What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth needed a Sydney or Brisbane club to link up with foe its juniors to play in

this does that

plus they get a leagues club funding them and all the members and sponsors the rich north shore will offer
OK that makes sense too, esp the league club funding. So why are some WA supporters against the idea? It all seems to line up... WA gets a team that taps into existing infrastructure / funding which will no doubt help with being successful sooner. If there's a thought it wont truly be a WA team, surely residents will gravitate over time, especially if they're winning.

Wb1234

Referee
OK that makes sense too, esp the league club funding. So why are some WA supporters against the idea? It all seems to line up... WA gets a team that taps into existing infrastructure / funding which will no doubt help with being successful sooner. If there's a thought it wont truly be a WA team, surely residents will gravitate over time, especially if they're winning.
People come up with conspiracy theories

they think norths will try and move back to Sydney full time

plus they look at the mess the joint venture clubs like dragons and saints are and want to avoid it

plus they may also want to choose their own identity and colours

Dragonwest

Juniors
More jnrs, less investment in turning that number into first graders.
800 jnrs in Bears catchment around 2500 in Perth, 3000 in WA.
Imagine if we had a team for those kids to aspire to and investment to get them there!
What Bears does do though is give us a place where talented youngsters from across NSw can play in top Jnr comps without leaving home

I see no need for a Perth Bears NSw cup team based in Sydney, it should be based in Perth.
Then a quality U16's comp in perth with a Perth Bears in Sg Ball and Flegg for WA jnr development, and a NS Bears in HM, SG Ball and Flegg in Sydney. Thatd be a decent development set up imo.
System must start at Harold Matthews in Perth, too late to be converting club 18 year olds into SG Ball players over a 3 month period.

They must have contact time with a high performance setup from 15.

Western Australians like to whinge. It's why Perth Rat has lived there for 25 years.

doesn't count, they're all of nsw/qld/nz ancestory :rolleyes::rolleyes:
You and your mates have argued for years that the game needs "new fans" from non-traditional markets. Your mate The Great Dunce said Dolphins didn't create "new fans" because they're from Queensland. If the bulk of NRL Vic's player base and Storm's fanbase is made up of Queenslanders, New South Welshmen and New Zealanders living in Victoria then by definition they're not "new fans".

Tl;Dr.

You set the rule. I'm following it. Now you're whinging because it's being used against you.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth needed a Sydney or Brisbane club to link up with foe its juniors to play in

this does that

plus they get a leagues club funding them and all the members and sponsors the rich north shore will offer
There's a lot of assumptions in that last line

mongoose

Coach
You and your mates have argued for years that the game needs "new fans" from non-traditional markets. Your mate The Great Dunce said Dolphins didn't create "new fans" because they're from Queensland. If the bulk of NRL Vic's player base and Storm's fanbase is made up of Queenslanders, New South Welshmen and New Zealanders living in Victoria then by definition they're not "new fans".

Tl;Dr.

You set the rule. I'm following it. Now you're whinging because it's being used against you.
who says the bulk of victoria's player base and fans are from those places? sounds like something you've just made up in your head

who says the bulk of victoria's player base and fans are from those places? sounds like something you've just made up in your head

Mahe Fonua was the trailblazer in 2012, and was followed by Young Tonumaipea, Richie Kennar, and Dean Ieremia before current young gun Fa'alogo, who last week signed a fresh five-year extension with the club.

They're the five "Victorian" juniors who've played for the Storm.

All five of them are Polynesian.

Ritchie Kennar was born in Samoa.

Centy Coast

Juniors
That Sydney gets a few more games of Rugby League at a 1930s style oval, in front of crowds in the high 5000s.
As a Bears fan in NSW I am happy with having only the away games in Sydney and NSW, I only hope WA fans will deliver at their end crowd wise.
During their three years in the top flight (2 years ARL, 1 year Super League) the Reds didn’t draw very large crowds.
Imagine if the Bears two games at North Sydney Oval drew more fans than the Bears games in Perth.
Anyway as I said, nothing is set in stone yet, let’s first see if PNG can get across the line as the 18th team in 2027, then we can all worry about 2030.
By then most of the posters on this forum will be in nursing homes unable to communicate anyways lol.

Vlad59

Juniors
As a Bears fan in NSW I am happy with having only the away games in Sydney and NSW, I only hope WA fans will deliver at their end crowd wise.
During their three years in the top flight (2 years ARL, 1 year Super League) the Reds didn’t draw very large crowds.
Imagine if the Bears two games at North Sydney Oval drew more fans than the Bears games in Perth.
Anyway as I said, nothing is set in stone yet, let’s first see if PNG can get across the line as the 18th team in 2027, then we can all worry about 2030.
By then most of the posters on this forum will be in nursing homes unable to communicate anyways lol.
The last line is optimistic. Crematorium?

Centy Coast

Juniors
Not sure why you’re trying to troll Manly when the topic is the Bears. Manly is in the NRL and has won premierships within the last 100 years.
Because Manly kiled my club off with dirty under handed tactics, stole the merger money to survive, very questionable tactics both Arko and Fulton used with their positions within the ARL. Had the Bears joined Super League I have no doubt the Bears would still be around today.

Their pathways squads are littered with Victorians. He’s been told that but refuses to take it in.
Are they?

I just looked up their Jersey Flegg team.

Only four of them were born in Victoria. Three of the four born in Victoria are Polynesian.

The squad is littered with players from Queensland (8), NSW (10) and New Zealand (16). It even has an American and a Western Australian.

Thirty-six of the squad's forty players were born outside of Victoria.

Wb1234

Referee
They will get one game vs manly at nso which is enough

channel nine and fox will be fighting for that game

Perth Red

Post Whore
We're not, well mostly.
we are against a sydney owned and operated club playing some games in perth.

If it was a Swans scenario then it might work.
Ownership and the perception of what the club actually is will be the make or break of it.

Ideally we'd like our own identity to build and call our own. I think most fans woudl prefer that.

ps their LC doesnt make much money, it wont be funding anything other than the pathways in NS.