What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

More information coming out regards Perth NRL bid;

Cumins is aware of the move, supported by V'landys, to bring back the Bears in the NRL in a liaison with Perth.

"It is not our first preference," Cumins told AAP.

"The people involved in the consortium are West Australians who love rugby league and would love to see a stand-alone team in Perth.

"If we had to make a concession, and a partnership was the only way we could do it, then we would look at that, but there are lots of downsides to those arrangements and the integration with people on the other side of the country."

Cumins said: "West Australians are very parochial".

"The history and traditions of the North Sydney Bears and Newtown Jets have no relevance to anyone in Perth," he said.

"People in Perth would be going, 'why are we playing games at North Sydney Oval?'"

Cumins said the reason he had not reached out to the Bears or Jets was because he agreed with Tinley that Tinley would hold those discussions.

"When, and if, it is appropriate we will do that,:" he said.

The bid headed by Cumins has five high-powered individuals as part of the consortium.

"We have met with Peter Tinley and the government on more than a dozen occasions over the last two years
and they know our group well and what capacity we have," Cumins said.

"The government doesn't decide who the bid vehicle will be, but will work closely with whoever wins the bid.

"The last thing you want is several Perth consortiums trying to get the license. You want one co-ordinated group."

Cumins has other potential movers and shakers with significant wealth and acumen around rugby league keen to join the bid, which he has said "ticked all the boxes".

"We have been told unofficially we will need to raise $30 million and we are confident we can raise that money," he said.

The government working group in Perth on the other hand are convinced they are "NRL ready" now.

Forget the Bears, give them Adelaide whenever it comes up. I want a W.A. franchise with a W.A. logo.

Bukowski

Juniors
The examples I’ve seen of clubs being transported to new markets have been pretty successful. Swans and Lions. Can’t see why migrating the bears to Perth won’t work if done properly. I’d rather Perth were stand alone but it can work.
I'm not all that familiar how the swans came about but i think the brisbane bears went broke and they and needed a vfl team to bail them out. It was through necessity for their survival.
Anyway, it's great to see they can finally see the worth of Perth to the NRL.

Bukowski

Juniors
More information coming out regards Perth NRL bid;

Cumins is aware of the move, supported by V'landys, to bring back the Bears in the NRL in a liaison with Perth.

"It is not our first preference," Cumins told AAP.

"The people involved in the consortium are West Australians who love rugby league and would love to see a stand-alone team in Perth.

"If we had to make a concession, and a partnership was the only way we could do it, then we would look at that, but there are lots of downsides to those arrangements and the integration with people on the other side of the country."

Cumins said: "West Australians are very parochial".

"The history and traditions of the North Sydney Bears and Newtown Jets have no relevance to anyone in Perth," he said.

"People in Perth would be going, 'why are we playing games at North Sydney Oval?'"

Cumins said the reason he had not reached out to the Bears or Jets was because he agreed with Tinley that Tinley would hold those discussions.

"When, and if, it is appropriate we will do that,:" he said.

The bid headed by Cumins has five high-powered individuals as part of the consortium.

"We have met with Peter Tinley and the government on more than a dozen occasions over the last two years
and they know our group well and what capacity we have," Cumins said.

"The government doesn't decide who the bid vehicle will be, but will work closely with whoever wins the bid.

"The last thing you want is several Perth consortiums trying to get the license. You want one co-ordinated group."

Cumins has other potential movers and shakers with significant wealth and acumen around rugby league keen to join the bid, which he has said "ticked all the boxes".

"We have been told unofficially we will need to raise $30 million and we are confident we can raise that money," he said.

The government working group in Perth on the other hand are convinced they are "NRL ready" now.

Forget the Bears, give them Adelaide whenever it comes up. I want a W.A. franchise with a W.A. logo.
What would a West Australian know about Perth. I wanna hear from Billy Moore and Greg Florimo.

blue bags

First Grade
I'm not all that familiar how the swans came about but i think the brisbane bears went broke and they and needed a vfl team to bail them out. It was through necessity for their survival.
Anyway, it's great to see they can finally see the worth of Perth to the NRL.
AFL South Melbourne bloods team. Relocated to Sydney. Became the Sydney Swans
Same as Melbourne AFL team Fitzroy lions.
Relocated to Brisbane. Merging with Brisbane Bear's. Brisbane lions