What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who coaches the Titans in 2018

Who coaches the Titans in 2018

• Kevin Walters

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Garth Brennan

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Craig Fitzgibbon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ben & Shane Walker

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Jason Taylor

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other not listed.

Votes: 13 22.8%

• Total voters

Incorrect

Coach
Damn...

Its a fair request. Uprooting and moving across the country without even knowing who your boss will be would be tough.

But i dont see the ARLC rushing the process just to snag a coach.

Looks like Titans will be getting a Rookie coach this time....

All Maguire probably wants to hear from the Titans is -

"We have no intention of employing Shane Richardson in any capacity at any time in the next 20-25 years"

and he'll sign on the dotted line!

Saxon

Bench
Youre right about the poor ol' Knights, but at least we have some decent rivalries from our success in the old days (Manly, Eels, etc. There arent many, and people are starting to forget about them, but they are something the marketting guys can work with and something for the hard-core fans to get excited about)
Good luck to you. After the disaster that was the Bennett and Tinkler show, I think you've got plenty to be excited about next year.

BennyV

Referee
Demetriou or Madge would be good options. Madge, because he's the most likely human in Australia that would make Hayne get his shit together. Demetriou, because he's going to be a brilliant f**king coach and whichever club debuts him in the NRL will be cheering that they got a bargain coach for a couple of years before his price sky-rockets a la Paul Green.

Seriously spewing the Dragons have extended that sorry excuse for a coach (with the looks, IQ and coaching ability if a miscoloured cue ball) while JD remains without a head coaching gig. Assistant to Green in his premiership year, won 2 QLD Cup GFs, 1 NSW Cup GF, 2 interstate championships with 2 different teams and most importantly, a years worth of learning what not to do under aforementioned cue ball. Deserves a gig somewhere.

Pedge1971

First Grade
You think?
I reckon that would be a fair description of Newcastle, but most of the sympathy for the Titans went out the window when Hayne turned up and started making a dick of himself.
Newcastle are like the poor crippled kid who tries his guts out but just isn't any good; Gold Coast are more like Owen Cragie - not the best running round, but has plenty of talent. Unfortunately, like Owen, they would rather eat than train and after a while people just get pissed off with the wasted potential.

Everything is a cycle my friend. Newcastles days as the poor crippled kid are over. Someone elses turn. And when we get into big games we generally overachieve so your pity means zip. 10th next year parlayed into a decade of success.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Kevin Walters was offered the gig and he has said no. What's happened this week with Neil Henry getting the run around with the Titans would put off any coach working with them. They apparently were going to offer Henry nothing after sacking him, but now are offering $100 000. Neil Henry is now taking it to the courts after he wants to be paid out his remaining $400 000 on his deal.

The situation with Henry and Des Hasler has led coaches Craig Bellamy and Trent Robinson calling for coaches to start their own union.

The problem with Kevvie is he would have to coach every week without Cam and Coops telling him how...

no name

Coach
I'd almost cop Kevvy coaching the team I follow to not have to listen to his commentary.
Almost, but I'm sure Fox will find someone even worse to replace him.
Which reminds me surely Corey Parker could be given a full time gig anywhere but on telly.

davi

Juniors
Titans are meeting with Garth Brennan today. Interestingly Brennan also has a good working relationship with Ash Taylor and has guaranteed the club he will stay if he gets the job. Michael Maguire is still considered the favorite though, but due to his demands I wouldn't be surprised if that changes. Titans would prefer a proven commodity which goes against Brennan and Jason Demetriou.

Laurie Daley has ruled himself out, whether he was told by the Titans he hadn't been shortlisted is not clear though.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/10/16...ch-garth-brennan-meets-with-gold-coast-titans

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach
Laurie Daley has ruled himself out, whether he was told by the Titans he hadn't been shortlisted is not clear though.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/10/16...ch-garth-brennan-meets-with-gold-coast-titans

A couple of things went against Daley... firstly he used this photo on the front page of his CV;

220px-Laurie_Daley_%2810_August_2008%29.jpg

and when the interview panel asked him what he considered the game's main emerging trends to be and what he planned to do to emulate the assembly and on field execution of other successful teams, he could only manage this response;

5de1051311b2c172cb99bf5aefb3b972

davi

Juniors
Courier Mail has reported Garth Brennan will be announced as new coach of the Titans on Thursday.

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
Martin Lang suggests caution with how to handle Jarryd Hayne. I really don't think Hayne has much of a leg to stand on. If he does not like Garth Brennan you can always point him to where the door is. Hayne might not like the idea of reinforcing his rep of being a coach killer or a prima donna if he falls out with Brennan. Not many clubs will be willing to sign you if you can't get along with the coach.

Lang also suggests Titans should consider a swap with Penrith for Matty Moylan. Considering Hayne is not a true five eight, and because of his form last year I really doubt Penrith would even consider it.

The only thing is while Brennan will likely get a three year contract. It wouldn't be in his benefit throwing a year away even if he only has to put up with Hayne for a year. Hayne is playing for Fiji in the world cup, I'm not sure it should be the place for him to be though. He should be working in the gym trying to get back where he wants to be. But atleast its better for him to be doing that then him spending his offseason sitting on the coach.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ne...g/news-story/2f7c39dfaa912413138117e818ba0493

davi

Juniors
Have any info about him?

Gold Coast Titans poised to appoint Garth Brennan as new coach

A LITTLE-known coach from western Sydney is poised has pushed aside several prominent candidates and will be named coach of the Gold Coast Titans.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Penrith’s Intrust Super Premiership-winning coach Garth Brennan is expected to be officially unveiled as Titans coach on Thursday.

It is understood Brennan has beaten Brisbane assistant coach Jason Demetriou and former South Sydney premiership-winning coach Michael Maguire to claim Gold Coast’s top job.

Demetriou is believed to have run a close second although Titans officials are still working the phones to protect themselves from any late dramas.

The Gold Coast’s decision to appoint a rookie coach has thrust youth over experience yet again in rugby league.

Brennan has won three lower-grade titles over the past five years.

He guided Penrith to the NSW Intrust Super Premiership this season and then an interstate challenge triumph against the PNG Hunters.

Brennan won the under 20s title in 2013 and the NSW Cup premiership in 2014.

The frugal NRL, who own cash-strapped Gold Coast, are aware Brennan would cost significantly less than Maguire.

Brennan flew to the Gold Coast for a further interview last Friday.

He knows his first major task will be trying to re-sign gun halfback Ash Taylor, who is being pursued by Brisbane.

The Titans have made Taylor a healthy offer.

Panthers group CEO Brian Fletcher backed Brennan.

“He is a great coach. He has had great success with us in the under 20s and reserve grade side,” Fletcher said.

“Above all, he is a good person. He brings the right culture to his players. That is just as important as being a good coach.

“We would love to see him get a first grade job. It’s what you aspire to do and we’re not there to hold him back.”

Just last month, Brennan said he was ready to step-up into the NRL.

“I’m ready. I’ve done my time. My CV and record shows I’m ready for the NRL,” he said.

“I’ve had success wherever I’ve coached. There’s one last thing I want to do and that’s coach at the highest level.”

Queensland coach Kevin Walters and former NSW coach Laurie Daley withdrew from the race.

Maguire is currently oversees and preferred not to comment.

He previously claimed though he would be reluctant to join Gold Coast until the club’s new owners were finalised.

One source close to the Titans coaching situation said: “I’d opt for Maguire. The club needs a strong leader, a winner. ‘Madge’ is also big on sports science. It seems though they will choose an inexperienced coach.”

The NRL hopes to have an agreement in place for the sale of Gold Coast by October 31. Strangely, that means the new owners won’t have a say on who will be coach.

It seems there is little interest in the Bears’ flagging bid and Norths will remain languishing in the NSW State Cup.

Asked about the coaching situation, Titans CEO Graham Annesley said: “I don’t think we’re too far away. It’s not there yet and we’re still in negotiations.

“However it’s my expectation that we hope to have news in the next few days.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...h/news-story/35c2752dd27917f151f385361a060863

Have any info about him?

Davi's given you a good article about Brennan. Phil Gould has big wraps on Brennan due to the work he has done in the lower grades at Penrith. He's been saying for well over 12 months that Brennan was ready to be a first grade coach.