What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Matt_CBY

Juniors
No geniusmate wants Manly to grab the North Shore for themselves when the Bears go to WA, hell Manly ignore the Northern Beaches and get all their players from Blacktown why would they bother with the North Shore.
Manly had their chance, they could’ve been a part of the North Shore and the Central Coast but they wanted everything for themselves, the Central Coast people stopped attending games in droves, Manly got the message and returned back to Brokevale.

Manly have failed to grow any interest outside of immediate area. It’s unbelievable Manly have grown into the North Shore and on the Central Coast in the last 22 years. So much so that the Roosters and Souths have done a better job.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
If we get PNG and Perth Bears as the next two teams then I fear the game will be setting itself up for a very uncertain future. So much could go wrong and set the game back if the worse case scenario becomes reality.

Imagine if the funding for PNG is scrapped by an LNP Gov midway through a broadcast rights cycle?

What happens if the PNG club cannot lure quality players?

What happens if Cumins' claims about Western Australians' parochialism leads to the Perth Bears drawing limited support?

What if the Perth Bears is a financial disaster due to poor crowd support in a parochial fumbleball market?

What happens if the talent pool is diluted so much that there's not enough quality players to keep Melbourne and Perth competitive?

We know the clubs don't want PNG.

no one would do anything ever if they were constantly worried about the absolute worst case scenario.

Centy Coast

Juniors
I’m hoping it won’t end up being a generally suboptimal arrangement all around as it seems like it could be. It’s all 20 years too late to make a Swans-style strategy work as well as it could have, all the focus around the Bears being back and hyping up the idea that they’ll play at NSO runs the risk of putting off parochial WA types and the North Shore will likely continue to be a poor cousin of its neighbouring regions, with little interaction with an NRL team and no good reason for North Shore kids with no ties to the Bears to support them.

Manly would be my preference in that scenario, but someone like the Roosters getting the area would be far superior than the Bears continuing to hold the area. If Manly upsets you, imagine the Roosters getting the North Shore in that scenario. The Bears get their name and colours back in the NRL, the focus around Sydney will be limited and on WA where it should be and kids on the North Shore can grow up with the Roosters developing the area.
Who are you kidding, the Roosters don’t grow or develop anything, they have been on the Central Coast for over 13 years now and Kincumber junior Sandon Smith is the only player to have made NRL level coming through their pathways system, that is a absolute joke when you consider Nicho Hynes, the Saifiti Brothers Daniel and Jacob, Connor Watson, Scotty Drinkwater, Tom Starling, Jack Cogger, Phoenix Crossland Bradman Best and Ethan Strange are all Central Coast lads who have slipped through the Roosters fingers.
The Roosters will always try to buy a competition victory rather than develop towards one, it’s in their dna.

Haffa

Who are you kidding, the Roosters don’t grow or develop anything, they have been on the Central Coast for over 13 years now and Kincumber junior Sandon Smith is the only player to have made NRL level coming through their pathways system, that is a absolute joke when you consider Nicho Hynes, the Saifiti Brothers Daniel and Jacob, Connor Watson, Scotty Drinkwater, Tom Starling, Jack Cogger, Phoenix Crossland Bradman Best and Ethan Strange are all Central Coast lads who have slipped through the Roosters fingers.
The Roosters will always try to buy a competition victory rather than develop towards one, it’s in their dna.
The move to the Central Coast coincided with buying up any Leagues Club they could get their hands on and then shutting it down and selling the real estate. RIP Woy Woy Leagues...

Centy Coast

Juniors
If we get PNG and Perth Bears as the next two teams then I fear the game will be setting itself up for a very uncertain future. So much could go wrong and set the game back if the worse case scenario becomes reality.

Imagine if the funding for PNG is scrapped by an LNP Gov midway through a broadcast rights cycle?

What happens if the PNG club cannot lure quality players?

What happens if Cumins' claims about Western Australians' parochialism leads to the Perth Bears drawing limited support?

What if the Perth Bears is a financial disaster due to poor crowd support in a parochial fumbleball market?

What happens if the talent pool is diluted so much that there's not enough quality players to keep Melbourne and Perth competitive?

We know the clubs don't want PNG.
The NRL look like they are hoping to have Wayne Bennett as coach of PNG will attract quality players to them, I hope he starts to learn their language lol.
As far as the talent pool the Perth Bears will just take players from Penrith like the rest of the NRL teams do lol.

MugaB

Coach
People come up with conspiracy theories

they think norths will try and move back to Sydney full time

plus they look at the mess the joint venture clubs like dragons and saints are and want to avoid it

plus they may also want to choose their own identity and colours
Dragons and saints are the same club derr fred

Centy Coast

Juniors
The move to the Central Coast coincided with buying up any Leagues Club they could get their hands on and then shutting it down and selling the real estate. RIP Woy Woy Leagues...
Just before the Roosters first moved to the Central Coast way back in 2011 their CEO Brian Canavan rang me, I had just finished training my sons team and he wanted to talk to me about having a NRL team based on the Central Coast, its pros and cons etc.
I had previously been heavily involved with the Central Coast Bears bid but our hopes had been all but dashed with the NRL just telling us that expansion would not be looked at again until 2014.
At first I thought it was one of the dads from my sons team just taking the piss out of me as I was on my way to Coles at Killarneyvale.
I asked him if it was really him and soon realised it was lol, we talked for over an hour, my son was in the car still wet from training, parent of the year doh.
Over the next few months Wyong became the Roosters NSW Cup feeder team, they made a big announcement at Central Coast Stadium and also announced the Roosters partnership with the Central Coast junior representative teams.

MugaB

Coach
simple lol Reality is Vlandys tries to foster a sydney club on Perth by telling us its that or nothing it will be a disaster. he isnt as dumb as you.
he will advocate for Bears to join with Perth consortium as he is sydney myopic but if they say no ARLC will still bring Perth is as long as they tick the boxes.
They say no to V'landys, then there's no team period, nobody says no to that man, and gets away with it, Greeks hold massive grudges

Wb1234

Referee
Not admitting the John singleton backed central coast was a huge mistake

Centy Coast

Juniors
They say to V'landys, then there's no team period, nobody says no to that man, and gets away with it, Greeks hold massive grudges
Thats how this happened, as soon as Peter Cummins opened his mouth on Saturday about wanting Perth to stand alone V’Landys saw red and made this announcement.
The look on Bears Chairman Daniel Dicksons face when he was interviewed was priceless, Dicko was like “he said that, oh okay”.
and continued on with the interview.
Since that interview Daniel Dickson has obviously seen the Peter V’Landys interview in the press.
I had heard on Saturday an announcement was coming about tenders in late June which I posted on here.

Wb1234

Referee
Thats how this happened, as soon as Peter Cummins opened his mouth on Saturday about wanting Perth to stand alone V’Landys saw red and made this announcement.
The look on Bears Chairman Daniel Dicksons face when he was interviewed was priceless, Dicko was like “he said that, oh okay”.
Since that interview Daniel Dickson has obviously seen the Peter V’Landys interview in the press.
I had heard on Saturday an announcement was coming about tenders in late June which I posted on here.
They interviewed the bears ceo tonight on the show before nrl360 hosted by blocker and Matty Russel

only two mins

Bukowski

Juniors
Yeah the Perth locals will love that arrogance coming from Sydney. This will be a huge winner.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Not admitting the John singleton backed central coast was a huge mistake
That was the first Central Coast Bears bid attempt back in 2005, backed by John Singleton $$$, everybody thought it was a done deal until Michael Searles 11th hour snatch by the Gold Coast Titans, it was a shock especially after the previously failed attempts of the Gold Coast Giants, the Gold Coast Seagulls and the Gold Coast Chargers, hasn’t that area been a success story for all sporting teams “sigh”
IMG_4225.jpeg

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
The NRL look like they are hoping to have Wayne Bennett as coach of PNG will attract quality players to them, I hope he starts to learn their language lol.
As far as the talent pool the Perth Bears will just take players from Penrith like the rest of the NRL teams do lol.
How is Benny Boyoh Bennet going to learn 800 language's from PNG
Just be hip hop. Rap talk music
From Sydney western suburbs
Penrith. Parramatta. Area's

Latest posts