What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Pippen94

First Grade
Turns out Cumins parents were Hull KR fans, i knew there was something I liked about him lol.

I have no doubt he will throw everything he has at this if he is certian Perth is going to happen this time. He got burnt by Grant and the Pirates and reds fiasco. Hopefully vlandys is a bit more genuine
Weren't you going to quit rugby league or something if Perth got in ahead of Brisbane Tigers?

Did the NRL announce expansion or is the protagonist out west again asking in media for the NRL to engage in discussion with him?! Because if it's the later (which it is) then you're getting unnecessarily excited - again

haha this is funny, those whove vehemently been telling us for over a year perth shouldnt get a team and wont get a team have now flipped and Perth should get a team 'if it ticks the boxes'. Dont ever change LU lol
I've always said if the business case is better than the other bids then it should get the licence. I haven't seen anything to suggest it has the best business case.
  • Lang Park is superior to PRS in every way.
  • Brisbane Tigers $135m assets.
  • Perth $0 assets.
  • Brisbane has about 20 times as many regular TV viewers than Perth.
  • Brisbane Tigers has an NRL standard high performance training centre.
  • Perth has no high performance training centre.
  • Brisbane Tigers have a catchment with a proven record of producing stars that have represented Queensland, Australia and Great Britain.
  • Perth produces a few plodders.
    Broadcasters want another team in Brisbane.

MugaB

Coach
Turns out Cumins parents were Hull KR fans, i knew there was something I liked about him lol.

I have no doubt he will throw everything he has at this if he is certian Perth is going to happen this time. He got burnt by Grant and the Pirates and reds fiasco. Hopefully vlandys is a bit more genuine
Makes perfect sense now, it's also why they told him NOT to talk to the Arlc or bears etc

MugaB

Coach
And so it begins......... Interview starts at 3:00min

Chair of the Perth consortium aiming to get an NRL team, Peter Cummins has admitted his group is very eager to get the next available licence from ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys in the next couple of months.

Talk of expansion in the NRL has ramped up over the last couple of days after reports emerged that V’Landys and his commission would start taking applicants for the next NRL licence in June.

SEN’s Michelle Bishop has recently stated her extreme confidence that the 18th license would go to a Papua New Guinea-based side, leaving other hopefuls, including Perth facing a lengthy wait for another chance.

V’landys has been very vocal in his desire to see a 20-team competition, meaning that a Perth-based bid is likely to occupy one of the licenses but the timeline on those is largely unknown.

“From our point of view, sooner rather than later,” Cummins told SEN 1170 Mornings.

“But having said that, we understand that if PNG comes in first it could 19th or 20th team and that’s going to be probably a bit further away.

“As long as we have some clear direction and we’ve got the confidence to go full steam ahead, a long leading time wouldn’t be unhelpful.

“Our preference is to go sooner rather than later.

“If there’s certainty, we can wait and that’s really been the issue for us, is the uncertainty, if we’ve got certainty we can start to build pathways for our juniors, we can start to recruit players to come into Western Australia that wants to get on to the roster for a couple years from now.

“We can start doing a lot of prep work and get ourselves in a strong position.”

When asked if his consortium would accept a return on the basis of a joint venture with either the Newtown Jets or North Sydney Bears, Cummins responded: “You’re probably aware that Western Australians are very parochial, on the basis of that we feel the best result would be a Western Australian team exclusively.”

“Having said that, because we’ve been patiently waiting for such a long time, if it was a requirement to have a coalition with the Bears or the Newtown Jets or somebody we’d look at it seriously.

“Our preference is a standalone team, but we wouldn’t discount dealing or doing something with the Bears if it was the best result for Western Australia.”

An NRL team in Perth prior to 2030 is looming as an increasingly likely outcome, ending a 30+ year hiatus of a professional rugby league team in Western Australia.
This is the same exact interview from Saturday, reframed as 5 hours ago, is there any actual "NEW" news?

Last edited:
Because many years ago when the Bears were actually in the NRL they had many QLD players play for them and actually played the majority of their last season in Qld as North Sydney Oval wasn’t booked because the Bears thought that Bluetongue Stadium was going to be completed for the 1999 season.
Former Bears QLD players include Gary Larson, Billy Moore, Tony Hearn, Peter Jackson, Ben Ikin, Jamie Goddard, Martin Bella, Gavin Jones, Brett Dallas, Ian and Brett French, Tony Rea, Les Kiss, Kerry Boustead and Terry Butler.
I remember Tony Hearn.

Didn't he headbutt a player in the 1995 Origin series?

reanimate

Bench
All of these criticisms can be levelled at Manly for the short-sighted and selfish way they favoured their side of the Northern Eagles venture. If they played their cards right then we could have a strong Northern Eagles engaging Northern Beaches, North Shore and Central Coast. An entire generation would have grown up without seeing Manly play a game in the NRL. Manly threw all of that away so they could return to their base and f**ked over two other regions.
I've said before that the merger staying together in some form would have likely been the better result in the end. Demerging probably seemed like a good idea at the time, neither side liked the branding or the identity, the on-field results were poor and there was constant bickering behind the scenes.

It was hard to tell at the time that the extent of the NRL's governance around the issue would be to let the merger dissolve, not let the Bears back in while allowing them to keep control of their district, then sit on their hands for the next 20 years and do nothing while the North Shore rots.

If that was going to be the result, they should have forced the merger to continue existing in some form, let the Bears back in somewhere as quickly as possible, or if they weren't going to let them back in, they should have stripped the Bears' district from them like they did Newtown.

Any of those options would have been better than what we got, 20 years of inaction and only now potentially letting the Bears back in. Complaining about Manly and letting the Bears back in now won't undo the last 20 years of inaction.

Centy Coast

Juniors
I've said before that the merger staying together in some form would have likely been the better result in the end. Demerging probably seemed like a good idea at the time, neither side liked the branding or the identity, the on-field results were poor and there was constant bickering behind the scenes.

It was hard to tell at the time that the extent of the NRL's governance around the issue would be to let the merger dissolve, not let the Bears back in while allowing them to keep control of their district, then sit on their hands for the next 20 years and do nothing while the North Shore rots.

If that was going to be the result, they should have forced the merger to continue existing in some form, let the Bears back in somewhere as quickly as possible, or if they weren't going to let them back in, they should have stripped the Bears' district from them like they did Newtown.

Any of those options would have been better than what we got, 20 years of inaction and only now potentially letting the Bears back in. Complaining about Manly and letting the Bears back in now won't undo the last 20 years of inaction.
I actually agree with you, well said, but I still hate Manly, I like Jake and Tom Trbojevic though lol.

Last edited:

Centy Coast

Juniors
I've always said if the business case is better than the other bids then it should get the licence. I haven't seen anything to suggest it has the best business case.
  • Lang Park is superior to PRS in every way.
  • Brisbane Tigers $135m assets.
  • Perth $0 assets.
  • Brisbane has about 20 times as many regular TV viewers than Perth.
  • Brisbane Tigers has an NRL standard high performance training centre.
  • Perth has no high performance training centre.
  • Brisbane Tigers have a catchment with a proven record of producing stars that have represented Queensland, Australia and Great Britain.
  • Perth produces a few plodders.
    Broadcasters want another team in Brisbane.
The Brisbane Tigers are very impressive for a QLD Cup side that’s for sure.

Latest posts