What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Colk

First Grade
That was PNG's preference but IF them linking with the Bears gets them in they'd be stupid not to do it

As you know I am not a huge fan of the PNG idea but I think if the Bears wanted to link with them and PNG had to come in, it might work better than with Perth.

They could base themselves in Sydney which would attract more players than in Cairns. You could also play four games at NSO (can’t believe I’m saying that) and you wouldn’t get as much resistance from PNG supporters (considering they were going to play games at Cairns anyway)

Iamback

Coach
As you know I am not a huge fan of the PNG idea but I think if the Bears wanted to link with them and PNG had to come in, it might work better than with Perth.

They could base themselves in Sydney which would attract more players than in Cairns. You could also play four games at NSO (can’t believe I’m saying that) and you wouldn’t get as much resistance from PNG supporters (considering they were going to play games at Cairns anyway)

I am all for PNG but the reality is can PNG sustain a team? That is the question

You bring in the Bears and their few million $ they have. That also has to flow on to making a decent crowd puller in Sydney to have a big event game.

Which further helps the corporates. Partnering PNG or NZ 2 with an established brand is my preference. We need to expand the reach and limit the short term risk

Ah but you think your words will have an impact on Perth? The thousands of posts dribbling the same crap seems to be a waste of time and energy.
The truths I state about Perth counter the lies propagated by PR, TGD, Butthurtski, mongoose and the Perth residents. The shit that lot come out with is borderline insane. At one stage mongoose said a Perth-based team will be watched by 111k people in Brisbane and 30k people in Perth. There are matches involving no Queensland teams that draw less than 111k viewers in Brisbane. It's insane to suggest a Perth vs Knights game will be watched by more people in Brisbane than one between Tigers and Roosters. There's plenty of New South Welshmen in SEQ. Not too many Western Australians live here.

BTW, have you found a post of me allegedly saying that a team needs to be based in Rochedale South?

You must be quite stupid if you think Cowboys are based in Rochedale South and Storm are based in Perth.

Last edited:
I am all for PNG but the reality is can PNG sustain a team? That is the question

You bring in the Bears and their few million $ they have. That also has to flow on to making a decent crowd puller in Sydney to have a big event game.

Which further helps the corporates. Partnering PNG or NZ 2 with an established brand is my preference. We need to expand the reach and limit the short term risk

Christchurch would be great for the Bears and the NRL. More 6pm Friday AEST games in New Zealand. Red and black colours of Canterbury and North Sydney. Plenty of away games in Sydney.

PNG and Brisbane Tigers could benefit from a partnership. Name the team after an animal that's endemic to PNG and Brisbane. Something like "Quolls" or "Crocodiles". Another option is "Flyers", after the flying fox."Firehawks" could work.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Let’s Go Bears, in 2morro’s Sunday Telegraph.
You can read the article here:

Fox are the same clueless f**ks that pressured the A-league to add Western United and Macarthur Bulls over better options by throwing around cash and spitting out buzzwords like "tribalism", "derbies", "rivalry", etc. . . They heavily influenced Super Rugby's model and expansion in this country as well, and have left a trail of other sports that they've used and abused for their own means.

News only care about their own agenda and as such their endorsement isn't worth shit. Nine's is little better.

Reactions: Vee

MugaB

Coach

Incorrect they were or are playing games in port moresby and BASING themselves in Cairns, those few games might have been cairns or randomly elsewhere in the Pacific islands

MugaB

Coach
Can you quote the part where Andrew Hill said they don't need govt funding?

Even Donkey agrees that they'd die the day the govt funding ran out.

You and your mate wb1234 are the only 2 people stupid enough to think they won't.
Ok troll, howbout you leave the discussions of the PNG bid for those who have read the articles and Listened to the interviews that Andrew hill has given to the public, instead of running your dumb mouth on what you think is going on... fkn trolling like you do, does you no favours, only makes you look like the loser you seem to be

Vlad59

Juniors
Ok troll, howbout you leave the discussions of the PNG bid for those who have read the articles and Listened to the interviews that Andrew hill has given to the public, instead of running your dumb mouth on what you think is going on... fkn trolling like you do, does you no favours, only makes you look like the loser you seem to be
The Hill interview was posted here somewhere. Maybe it needs to be reposted? It cleared up a lot of stuff.

Iamback

Coach

It really is that simple. That Interview was on the ABC News channel. So not a PVL fan boy and was straight quotes from the bid team.

Canard

Immortal
Tough GIF

Maximus

Coach

Epic tantrum.

I've listened to them. I've read the articles. The only people trolling are the ones who think PNG can survive without govt funding. This idea that sponsors are going to put in $20m a year for eternity is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. No club can survive if they are reliant on sponsorship income as their main source.

You're basically a @Wb1234 level poster at this stage.

Maximus

Coach
Some people including that poster don't look at stuff past the headlines.

Others go into these things deeper with eyes open

Which is of course why the PNG fans keep pushing the $600m lie despite Andrew Hill saying it's bullshit.

If you were actually looking into these things "deeper with eyes open", you'd be looking at the major issues in PNG and understanding just how difficult it would be to operate a team there, and just how much money it's going to need. $600m over 10 years doesn't cut it, and even that is a bullshit number.

The only people not looking past the headlines are the people who saw the big number and assumed the team would therefore be successful. That's you and the other PNG fans.

Madabro

Juniors
Ok so with the 17th club all done and dusted this bastion of expansion debate and opinion can cast its eyes further afield and start the arguments of who should be club 18!
Given the amount of money being thrown at PNG I would say they will likely be the 18th team. A league mad nation that would create an away game that teams will eventually dread. I like the idea of the Perth Bears as 19th team. Having a team in WA make sense from every angle (national comp, tv rights time slot) and also bringing back the Bears fan base just seems right. Playing 2 or 3 games a year in Sydney would be the only sticking point from a WA point of view. 20th team I think will be a 2nd NZ team. Very passionate fans so creating a rivalry between two NZ teams would be huge.

Latest posts