What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
I've said before that the merger staying together in some form would have likely been the better result in the end. Demerging probably seemed like a good idea at the time, neither side liked the branding or the identity, the on-field results were poor and there was constant bickering behind the scenes.

It was hard to tell at the time that the extent of the NRL's governance around the issue would be to let the merger dissolve, not let the Bears back in while allowing them to keep control of their district, then sit on their hands for the next 20 years and do nothing while the North Shore rots.

If that was going to be the result, they should have forced the merger to continue existing in some form, let the Bears back in somewhere as quickly as possible, or if they weren't going to let them back in, they should have stripped the Bears' district from them like they did Newtown.

Any of those options would have been better than what we got, 20 years of inaction and only now potentially letting the Bears back in. Complaining about Manly and letting the Bears back in now won't undo the last 20 years of inaction.
Nobody likes you manly warringah!!!
Screenshot_20170604-160040.jpg

reanimate

Bench
Because many years ago when the Bears were actually in the NRL they had many QLD players play for them and actually played the majority of their last season in Qld as North Sydney Oval wasn’t booked because the Bears thought that Bluetongue Stadium was going to be completed for the 1999 season.
Former Bears QLD players include Gary Larson, Billy Moore, Tony Hearn, Peter Jackson, Ben Ikin, Jamie Goddard, Martin Bella, Gavin Jones, Brett Dallas, Ian and Brett French, Tony Rea, Les Kiss, Kerry Boustead and Terry Butler.
Other than a home game vs Cowboys at Suncorp and an away game vs Cowboys in Townsville, what other games did they play in QLD in their last season?

Centy Coast

Juniors
Other than a home game vs Cowboys at Suncorp and an away game vs Cowboys in Townsville, what other games did they play in QLD in their last season?
I’ll have to look it up, it was to long ago, I know that the Bears were hinging at their bets on Bluetongue Stadium being completed, but a mistake with the Stadiums ceiling materials and constant bad weather derailed those plans.
The Bears couldn’t play at North Sydney Oval as Norths Rugby had booked the Oval.

Vlad59

Juniors
I’ll have to look it up, it was to long ago, I know that the Bears were hinging at their bets on Bluetongue Stadium being completed, but a mistake with the Stadiums ceiling materials and constant bad weather derailed those plans.
The Bears couldn’t play at North Sydney Oval as Norths Rugby had booked the Oval.
I have a vague memory of this. Lang Park attendance 3382. Just checking game and year.

1999 v Cowboys

reanimate

Bench
They played at Parra at some point that year as a home game as well. Bears vs Manly was definitely at NSO in ‘99.

Centy Coast

Juniors
People forget norths lost a very close prelim final against the eventual premiers Penrith

Halligan missed some conversions that wouldve got the win

the early 90s they were a very strong side
Newcastle also beat us to advance to the GF against Manly when Darren Albert ran down Matt Seers from behind when he was in the clear and away back in ‘97.
Heart breaking moments but the Bears were well known to always find a way to lose the tight contests.
It was like the reserve grade Grand Final in 2007 against Parramatta when the Eels were awarded a try on the 7th tackle to win 20-15 lol.
And last years NSW Cup GF when Souths winger Tyrone Munro crossed in the corner with less than a minute remaining to win 22-18 after getting a penalty from a crusher tackle where the Souths player reversed into the defence and grabbed his neck without even being squashed down on lol.

Last edited: