What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

hahah he gets so angry and frustrated if anyone questions his precious Brisbane Tigers. It's not even worth debating any of your points, they are just the usual strawman's, ad hominem attacks and completely baseless predictions - "A third Brisbane team is estimated to become one of the four richest rugby league clubs in the world." estimated by who, you?

CBB0C5A7-4C14-404F-941A-5607BE0B51FD.png

The reality is if the NRL is announcing who club 18 will be in 6 months time they will already be a long way down the road of making that decision. PNG, and Perth are the two obvious front runners.
The ABC doesn't agree with you. When they spoke about the Brisbane Tigers' competitors for the 18th licence they didn't mention Perth.

Who are the Brisbane Tigers and are they serious about getting an NRL franchise?
By Brittney Kleyn
Posted Wed 17 May 2023 at 8:06pmWednesday 17 May 2023 at 8:06pm, updated Wed 17 May 2023 at 9:10pm

The National Rugby League (NRL) is like any good business; always looking for opportunities to maximise its reach and revenue.

Many tipped adding a 17th side – and fourth in Queensland – would be a mistake.

But the Dolphins have proved even the most hardened sports critics wrong.

It's prompted the question of who will be the 18th NRL side.

The Brisbane Tigers were the runner-up for the 17th licence.

Now they've met with league officials to have another crack at getting in the national competition.

Who are the Tigers?

If the Dolphins wrote a "how-to guide" for old-but-new clubs to find success in the NRL, the Brisbane Tigers are following it closely.

Like their Redcliffe counterparts, the Tigers have been around for the better part of the past century, with a side currently in the reserve grade competition, the Queensland Cup.

It's also been a feeder club for the Melbourne Storm since 2010, with NRL veterans like the Rabbitohs' Cody Walker previously playing for the side.

Based in Coorparoo in Brisbane's inner south, the club's had several names since it was established in 1917, including Coorparoo and Eastern Suburbs Tigers – or Easts, to the locals.

They rebranded as the Brisbane Tigers in 2020, keeping their traditional orange and black colour scheme.

Are they serious about the bid?

You bet.

Shane Edwards, who is leading the club's latest campaign, says they've taken the NRL's feedback from their unsuccessful bid as the Brisbane Firehawks.

"They said it was an excellent bid. Obviously the decision-makers thought the Dolphins had a better bid," he said.

The club wants to see the south side of Brisbane represented in a national competition.

"This club is an NRL club to be," Mr Edwards said.

Wait, isn't there already a Tigers team in the NRL?

That was reason the Brisbane side called themselves the Firehawks in their previous bid.

The West Tigers are already in the national competition with an almost identical logo.

The club is "open minded" about new branding — even a name change — but for now it's the "Brisbane Tigers 18th team bid", Mr Edwards says.

Not confusing at all.

Didn't Brisbane just get a new team?

"I think we can all survive together," Brisbane Tigers CEO Brian Torpy said.

"We're 71 kilometres away from the Titans, and that's a large gap when you compare the Broncos that are 38 kilometres away from Redcliffe."

The soon-to-be-renamed Tigers hope to rally fans in Brisbane's south and western suburbs.

"You've got the Redlands, Logan, the Ipswich local governments, the fastest growing areas in Australia," Mr Torpy said.

"We're a rugby league state and we're a rugby league town, so I think there's enough support for another team."

And they haven't ruled out cutting the AFL's grass in the western corridor, in the wake of the Brisbane Lions moving their training base and headquarters to Springfield.

"We could take on the AFL in that area … to have greater rugby league representation out in the west," Mr Torpy said.

Do they have the facilities?

The big announcement has come with the unveiling of the club's $10 million stadium upgrade.

The venue will host at least three NRLW games this season, and several NRL clubs used the facilities already this year during Magic Round with no complaints.

"We can start tomorrow," Mr Torpy said.

Who's the Tigers' biggest competition for the 18th licence?

The federal government is already in discussions with the NRL about a Pasifika team.

There have even been whispers about a PNG side based in North Queensland, but the Brisbane Tigers say it's speculation.

"There's been a lot of talk in the media about Pasifika, North Sydney Bears, Perth, there's New Zealand, but we're not aware of any other bids," Mr Torpy said.

blue bags

First Grade
18th team needs to be a powerful tool
Fantastic TV product . Cause 19th team could be decades away. Can't waste on a lemon franchise

blue bags

First Grade
The noise around town all suggests that PNG is well advanced and has nominal bipartisan support for the moment.

The only thing that stops it now is a significant change in the political landscape before the election, which is almost inevitable, but still, only a madman would bet against them at the moment.
USA President Joe Biden is involved
PNG franchise

The Great Dane

First Grade
If the vast people are ignorant that’s no excuse

1895 was a schism not a breakaway

no new sport was created in 1895
I never claimed a new sport was created in 1895 (though they did extensively reform the rules pretty quickly). . . But you know what was created in 1895; a new organisation which still exists to this day now known as the Rugby Football League.

The Great Dane

First Grade
$135mil seems a bit low to be making that claim to me. Can't speak directly about the other clubs, but the Raiders own more in assets than that, about $140mil in their last report IIRC and ever growing. I'd imagine that at least a few of the other clubs would have larger portfolios than the Raiders and that a few more would be there abouts as well.

So yeah $135mil would be more than most clubs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've done a bit of creative accounting to come up with the claim that they'd be in the top four richest.

The Daily telegraph did a rich list of all the clubs assets about a month ago. I don't have access to the article, because who'd pay for that shit, but it's here for anybody that does and are interested.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Joe Biden. Vlandy. Albo
All had meetings. Dinner in the White house
Remember 😉
PVL attended a State Dinner at the White House. That is not the same as having a meeting with the president.

There are dozens of attendees at State Dinners, even hundreds on occasion, and though he would have been introduced to the President along with everybody else it's unlikely that they would have exchanged more than a handful of words or a couple sentences at most. It's almost like a celebrity meet and greet. They say hi, take a photo, then are shuffled on so the next person in line can get their photo.

The real value of attending a State Dinner is the opportunity to network with some very powerful and wealthy people.

db1adc432e49f591e49ef520f2c7c91465ceb69a

This is a picture of the actual dinner that PVL attended at the White House. He's sitting on the righthand side of the second table from the front in the second row of tables on the left.

$135mil seems a bit low to be making that claim to me. Can't speak directly about the other clubs, but the Raiders own more in assets than that, about $140mil in their last report IIRC and ever growing. I'd imagine that at least a few of the other clubs would have larger portfolios than the Raiders and that a few more would be there abouts as well.

So yeah $135mil would be more than most clubs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've done a bit of creative accounting to come up with the claim that they'd be in the top four richest.

The Daily telegraph did a rich list of all the clubs assets about a month ago. I don't have access to the article, because who'd pay for that shit, but it's here for anybody that does and are interested.
The difference between the Brisbane Tigers and the other clubs is a) the market they're in and b) supply and demand.

Brisbane Tigers will be the only NRL club based in southern Brisbane. On top of that, they'll be just the third club in the world's second largest and most parochial rugby league market. There's a strong demand for more RL content in SEQ from local clubs. We know this because television ratings for rugby league in Brisbane are significantly higher when Queensland clubs are playing. Companies in SEQ will pay good money to sponsor the Brisbane Tigers and purchase corporate boxes at Lang Park to see them play.

Clubs like the Raiders don't have a world class stadium like Lang Park to draw strong money from corporate hospitality. Nor do they have a huge amount of people turning in to watch them play in their market.

There's no doubt the Brisbane Tigers will generate a similar amount from football operations as the Dolphins.

Canard

Immortal
The difference between the Brisbane Tigers and the other clubs is a) the market they're in and b) supply and demand.

Brisbane Tigers will be the only NRL club based in southern Brisbane. On top of that, they'll be just the third club in the world's second largest and most parochial rugby league market. There's a strong demand for more RL content in SEQ from local clubs. We know this because television ratings for rugby league in Brisbane are significantly higher when Queensland clubs are playing. Companies in SEQ will pay good money to sponsor the Brisbane Tigers and purchase corporate boxes at Lang Park to see them play.

Clubs like the Raiders don't have a world class stadium like Lang Park to draw strong money from corporate hospitality. Nor do they have a huge amount of people turning in to watch them play in their market.

There's no doubt the Brisbane Tigers will generate a similar amount from football operations as the Dolphins.
Last I looked, Lang Park isn't based in "South Brisbane'

So the only difference between them and the Broncos is the colour of their jersey.

Wb1234

Referee
I never claimed a new sport was created in 1895 (though they did extensively reform the rules pretty quickly). . . But you know what was created in 1895; a new organisation which still exists to this day now known as the Rugby Football League.
I love the semantics

shame your knowledge of the history isn’t on par with that

the major rule changes didn’t occur for over a decade lmao

Latest posts