What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Western Force- Pirates?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Paul Cully in the herald rightly pointed out yesterday that the whole structure of his competition doesn't feed into the international season at all, and given its starting from scratch will cost a fortune and have very little revenue from either fans or broadcasters.

I honestly can't see how this will do anything but further hurt super rugby and the spot in general

I completely agree. I feel the competition working group (twiggys people and Aru) will butt heads again, once twiggy realizes it will be all his money and nothing from the Aru apart from the fact they are letting him potentially use Aus players. The Aru seem to be dictating a lot to twiggy even though they got rid of his team. He'll blow up and then that will be the time he might reach out to the Nrl to save face. Let's hope anyway.

KokoRugbyLeague

Juniors
A west coast nrl conference is something if switching those union clubs into league clubs can eventuate. A nrl superbowl gf should be something to consider. The thing is to convince east coasters who are angry at the way nrl does things to migrate west. Including pacific islanders, poms and kiwis. Also the saffa population to monopolise on. Jobs and affordability is the crucial part but.

Last edited:

DlEHARD

Juniors
Ha Ha. Now how can we make the most of this?

I wish we were in a position to offer WA an NRL franchise...

Perth Red

Post Whore
TB that isn't what we need right now. What we need is a plan!
When the SL war blew up and Reds get cut the game quickly fell over here, disgruntled clubs closed down and people walked away after feeling totally let down and disenfranchised. I can imagine RU clubs are feeling the same way right about now. Last year Kwinana Wolves became the first dual code RU/RL club in WA.

Without looking like we are picking over the dead carcass of Union the very best thing that could happen for RL in WA right now would be some serious conversations with both State Govt about getting behind League more and conversations with the 23 Union clubs in Perth to see if any of them are interested ins witching camps. They could offer incentives and support to do so. They might get no joy but if only 5 or 6 of them were pssed off enough to do so then it would overnight make the NRLWA much much bigger and stronger.

I cant see the RUWA being able to keep up payments for the $150k a year centre of excellence and offices they have so that would be my first target with State Govt if I was NRL!

A 5 year plan of grass roots development, community and fan engagement, corporate wooing and finally an NRL team launch is a plan we need now, otherwise we'll still be saying not to rush expansion in another 5 years time!

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Wow! Rugby WA goes into administration! If only we had a proactive nrl we could be taking over rhe impressive WA rugby CoE and putting out feelers to all the union clubs in the state to see if they would like to switch to league clubs!

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/r...ration-after-western-force-axed-ng-b88663033z

Interesting times. Surely you don’t think it is that easy. I agree that there is an opportunity for the Nrl to capitalize but just walking in a getting the CoE and changing rugby clubs to league is a lot easier said than done. Clearly the Rugby WA is disgruntled but for them to change codes is a dream. Going into administration allows them to clear there debts but then In turn causes the creditors to be upset. The creditors are the RA and the WA gov which the Nrl has been buttering up.

The Nrl needs to headhunt the right people in RWA (development managers etc), have Andrew Forrest involved and the WA governement. The Nrl shouldn’t be relying on the demise of WArugby to expand but should take advantage of it.

Diesel

Referee
This is a perfect time for the NRL to attack RU and embrace WA.

Problem is the suits are more interested in keeping Sydney teams happy than actually taking advantage of this perfect storm for RL

latingringo101

Juniors
I know it costs 20 or so million $$$ for a Perth NRL team but seriously after this news what does the NRL have to lose if an NRL team was fast tracked for 2019/20?

Yes they have the Pirates NSW cup junior teams and pro games year in year out, but an NRL TEAM now would be perfect!

siv

First Grade
I know it costs 20 or so million $$$ for a Perth NRL team but seriously after this news what does the NRL have to lose if an NRL team was fast tracked for 2019/20?

Yes they have the Pirates NSW cup junior teams and pro games year in year out, but an NRL TEAM now would be perfect!

Maybe the current TV includes a 9th game option for no extra cost

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting times. Surely you don’t think it is that easy. I agree that there is an opportunity for the Nrl to capitalize but just walking in a getting the CoE and changing rugby clubs to league is a lot easier said than done. Clearly the Rugby WA is disgruntled but for them to change codes is a dream. Going into administration allows them to clear there debts but then In turn causes the creditors to be upset. The creditors are the RA and the WA gov which the Nrl has been buttering up.

The Nrl needs to headhunt the right people in RWA (development managers etc), have Andrew Forrest involved and the WA governement. The Nrl shouldn’t be relying on the demise of WArugby to expand but should take advantage of it.

No I don’t think it will be easy but with only 8snr clubs in the Perth comp it would def be worth trying to convert a few union clubs if they are disgruntled.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
No I don’t think it will be easy but with only 8snr clubs in the Perth comp it would def be worth trying to convert a few union clubs if they are disgruntled.

Maybe there could take some tips from superleague. Just throw money at them.

In all seriousness, the WARL should be strategically selecting the best union clubs and create a ideal league comp that lets each club receive funding for facilities (maybe wa gov might fund dual code teams) etc. WARL have a chance to perfectly structure there rl future. I still think taking over the club will cause problems. It would be better if we let the club play both codes. Then overtime they will see the light.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Wow! Rugby WA goes into administration! If only we had a proactive nrl we could be taking over rhe impressive WA rugby CoE and putting out feelers to all the union clubs in the state to see if they would like to switch to league clubs!

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/r...ration-after-western-force-axed-ng-b88663033z

Funniest thing is that this is all (probably) just to avoid paying costs to ARU for the court challenge.

ARU is gonna be left with a big f*ckin bill. Good thing they have their war chest...

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Funniest thing is that this is all (probably) just to avoid paying costs to ARU for the court challenge.

ARU is gonna be left with a big f*ckin bill. Good thing they have their war chest...

I hope the ARU go hard at WARU and forrest for the money. Still seems plenty of bad blood there. That could be enough to tip them over the edge. Does anyone know a code willing to accept them?

And I had just read that more Force players have moved on. There won’t be anyone left for twiggy.

ground zero

Juniors
nrl should tell western australia goverment to build a 40,000 seat rectangelar stadium then there the1st team in the next expansion tv deal. easy build it an nrl will come

Perth Red

Post Whore
nrl should tell western australia goverment to build a 40,000 seat rectangelar stadium then there the1st team in the next expansion tv deal. easy build it an nrl will come

Why? We don’t need a 40k rectangular stadium, nor are Ever likely to