What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

mongoose

Coach
Not sure if this has been discussed. but announcing 18th and 19th team is a little peculiar.... I get the feeling the NRL are not certain that PNG will last very long or even get off the ground so the 19th team is there as backup. If PNG folds early then we are still left with 18 teams. It makes me think PNG is really just an obligation to the government but very much an experiment...

Pippen94

First Grade
Not sure if this has been discussed. but announcing 18th and 19th team is a little peculiar.... I get the feeling the NRL are not certain that PNG will last very long or even get off the ground so the 19th team is there as backup. If PNG folds early then we are still left with 18 teams. It makes me think PNG is really just an obligation to the government but very much an experiment...

Lol, weak troll attempt. NRL doesn't owe feds anything. It's the 600 million they are getting which is why a PNG team will happen.

I love how everybody is forgetting PNG hunters have been playing in an Aussie comp for years!!

Wb1234

Referee
No it’s because they want to sell 19 or 20 teams as part of the tv deal which will be negotiated soon

Centy Coast

Juniors
Absolute nonsense.
Okay your entitled to your opinion but it’s funny how Bears Chairman Daniel Dickson had absolutely no idea of Peter V’Landys media statement when initially interviewed, of course he knew of talks but he hadn’t known V’Landys had gone public and I knew the day before this media release was all made public but it is all nonsense and you know better.

MugaB

Coach
They also realise the value in Brisbane, PNG and NZ too. All have their pros and cons. And yes, they're going to work with the franchises that offer them both the most value. PNG may be a long term government commitment to rugby league in the hundreds of millions. Christchurch has a new state of the art stadium. WA's main value is it's a large metro but it's behind on both the money and stadium fronts.

Furthermore, the NRL will also consider risk exposure. It may be that the government will cover the full cost of PNG. NZ has been more receptive to rugby league than WA. In WA's case, if you've got a Perth stand alone or a Perth Bears bid, the NRL will lean towards the Bears in terms of risk exposure. Also if the Cummins led group is too difficult to work, then they'll go with a different one. It might be a different WA consortium that's more willing to play ball. Or a different city altogether.

The point is I don't think any tenderer is in a position to set terms. Not WA, not the Bears and not anyone else. Again - the NRL 100% of the power here. If the WA government wants to get this over the line, they can't just beg - they need to go to the Pharoah Vlandys and offer some kind of financial tribute.
Saint Peter...
vlandys.jpg

MugaB

Coach
I may just have a word to Bears NSW Cup Captain and Prop Kurt De Luis, he is a South Perth Lions junior and get his views on the Bears possible future move to Perth and whether he thinks the people of Perth will accept it or not. Actually watch this space.
And you find out what Justin Olam thinks about it aswell?

MugaB

Coach
How is a club taking 1 out of over a 100 games in sydney (for money, so crowd size is irrelevant) even remotely comparable to taking 1 of 12 games from an expansion team on the other side of the country?

Sydney is oversaturated when it comes to games to attend.
And what indication has any club given, especially manly, that they would work with opposition clubs to put on a game and share the gate?
Not to mention the club you want them to work with is their historical, hated rival who they actively killed.
And you think they will take a home game to an opposition stadium that is older, less capacity and with absoloutely no corporate facilities even when comparing to the shithole that is brookvale.

If sydney clubs had any foresight and were interested in actually making games an event that people wanted to go to then every game the east sydney clubs played against each other would be at the sfs with a minimum of 25k there regardless of form. Same for the west clubs but at accor.
If that carrot was brought to Manly they'd gladly host a North Sydney game vs the Bears, their fanbase is not very far away, and it would guarantee a sell out

Jamberoo

Juniors
According the the AAP article, the majority of clubs are against PNG. Do they get a say or can PVL Do whatever he wants?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You also have to remember it was V’Landys who announced it to the media in the first place, in retaliation to Cumins preferring to go it alone, V’Landys virtually telling him, “stay in your lane buddy”.
That’s your reading of it, the other way to read it is cumins comes out and says we need some direction from nrl so we can get backers on board, next day Vlandys announces Perth is firmly in their plans and by 2030.

his bears comments was in response to a question directly asked him by the Sydney journo.