What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure if this has been discussed. but announcing 18th and 19th team is a little peculiar.... I get the feeling the NRL are not certain that PNG will last very long or even get off the ground so the 19th team is there as backup. If PNG folds early then we are still left with 18 teams. It makes me think PNG is really just an obligation to the government but very much an experiment...
If you read his comments he actually says

“We’re looking at an 18th team for 2027 or 2028”

nowhere in that interview does he say png will be team 18 Which I found interesting .

MugaB

Coach
According the the AAP article, the majority of clubs are against PNG. Do they get a say or can PVL Do whatever he wants?
Article please?
Checked the AAP site, there doesn't seem to be any news about nrl or png other than a scandal of fake news between Billy later and Harry Grant telling each other off

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cummins got a nice smack down by the wa govt telling him they would support a bears bid

looks like he’s ticked off the people that matter and could probably miss out on being involved cause of his big mouth
did you miss this?

“We have met with Peter Tinley and the government on more than a dozen occasions over the last two years and they know our group well and what capacity we have,” Cumins said.

“The government doesn’t decide who the bid vehicle will be, but will work closely with whoever wins the bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Article please?
Checked the AAP site, there doesn't seem to be any news about nrl or png other than a scandal of fake news between Billy later and Harry Grant telling each other off
At the end of the Cumins interview in smh. Based on the chairman’s poll where png only got 6% of vote.

AAP has been told the PNG NRL bid is far from a fait accompli as the 18th team in 2027 or 2028 despite a $600 million package from the Federal Government over 10 years to fund it.
The majority of NRL clubs are against it and Wayne Bennett, a supporter of the Perth bid, said on Wednesday that it would be “a two or three-year project” after any decision to expand was made.

The government working group in Perth on the other hand are convinced they are “NRL-ready” now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
20 makes sense, 19 doesn't
Expansion needs to be staggered to minimise impact. It’s clear nrl are looking at
club 18 27/28
club 19 29/30
club 20 likely 32/33

that lines up with 9 games for start of 2028 tv deal
+12 extra games mid way into deal
then 10 games to sell for the 2033 tv deal

Pippen94

First Grade
At the end of the Cumins interview in smh. Based on the chairman’s poll where png only got 6% of vote.

AAP has been told the PNG NRL bid is far from a fait accompli as the 18th team in 2027 or 2028 despite a $600 million package from the Federal Government over 10 years to fund it.
The majority of NRL clubs are against it and Wayne Bennett, a supporter of the Perth bid, said on Wednesday that it would be “a two or three-year project” after any decision to expand was made.

The government working group in Perth on the other hand are convinced they are “NRL-ready” now.

What did NRL tell Cumins?! Oh wait, they don't talk to him!

Okay your entitled to your opinion but it’s funny how Bears Chairman Daniel Dickson had absolutely no idea of Peter V’Landys media statement when initially interviewed, of course he knew of talks but he hadn’t known V’Landys had gone public and I knew the day before this media release was all made public but it is all nonsense and you know better.
There seems to be an awful lot of egotistical nonsense coming out of the Bears camp as per usual. I`d be far more concerned that Daniel Dickson didn`t know and that the Perth bid seem to be doing all the running (2 dozen meetings with the W.A. Gov`t) without North Sydney being involved once.
If Cumins can show the NRL that he can raise the $30m, which he seems confident and in a wealthy state like W.A. is a pittance, I fear that will be the end of the Bears involvement, certainly on any of their terms, with the W.A. bid.

Pippen94

First Grade
There seems to be an awful lot of egotistical nonsense coming out of the Bears camp as per usual. I`d be far more concerned that Daniel Dickson didn`t know and that the Perth bid seem to be doing all the running (2 dozen meetings with the W.A. Gov`t) without North Sydney being involved once.
If Cumins can show the NRL that he can raise the $30m, which he seems confident and in a wealthy state like W.A. is a pittance, I fear that will be the end of the Bears involvement, certainly on any of their terms, with the W.A. bid.

Vlandys said he wants Perth Bears