What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Fans didn’t stop going after 5 years due to abad investment.
that small regional market started off with a crowd avg not far different to dolphins.
redcliffe drew about 800 people to games, the 30k dolphins membership, cough cough, aren’t old Redcliffe fans lol

yeh im sure they are, last year they avgd more than the dolphins and their best crowd avg in 15 years, seems to have made a massive impact lol
Dolphins averaged 32k at Lang Park despite finishing 13th on the ladder you dickhead. Lions averaged 27k at the Gabba. You cannot expect the Dolphins' overall average to be more than 25k when they're playing a few games at a ground with a capacity of 11.5k. If they were averaging less than the Lions at Lang Park then you might have a point, but they're not so f**k off.

didn’t cowboys get more against nsw clubs this year lol?

Aren’t the suns getting bigger crowds than titans? Now thats just plain embarrassing! Clearly another seq team isn’t a good idea when two of the three are lagging behind the AFl clubs as it is.
Cowboys played the Dolphins in front of a sell out crowd at North Queensland Stadium you dumb prick.

That’s what sent the club broke

even now the titans crowd average is more than Perth will ever get

did you see the crowd tonight ? Dolphins

That's right. It's been well documented by rugby league fans from the Gold Coast that support for the club nosedived after the CoE debacle left a lot of the local tradies who built it unpaid when the club declared they were bankrupt. There's no way their families and friends were going to support the club after it failed to pay them for their labour. It doesn't surprise me that the dumb f**k in Perth thinks he knows more about RL on the Gold Coast than people who live there. He's an idiot.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Seeing how you guys all love talking about AFL, I was up at Passage Way Oval Bateau Bay today walking the dog and Jasmin Strange (NRLW Roosters) was playing AFL for the Bateau Bay Blues.
Her brother Ethan (Canberra Raiders) was there watching her play, fresh from last nights win over the Sea Eagles.
My younger son knows Jazzy and she is only getting a few games under her belt for match fitness.

Seeing how you guys all love talking about AFL, I was up at Passage Way Oval Bateau Bay today walking the dog and Jasmin Strange (NRLW Roosters) was playing AFL for the Bateau Bay Blues.
Her brother Ethan (Canberra Raiders) was there watching her play, fresh from last nights win over the Sea Eagles.
My younger son knows Jazzy and she is only getting a few games under her belt for match fitness.
The only thing fumbleball has going for it is the players run around more than the fatties in gridrion.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You and your dog are now counted in AFL participation numbers

cinders7

Juniors
Tits never recovered from the triple whammy of the GFC (hit the GC population particularly hard), the COE debacle and the lack of support from the NRL when the AFL started throwing around tens of $millions and handing out free tickets everywhere. The Titans were a new club and needed help but all they got was constant white-anting.

It's a huge problem with the game's Sydney-centric admin and media. The only thing they were concerned about during that period was western Sydney, and propping up four poorly run clubs against a single a AFL franchise while leaving the GC's brand new team to fight for itself.

It should've been the other way around. If four clubs, some with a century of history, couldn't fight off a new competitor they shouldn't be in the top grade.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Let's not beat around the mulberry bush here.

The reason why AFL Red puts down the Dolphins and the Titans is because he's an AFL fan who wants to see them falter to AFLs advantage.
An NRL team in Perth is just this troll's beard and a way to get into the discussion. After that its anti NRL and pro AFL rubbish.

He's a parasite.

Nerd

Bench
Speaking of the powerhouse crowd magnet that is the Brisbane Lions. My son told me yesterday that him and some mates are going to the next Lions game on you guessed it, a bunch of free tickets. Looks like the AFL are back to trying to artificially prop up the Lions crowd numbers again.
Bit of a worry for the paddle pop Lions that this is going on the very next season after being in the GF.

mongoose

Coach
You've lived in Brisbane for most of your life, but deep down you really hate Queenslanders, hey?

For years you've clutched at straws to undermine expansion in Brisbane. The reasons you've come up with are insane and make no f**ken sense. Years ago you said Brisbane should be limited to having two really big teams that generate large attendances like AwFuL because you're insecure about them drawing more fans through the gate. As dumb as your logic is, you managed to nullify the spike this will provide to the NRL by advocating for small teams from Adelaide and Perth to be added, despite knowing they will drag the overall average down.

The other day you made the dumb claim that we should add Perth instead of Brisbane 3 because AwFuL will laugh at us if we don't, even though you've got no evidence to back up your assertion.

You also claimed Perth will have a higher glass ceiling than Brisbane 3. This is just a biased opinion. Storm have been around for 25 years and been the most successful team in the NRL, yet they're smaller than the Dolphins.

What makes you think a Perth-based NRL team will manage to be bigger than Brisbane 3 and the Storm?

You're an arrogant idiot with delusions of grandeur. Just like Perth Rat. From now on I'll be calling you mongoloid.
getting all personal again because someone disagrees with you? You are just embarrassing yourself with this type of carry on.. I could accuse you of being a Rugby League hater because you don't believe the product can grow outside of its heartlands. You secretly hate League and are probably a very, very pathetic AFL troll trying to derail proper expansion discussion. I mean you know about all the history of AFL in QLD and love bringing it up in discussion. You want the Broncos and Storm dead, two of the NRL's most successful and largest clubs... it all adds up.

mongoose

Coach
Speaking of the powerhouse crowd magnet that is the Brisbane Lions. My son told me yesterday that him and some mates are going to the next Lions game on you guessed it, a bunch of free tickets. Looks like the AFL are back to trying to artificially prop up the Lions crowd numbers again.
Bit of a worry for the paddle pop Lions that this is going on the very next season after being in the GF.
Broncos are on track to have their second highest crowd average ever... AFL are worried (GROTD is secretly worried) .

docbrown

Coach
Broncos at near all-time record crowds this year.
Dolphins had the 2nd highest crowds in the league last year despite finishing 13th.
Cowboys last year had their 6th highest average out of 3 decades despite finishing 11th.
Titans finished 8th with crowds last year (above Panthers, Eels, Bulldogs) despite coming 14th.

Someone please explain to me how Queensland is tapped out when they had 4 of the top 9 crowd averages last year. I'm really struggling to see it.

MugaB

Coach
Dolphins had the 2nd highest crowds in the league last year despite finishing 13th.
Cowboys last year had their 6th highest average out of 3 decades despite finishing 11th.
Titans finished 8th with crowds last year (above Panthers, Eels, Bulldogs) despite coming 14th.

Someone please explain to me how Queensland is tapped out when they had 4 of the top 9 crowd averages last year. I'm really struggling to see it.
PR = oh oh .I can answer that, honeymoon period with the underwhelming dolphins, who btw stole our pirate colors... those bastards

Wb1234

Referee
Never said I didn’t. I like the titans.
but tbh I do pnt think for the afl or nrl it’s been a particularly big return on investment do you?

nope brisbane2 was an obvious choice for the last twenty years, just they picked the wrong bid, imo.
So Gold Coast is a poor roi but for Perth we should just ignore the roi and hope for the best ?

Wb1234

Referee

Growing qld crowds are a big reason the nrl broke crowd records

docbrown

Coach
Growing qld crowds are a big reason the nrl broke crowd records
4 out of the top 9 crowd averages despite 3 of the teams coming in the bottom 7 on the latter. I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind can criticise them.

This year Broncos are 7th and averaging close to 40k. Cowboys are 10th getting 20k+ crowds. Dolphins are also pulling in 20k+ crowds, above most Sydney clubs. Titans have dropped off but that's understandable coming 16th. Some people are just hard to please.

Wb1234

Referee
4 out of the top 9 crowd averages despite 3 of the teams coming in the bottom 7 on the latter. I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind can criticise them.

This year Broncos are 7th and averaging close to 40k. Cowboys are 10th getting 20k+ crowds. Dolphins are also pulling in 20k+ crowds, above most Sydney clubs. Titans have dropped off but that's understandable coming 16th. Some people are just hard to please.
We were averaging 60k crowds in Brisbane in 95

since then brisbanes population has gone up many millions and by 2040 probably another 2 million.

its easy for Brisbane to handle one or even two more nrl clubs as the broncos don’t have the space for new fans in the future unless Suncorp goes to 70k

docbrown

Coach
Honestly, I think half the reason people complain here is that deep down they know that most of the locations for expansion are actually going to work long term, just with varying degrees of success. They're just worried that their preferred location won't be one of the next 3 chosen.

But the NRL isn't restricted by playing talent numbers like the AFL is. Our player talent pool is basically wherever rugby union is played. As the salary cap increases, it becomes a strong magnet for talent attraction, converting players who would ordinarily go to Super Rugby, and Union players overseas. On top of that PNG is barely tapped, NZ's and the Pacific Island numbers will increase as league increases its popularity and subsumes Union in the region, and the WA/VIC will start producing players in bigger numbers over time. In comparison, the AFL in 20 years time will still get 99.99% of its players from Australia.

There's no reason why a 20 team league is the end of expansion. Perth, Adelaide, a 5th Queensland team, New Zealand 2 and PNG can all happen over the next two decades with proper planning. A 22 team league is manageable.

The saturation in Australia would be the same/similar as AFL's (19 NRL vs 19-20 AFL teams) but also spread out in more cities (10 vs 8). Plus on top of that there's be 3 teams across NZ & PNG (another 16-22 million people).

If that's not a blueprint for being the most dominant sport in the whole region, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

Latest posts