What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Pedge1971

First Grade
Don't quote me but I read somewhere recently he was contracted until end of 2018. Assuming that contract isn't worth much, Bulldogs really have no reason to even consider letting him go. If they see him as cover for Foran / Reynolds next year, it's great cheap cover to have.

If they let someone go it will surely be Mbye to free up space, and since Frawley looks a better prospect anyway on a fraction of the pay.

Shame though, because Frawley would at least be a start. We only have to look at how quickly Taylor, Elgey, Cleary, Martin etc became successful parts of the spine at their clubs to know that this a strategy worth consideration.

My view is that you can carry one rookie / average half, but not two. Sharks won the premiership with Townsend. Broncos won a comp with Lockyer and Shane Perry. I'd be more than comfortable with a Lamb, Frawley, Cogger or even Townsend type as a permanent fixture with upside, as long as they were partnered with a much better quality half. Right now what we have, and what we look like having next year, is a 6 AND 7 that would both rate in the bottom 5% of NRL playmakers. You just can't win games like that. We have to somehow do whatever it takes to upgrade at least one of these positions.

I am not a fan of Mbye, but he is still an upgrade on Hodko. There would at least be something to work with, and in theory the Dogs might have to pay some of his contract to ship him off to us. Don't get me wrong though, this wouldn't make me happy. I wanted way above Mbye level, but now I realise I was living in fantasy land.

Word is.Cowboys want Mbye. We won't get him either......

Still Nutty

Juniors
Why not? Because Knights won't sign anyone and the whole club is dead?

Mataulino and Bolton are offcontract. Dogs need to shed $2.5mill off their cap. We are as good a chance as anyone at getting Graham.

While I know it's not a deal until it's in ink, I've flagged since 3rd April in this thread that there was very clear mail that Mantulino is going to Tigers based on his relationship with Cleary and this seems to have all but been done now (particularly with Woods going)...and the other issue also mentioned earlier is the Knights reluctance to really even consider him until the medical reports are available - so I expect he just isn't going to be on the market for us.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Looks like the salary cap will be 9.14 million next season. Funny that greenberg has increased it from the 8.5mil he wanted just after the dogs have signed foran and woods.

Yeah a bit of a conspiracy theory, so what.

GetUpstandup2k

Juniors
Having a look at the off contract list there's a few players I would like us to pick up that would be realtively cheap to sign. While we struggle to sign marquees these guys could help our squad. Not saying we should get all of these guys but I think we shoudl have a closer look at them

Joe Ofahengaue - Young with potential and stuck behind a stcked Broncos pack
John Asiata - Has been very underrated for a long time at the Cowboys and would thrive with a larger role
Ryan Hoffman - Still has a fair bit left imo and would be a great veteran and leader for the team
Johnny Tuivasa Sheck - Struggled with injuries but has alot of talent, low risk and big reward
Nelson Asofa Solomona - Probably the most expensive and hardest to get but has huge potential
Sitaleki Akauola - Runs very hard and would add some much needed aggression
Fa'amanu Brown - Been a big fan for a while. Stuck behind Maloney and Townsend
Shaun Nona - Reminds me of Cody Walker, been a star in the QLD Cup for a long time but never has a chance
Kevin Naiqama - Have always been a fan and could add much needed depth to our outside backs
Peni Terepo - Always thought he was underrated. A solid forward who would help our forward pack
Kato Ottio - Been a gun in Canberra's reserves for a while but hasn't got an oppurtuinity
Adam Elliott - Has a bit of potential and could be squeezed out at the dogs
Albert Vete - Good young forward with potential to get better
Matt Ballin - If Kostjasyn has to retire hw could be a decent mentor to Levi if he has anything left to give
Jordan Drew - Seen him play a bit for junior rep teams and Newtown, hasn't been given an oppurtunity

What I'd also like to add to the list is Sandor Earl whose four year NRL ban due to the asada peptide supplement saga ends in August, been following his return documentary on his Facebook page and he's been training the house down during his ongoing exile, I know people are going to say that he was average during his career but in my eyes he was a good player on his day, I think Earl would be a solid pickup playing at Centre or maybe Second Row/Lock due to the muscle he has sustained over the years during his suspension in his Gyms in Thailand and Melbourne.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
This probably won't be a popular post and I've got no idea if he's off contract or not but what about Clint Gutherson? Can play at fullback, outside backs and can fill in at 5/8 and has looked like a more than capable first grader over the last couple of seasons. Given the Eels have signed Mitchell Moses it doesn't look like Gutherson will get a halves gig next year and French seems to be the first choice fullback and they've got some handy centres and wingers there too. Dunno maybe he could be an option for us? Not going to solve all our problems but could be a good utility pick up. Thoughts?

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I'd take gutherson for sure. Can fill anywhere in the back line at a pinch. Not sure where his best position is. Could do a lot worse

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think our best chance of anyone decent will be from England. It would probably be a lot easier getting a Brit to move to Newwy than a Sydneysider....

Given the new stratospheric salary cap, im sure we could outbid any English team and in sure there would be a few in the SL wanting to test themselves in the NRL.

The Knights have a good history of keeping negotiations secret until the formal announcement, so we wont know if Brown is cooking something like this up until after someone signs. But given his time there and given we arent likely to get anyone substantial from another team here, i really think England is where the focus should be...

Edit: If his knee is still up to it, id have Brown throw the checkbook at Jonny Lomax.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
I think our best chance of anyone decent will be from England. It would probably be a lot easier getting a Brit to move to Newwy than a Sydneysider....

Given the new stratospheric salary cap, im sure we could outbid any English team and in sure there would be a few in the SL wanting to test themselves in the NRL.

The Knights have a good history of keeping nogotiations secret until the formal announcement, so we wont know if Brown is cooking something like this up until after someone signs. But given his time there and given we arent likely to get anyone substantial from antoher team here, i really think England is where the focus should be...

The one we really could have used (George Williams) just re-signed for 4 years with Wigan.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
With the super rugby being a shambles is there anyone there worth looking at? We have more money than any super rugby franchise can offer.

Bartwah

Juniors
That Angus Crichton bloke that's playing for the bunnies use to be an Australian schoolboy Rugby Union player. He's playing some great footy! Union players are all that might be left to sign lol

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That Angus Crichton bloke that's playing for the bunnies use to be an Australian schoolboy Rugby Union player. He's playing some great footy! Union players are all that might be left to sign lol

Im pretty sure our shitty team could still beat the Wallabies

I wouldnt mind taking a punt on a Union player, but again id be more interested looking overseas...