle shoots down the done deal with the Bulldogs, addresses SJ rumours and a whole bunch of other interesting topics that's worth a look. Warrior focused of course, but gives a really interesting insight you don't often get from club CEO's on a couple of things happening behind closed doors.

A few bullet points...

1) Close to a deal with SJ

2) Foran has not signed yet but returning to Sydney is obviously a strong possibility

3) The NRL has given clubs a definite salary cap number to work off even if it's not the final one.

4) Takes some shots at the media which is always nice to see

Radical Rat

Juniors
Like he would risk damaging his close relationship with Tedesco. Dickhead losers like you won't be convinced regardless because you lack the sufficient intelligence to sort out the truth from fiction.

No f*ckwit. The whole point was that I have no idea what happened behind the scenes and neither do you. So stop telling other people to "get their facts right" like you were there.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Jim Doyle shoots down the done deal with the Bulldogs, addresses SJ rumours and a whole bunch of other interesting topics that's worth a look. Warrior focused of course, but gives a really interesting insight you don't often get from club CEO's on a couple of things happening behind closed doors.

A few bullet points...

1) Close to a deal with SJ

2) Foran has not signed yet but returning to Sydney is obviously a strong possibility

3) The NRL has given clubs a definite salary cap number to work off even if it's not the final one.

4) Takes some shots at the media which is always nice to see

But but but......is he saying Phil Rothfield writes articles without confirming the facts?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Lol pretty much. Doyle is a pretty candid guy when dealing with the media. Dogs will still be heavy favourites to get Foran but I'm very confident that he hasn't actually signed yet.

I love how he basically says that journalists don't call him because if they did call him they wouldn't have a story to run - or at least the good journalists call him.

Life's Good

Coach
This looks like the tip of the iceberg in terms of rumors and signings. If the Roosters & Dogs have landed these players then let the clearance sale commence. f**k me some plodders are going to be able to cash in as a result.

Edwahu

Bench

Why do the NRL say it was to produce a close competition then?

Latest posts