What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Matiunz

Juniors
Dolphins represent Moreton Bay in the northern outskirts of metropolitan Brisbane. The region has a population of 510k.

Brisbane Tigers will be the only team based on the southern side of Brisbane. There's 1.6m people in southern Brisbane.
Do the Titans have any presence in that area of Southern Brisbane?
Does Brisbane have people that say like and follow league but don’t support the Broncs or Dolphins?
Just as a Comparison I’m a North Islander (southern part) and support the Warriors, if NZ 2 came in as ‘South Island’ I’d be pretty ambivalent to them, at best they’d be my “2nd team” if that team incorporated the southern part of the North island I’d be much more inclined to support them but would also find it hard to drop the Warriors.
Are those people in that area of 1.6m not already supporters of one of the other 2 Brisbane teams? Or do you feel there’s enough support for say the Broncs to drop fans to Bris3 and still have full stadiums etc?

The Dolphins would already have had a supporter base, also not everybody in Qld/Brisbane likes the Broncos do they would have happily jumped onto the Dolphins band wagon.
I currently support the Dolphins as I have not supported a NRL team since 1999, the Bears last season in the NRL.
It was an easy decision as the Dolphins had no previous history against the Bears.
If the Bears were admitted as Perth, Bris3 or NZ2 I’d drop the Dolphins but I’d still have a soft spot for them.
I would like to see the Central Coast Bears in the NRL. NZ2, Central Coast and Brisbane 3 would Shore up east coast and New Zealand. Central Coast Bears would provide a much needed derby for the Knights.

Does Brisbane have people that say like and follow league but don’t support the Broncs or Dolphins?
Just as a Comparison I’m a North Islander (southern part) and support the Warriors, if NZ 2 came in as ‘South Island’ I’d be pretty ambivalent to them, at best they’d be my “2nd team” if that team incorporated the southern part of the North island I’d be much more inclined to support them but would also find it hard to drop the Warriors.
Are those people in that area of 1.6m not already supporters of one of the other 2 Brisbane teams? Or do you feel there’s enough support for say the Broncs to drop fans to Bris3 and still have full stadiums etc?
Titans have a small amount of support in the outer southern suburbs of Logan thst used to be part of Albert and Gold Coast.

There's a very large New Zealander expatriate in Logan that aren't rusted on Broncos fans.

Brisbane Tigers have four junior affiliate clubs in eastern Logan.

docbrown

Coach
Lets not forget Super Rugby has multiple teams from NZ, South Africa, Aust and their Pacifika Moana team in their club/zone competition.
I don’t watch Rugby by I do know this much.
Um... South Africa aren't coming back.

There's 5 Australian clubs -- soon to be 4 (bye Rebels) and maybe even 3 (bye Force - again).

There's 5 New Zealand clubs - now all smaller in support than the Warriors.

There's Moana, pretty much a 6th New Zealand club, which if it died no one would notice or care.

And there's Fiji -- which may end up going the way of Argentina and Japan -- because, hey remember that Argentina and Japan had teams in Super Rugby too? No? Neither do most people.

mongoose

Coach
My main question for Brisbane 3 is what differentiates it from the Broncs and Dolphins?
For example can someone from Brisbane tell me what the make up of Dolphins fans is as far as you know- I’d assume it’d be a mix of;
New fans (why weren’t they already supporting the Broncs?)
Brisbane fans of other NRL teams that didn’t follow the Broncs
Broncos converts
Broncs fans that have them as their second team.
How would Brisbane 3 expand the fan base without cannibalising the teams that already service Brisbane?

I think you've mostly nailed it:

Some Broncos converts living around the Redcliffe area
Casual fans of other clubs that aren't the Broncos. I know a Manly fan who jumped ship to the Dolphins.
Perhaps some new fans to the sport but not many I would imagine.
Some Qld cup followers but once again probably not many who didn't already have an NRL club.

Santino Patane

Juniors
Yeah, we are here mate. The train line does fill up with Titans fans on game day. Also, the club does have Logan and Ipswich in its strategic catchment with a lot of support in the area at a junior level, as well as a partnership with South Brisbane’s premier RL school- Marsden High.

Centy Coast

Juniors
I would like to see the Central Coast Bears in the NRL. NZ2, Central Coast and Brisbane 3 would Shore up east coast and New Zealand. Central Coast Bears would provide a much needed derby for the Knights.
They blew it with the Central Coast Bears, the NRL should’ve agreed to bring them in in 2014 with their first season being 2017, players like James Maloney, Kieran Foran, Chris Heighinton and Akuila Uate could’ve spearheaded the team.
Followed by local lads Nicho Hynes, Daniel and Jacob Saifiti, Connor Watson, Jacob Liddle, Jesse Ramien, Scotty Drinkwater, Jack Cogger, Tom Starling, Phoenix Crossland, Bradman Best, Adam Keighran, Ethan Strange and Keao Weekes.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You need to see a psychiatrist, but I'll play the game.

View attachment 87558

How the f**k does this apply to the Broncos, Dolphins and Tigers?

Using your f**ked up logic, expansion into Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth is an example of "diminishing returns" because it'll cost significantly more money, time and energy to get them competitive and yield smaller returns than a second and third team in Brisbane can provide, you f**king moron.

It cost News Ltd and the ARLC an extra $100m over 20 years to get the Storm where they are today. Dolphins have been bigger than them from the day they entered the competition.
The fact that you're asking for an explanation of how diminishing returns will effect the NRL's market in Brisbane means that you don't understand it.

Look it's not hard. Putting it as simply as possible (probably a little overly simplistic but whatever, it's suitable for our needs) the law of diminishing returns is a principle of production that argues that changes to a single factor in production will have a reduced return on investment each time you increase it so long as all other variables remain the same.

Using the NRL in Brisbane as the example; increasing the amount of teams increases production, but the cost to add each new team will remain stagnate while the increase in production per team will diminish with each new team until you hit a peak after which it'll actually decrease the return.

In other words the addition of new teams will cost the NRL the same or more than adding the Dolphins did, but the return they receive for that investment will be smaller each time they do it. For example the Broncos cost e.g. $15mil a year and average 30k a season, the Dolphins cost the same and average 25k a season, Easts cost the same and average 20k a year, and so on until you hit a peak after which point it starts to impact the whole line of production and you decrease return across the board (i.e. everybody's attendances start to go down).

Marry that with other basic economic and market factors, e.g. supply and demand, market saturation, etc, etc, and adding more teams to SEQ in quick succession is just quick marching the Brisbane market into being in a similar space as Sydney's, and that isn't in anybody's interest.

And yeah it's inevitable that the law of diminishing returns will effect the the NRL on the national scale at some point as well, but the NRL is a fair way off that point just yet. It's starting to impact the AFL though if you want an example of it in action in this industry in another sport.

Does that clear things up? Probably not right, but a man can dream lol.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
The fact that you're asking for an explanation of how diminishing returns will effect the NRL's market in Brisbane means that you don't understand it.

Look it's not hard. Putting it as simply as possible (probably a little overly simplistic but whatever, it's suitable for our needs) the law of diminishing returns is a principle of production that argues that changes to a single factor in production will have a reduced return on investment each time you increase it so long as all other variables remain the same.

Using the NRL in Brisbane as the example; increasing the amount of teams increases production, but the cost to add each new team will remain stagnate while the increase in production per team will diminish with each new team until you hit a peak after which it'll actually decrease the return.

In other words the addition of new teams will cost the NRL the same or more than adding the Dolphins did, but the return they receive for that investment will be smaller each time they do it. For example the Broncos cost e.g. $15mil a year and average 30k a season, the Dolphins cost the same and average 25k a season, Easts cost the same and average 20k a year, and so on until you hit a peak after which point it starts to impact the whole line of production and you decrease return across the board (i.e. everybody's attendances start to go down).

Marry that with other basic economic and market factors, e.g. supply and demand, market saturation, etc, etc, and adding more teams to SEQ in quick succession is just quick marching the Brisbane market into being in a similar space as Sydney's, and that isn't in anybody's interest.

And yeah it's inevitable that the law of diminishing returns will effect the the NRL on the national scale at some point as well, but the NRL is a fair way off that point just yet. It's starting to impact the AFL though if you want an example of it in action in this industry in another sport.

You can guess what his response is going to be

blue bags

First Grade

In other words
You can't keep juicing the same orange
And expect the same amount of juice

Wb1234

Referee
You dopes talking about the law of diminishing returns

the theory says keep investing till marginal revenue equals marginal cost

if revenues start off at a high level of course they will fall to normal

but along the way be well above average

The Great Dane

First Grade
You dopes talking about the law of diminishing returns

the theory says keep investing till marginal revenue equals marginal cost

if revenues start off at a high level of course they will fall to normal

but along the way be well above average
A point the NRL is arguably already at in Brisbane/SEQ, or at least near enough that it makes no difference.

You're also not taking other factors unique to a franchise sports league business into account, like that the cost and return on investment is different in different markets as a singular example.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Nrl average crowd 19k
Dolphins 26k and growing

so

no
See you're instantly jumping to the NRL average, i.e. not comparing like for like.

At that point you're basically making the argument that Sydney is oversaturated so it's okay for Brisbane to be oversaturated as well, which is just plain stupid.

The Dolphins average hasn't been 26k so far this year either, and it'll almost certainly be even lower next year than this year, and lower again the year after that unless they see some serious success on the pitch (i.e. look like they're going to win the premiership). That's the novelty effect in action, and until their averages start to average out we won't have a good understanding of where they're at or the impact their addition has had on the broader market.

Wb1234

Referee
See you're instantly jumping to the NRL average, i.e. not comparing like for like.

At that point you're basically making the argument that Sydney is oversaturated so it's okay for Brisbane to be oversaturated as well, which is just plain stupid.

The Dolphins average hasn't been 26k so far this year either, and it'll almost certainly be even lower next year than this year, and lower again the year after that unless they see some serious success on the pitch (i.e. look like they're going to win the premiership). That's the novelty effect in action, and until their averages start to average out we won't have a good understanding of where they're at or the impact their addition has had on the broader market.
That’s what marginal revenue equals marginal cost means

dolphins increased the nrl average by averaging more

they also help all the other qld sides massively too

Difference is the Dolphins came in 25 years after the last Brisbane club entered. You think another Brisbane club a few years apart from the Dolphins is going to have the same impact?
You've lived in Brisbane for most of your life, but deep down you really hate Queenslanders, hey?

For years you've clutched at straws to undermine expansion in Brisbane. The reasons you've come up with are insane and make no f**ken sense. Years ago you said Brisbane should be limited to having two really big teams that generate large attendances like AwFuL because you're insecure about them drawing more fans through the gate. As dumb as your logic is, you managed to nullify the spike this will provide to the NRL by advocating for small teams from Adelaide and Perth to be added, despite knowing they will drag the overall average down.

The other day you made the dumb claim that we should add Perth instead of Brisbane 3 because AwFuL will laugh at us if we don't, even though you've got no evidence to back up your assertion.

You also claimed Perth will have a higher glass ceiling than Brisbane 3. This is just a biased opinion. Storm have been around for 25 years and been the most successful team in the NRL, yet they're smaller than the Dolphins.

What makes you think a Perth-based NRL team will manage to be bigger than Brisbane 3 and the Storm?

You're an arrogant idiot with delusions of grandeur. Just like Perth Rat. From now on I'll be calling you mongoloid.

AFL? i remember some relatively famous player injured their shoulder years ago in a game and couldn't get off the field and the opposing team were purposely punching and barging it to make it worse, all off the ball of course... was one of the most unsportsmanlike things I've ever seen. Very weird sport...
From today`s SMH.
How can you respect a sport where supposed grown men behave like this.
".. the Sydney Swans, who insist there is no problem whatsoever between their forward, Sam Wicks, and his teammates after he was ignored by them when he slotted a second-quarter goal last week."
I don`t give a rat`s arse about fumbleball, but this confirms everything I think about that game. Childish school yard stuff. Weak as piss.

Doesn’t that dope live in Brisbane ?

he sure talks down rugby league in Brisbane every chance he gets

Brisbane 3 and 4 will have higher crowds than Perth

higher tv ratings and more sponsors
He moved to Brisbane as a child, but he's originally from Canberra. I think he's just jealous because rugby league in Canberra will never be as strong as it is in Brisbane and Sydney.

Latest posts