What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'14 // Origin II // Wed 18 // NSW 6-4 QLD // ANZ

Origin II: Blues or Maroons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wibble

Bench
You can add my name to that list. He was ubiquitous, but not great.

Why, because Gould (who is clearly a great league man and great for the Panthers) or BM said so?

That set he took two big hit ups, then Bird took one, and Farah and Bird interchanged passes, got NSW the territory they kept for most of the last 20 minutes, and won off.

His hit ups right before the try dragged QLD defenders, and the only way NSW made any attacking head way was when Bird, Gallen or Farah (or Hoffman, Lewis, Woods once or twice, but the story is strong running forwards) took it to the QLDers.

He made a bazillion metres and tackles (no misses, some crucial), and yes, once or twice he was passed the ball late in the set (shame on him, providing an option for the halves, who can of course hit anyone), and could not pull out a mirale off load. Most sets in most games, forwards get the ball even late, only after they dent the line can backs do anything. But he always dragged in defenders. And many times he got the ball late and passed it on the fringe just before the tackle or when not tackled effectively, and created a half opportunity.

NSW forwards, particularly Bird, Gallen and Farah (who completely outplayed Smith) were the difference (and Hayne's try saving tackles). Only Thaiday matched it with those guys (and Hoffman- so 4 great NSW forwards to 1 QLD forward was the difference).

All the backs from both sides were competent (Hayne brilliant in defence), not a game for backs, the halves tried but didn't have much to work with with slow play the balls, Hodkinson obviously the best half with his great try, but that was set up by the forwards work (still was a great play though).

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
Before Gus mentioned it,I was getting frustrated with both Gal & Bird in getting too involved in the backline movements.

There was no variety in the N.S.W. attack which I guess is due to lack of composure with all the niggle going on.

MrAnonymous

Bench
Before Gus mentioned it,I was getting frustrated with both Gal & Bird in getting too involved in the backline movements.

There was no variety in the N.S.W. attack which I guess is due to lack of composure with all the niggle going on.
Lack of quality halves might of been the problem as well

wibble

Bench
Aside from the fact that a ball brushed him when he didn't play at it, Woods was top quality for the minutes he was out there. Dominant in defense. Was the only NSW forward who seemed to dominate his hit ups. When he came back on the field for his second spell that was literally the moment the momentum shifted. He made one carry that took a few defenders to pull him down, got a quick play the ball and NSW rose.

Actually, I agree with this, Woods also had great runs, not as much game time obviously, but also outplayed all the QLD forwards except maybe Thaiday.

Not sure why you think Gallen's runs weren't quality, he made more of them, more metres, planty of metres per run, and passed the ball a lot (despite people thinking he was a ball hog).

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Anyone who thinks Gallen and Bird weren't getting in the way in the 20m zone are kidding themselves, Farah's long kicking game was great and so was his defence but he also hogged it deluxe. Neither half took control and our attack was putrid.

Chook Norris

First Grade

Was thinking all that too. The amount of wasted tackles was incredibly frustrating

TimmyB

Juniors
I said to my mate at the start of the game Hoffman has played a lot of games for NSW for a bloke who hasn't ever played that well. Then he was brilliant. We both agreed he should have been man of the match. Can't believe Gallen got it. It's like someone just looked at the stats and then awarded it to him. Crazy.

Woods should have got more minutes. Carved out huge metres each hit up, quick play the balls, and really dominates in defence Will play origin for 10 years.

Nerd

Bench
Now that the series is gone I hope QLD with one eye to the future blood Hunt at halfback.

MacDougall

First Grade
Anyone who thinks Gallen and Bird weren't getting in the way in the 20m zone are kidding themselves, Farah's long kicking game was great and so was his defence but he also hogged it deluxe. Neither half took control and our attack was putrid.

If I can find a fault in Farah it's that he went to Reynolds too often and not Hodkinson but that's probably because his natural pass is left to right and Reynolds yells louder than Trent. Reynolds had heaps of ball but was useless with it and Hodkinson was starved of ball and the few times he did get it he looked dangerous with a good grubber and a try.

MacDougall

First Grade
Now that the series is gone I hope QLD with one eye to the future blood Hunt at halfback.

They've hung their hat on DCE and rightly so. The kid played one of the dirtiest forward battle Origin matches tonight with an injury cloud and HUGE pressure and didn't really suck that badly in his first match starting with the 7 jersey. He'll improve. He's in rare company such is his talent.

Blues Riff

Bench
lmao yeah, it doesn't matter that instead of talking about a great contest won fairly by NSW tomorrow, the press will be showing a montage of 3 different moments QLD were screwed by the Hayne in white.

As for the Hayne in blue, I love how emotional he was considering he did sweet f**k all in this game except run backwards 40 metres in the dying seconds.
....And prevented what would have been Qld's only try.

wibble

Bench

Farah is the hooker. He should touch it more than anyone else.

I still don't get how forwards "get in the way" or "are in the backline" movements.

Forwards choose a line, and run hard, and hope that if they get the ball they break the line, offload, or drag in defenders and play it quickly (in that order). They hope that if they don't get the ball, they have sucked in some defenders without illegally taking out a defender (never used to have to worry about that last part).

The more they do it, and the more of them that do it at once, the more options a team has.

If a half sees that a forward has done the hard work first, and now there is space, or if they feel that the last play should be for them to kick it, or spread it to a back, it is their choice, and they play it accordingly. They "own" the result, as some coaches put it.

Basic league. And no team in either game has found "easy" back line movements and has been able to play free flowing football, as you would expect with two good defensive teams (much like in finals), and in those situations, forward should be doing the vast majority of the work, and halves should be very select in their plays, but take the opportunities as they are created by forwards (as Hodkinson did).

Most the "killed" 4th tackle plays from Bird or Gallen they were in the middle of the field running hard (with a forward or two around them doing the same, usually the other one of those two), so if they got the ball, their job there is to run it and hope for a break or offload.

If they got it wide they passed it as often as ran it, and were two of the most creative out there. NSW only made the game winning territory at the end off Bird, Gallen and Farah's creative play.

And rightly, the MotM award went to one of the best, in Gallen, though Hoffman, Hayne, Bird, or Farah could easily have gotten it (or Hodkinson for the winning try, as it was the best play, when it mattered the most).

no name

Coach
Dave Taylor's pass turned the game.
As a Titans and Nsw fan, that was my favourite moment of his this season!

wibble

Bench
If I can find a fault in Farah it's that he went to Reynolds too often and not Hodkinson but that's probably because his natural pass is left to right and Reynolds yells louder than Trent. Reynolds had heaps of ball but was useless with it and Hodkinson was starved of ball and the few times he did get it he looked dangerous with a good grubber and a try.

I guess, but some of that is just the way play unfolds. Hodkinson did what was needed, when it was needed. Reynolds was OK, it was a tough game to make breaks. DCE and Thurston struggled too to set up breaks, but looked OK.

GongPanther

Referee
Was thinking all that too. The amount of wasted tackles was incredibly frustrating

And theres this other point that forever haunts me.

It's about how quickly Qld move up in defense.And I saw a huge difference between them & N.S.W.

Not only tonight's game,but all games in all the years.

I just wish channel nine would give us a wider view of both sets of rucks in the play the ball so we can really see whats going on.

Hate it when the camera closes in on the play straight after the play the ball.

I'm getting too pussed now so fook the lot of youse....AND UP THE BLOOOOOS!!!!:alcho::alcho::alcho:

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Why, because Gould (who is clearly a great league man and great for the Panthers) or BM said so?

No, not because Gould said so, although I did indicate I agreed with him if you want to go through the 100 or so pages of this thread.

Giving the ball to big slow forwards to try to crash over inside the opposition 20 is not the way the game of Rugby League is normally played, unless your advantage in this area is so immense you can just crash over repeatedly. That wasn't the case tonight. What normally happens is that the halves dictate the play, and in situations close to the opposition line, attempt to get the ball to their outside backs or at least get a kick on the last.

You had at least two matchwinners in the NSW outside backs (assuming Hayne would be lurking there somewhere when hot on attack). But they never saw the ball all night. The forwards kept hitting it up even right on the line. The try came from an appalling Qld defensive error.

It is my view that this was the game plan devised by the coach, who isn't a coach at all. Clearly having selected the Bulldog halves he had absolutely no faith in their ability to run the attack, and so it was down to the forwards to behave like halves. Farah has abilities in this area, but Gallen doesn't.

So if following the coach's instructions and getting the win is the criteria, well Gallen deserves his MoM. But why do you have halves at all if this is how you are going to play? Why not two more forwards. A Bryce Cartwright type who can throw a ball, and another demon tackler.

The worst thing about all this is that Laurie Daley will be coach again next year. He clearly knows little about the game of Rugby League apart from the importance of big tough forwards. Funny, when you think of the kind of player he was.

Last edited:

wibble

Bench
And didn't make one defensive error. And took heaps of dangerous high balls. And took a heap of dirty carries.

And still looked dangerous with limited opportunities.

And made more ground than any other player.

And showed and played with great passion, which is something we are told only QLDers do.

And saved a try. I know its been said, but that is a big AND. It was a great and crucial play.

He has been immaculate all series, and it is impossible to know, but we could put in a good argument that we would have won last year with Hayne playing.

Not sure how anyone could possibly doubt his contributions. He has shown he is in the absolute top drawer of players. Possibly the best in the world at the moment, on current form.

GongPanther

Referee
So if following the coach's instructions and getting the win is the criteria, well Gallen deserves his MoM. But why do you have halves at all if this is how you are going to play? Why not two more forwards. A Bryce Cartwright type who can throw a ball, and another demon tackler.

I'm being bias but I don't think I'm too far off the mark when I say that Cartwright should not be thrown in the deep end of SOO.

He is far too much of a talent to have his confidence destroyed by some meaningless game by some thug in potentially buggering him up forever.

For me,I'll have another look and watch the game again to refresh my memories to call the MoM.

Latest posts