What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Bukowski

Juniors
Exactly only last couple of years - only took 20-22 years to do so. Geez Warriors have only just introduced HM and SG Ball sides last 2 years. Let that sink in for a minute.

But you’re right Perth will be set up from day 1 with Bears there. No chance of setting up these grades or programs without them. So here we are back at the resources argument which I keep banging on about.

Phins had all their established foundation built off 90 previous years. Titans had a neglected rugby league heartland and 2 Q Cup clubs directly in their catchment. New Zealand had a whole nation. Storm has some of the best recruiters and a considerable amount of success. Their first junior grade teams came to fruition in 2019.

I’m not sure how Perth which doesn’t have any of the positives each of the 4 have - suddenly come out guns blazing without pre existing assistance

Hence, Bears. There’s your resources - financial sustainability for the long term and rugby league crop for both immediate and long term.

Conversation wise we are right back where we were a week ago.
Except the Perth bid said they don't want norths and Vlandys said they're not a requirement.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exactly only last couple of years - only took 20-22 years to do so. Geez Warriors have only just introduced HM and SG Ball sides last 2 years. Let that sink in for a minute.

But you’re right Perth will be set up from day 1 with Bears there. No chance of setting up these grades or programs without them. So here we are back at the resources argument which I keep banging on about.

Phins had all their established foundation built off 90 previous years. Titans had a neglected rugby league heartland and 2 Q Cup clubs directly in their catchment. New Zealand had a whole nation. Storm has some of the best recruiters and a considerable amount of success. Their first junior grade teams came to fruition in 2019.

I’m not sure how Perth which doesn’t have any of the positives each of the 4 have - suddenly come out guns blazing without pre existing assistance

Hence, Bears. There’s your resources - financial sustainability for the long term and rugby league crop for both immediate and long term.

hah, of course there is. We will have a 5-6 year lead in by sound of it. That's plenty of time to get all the grades set up in Perth. Add in a partner on the East coast with established systems, any partner, and bingo.

Reality is yr1-5 first team squad will be existing NRL and SL pros. ala Dolphins.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's Bears licence. Could take it to Adelaide if Perth people are too parochial.
Of course it is lol.

From the horses mouth
Their bid (Perth) is looking very, very good and maybe PNG isn't the one that is first.
Linking with Bears or Jets isnt a condition at this stage

Iamback

Coach
Is that different for the warriors or Melbourne.

Warriors have struggled in the past hopefully their new pathways get that.

Storm have never ran their own 2nd tier team though. So Perth will go against the grain IF they run a local one

It is now Round 11. Storm can use any player in 2nd tier for them now.

Central Capras
East Coast Tigers
Bears.
Storm Jersey Flegg team

Those sides have teams underneath that feed into them but even if only 4 or 5 in those sides are NRL standard

That gives them 20 players outside of their 36 to use. That isn the sort of depth teams need

Bukowski

Juniors
Warriors have struggled in the past hopefully their new pathways get that.

Storm have never ran their own 2nd tier team though. So Perth will go against the grain IF they run a local one

It is now Round 11. Storm can use any player in 2nd tier for them now.

Central Capras
East Coast Tigers
Bears.
Storm Jersey Flegg team

Those sides have teams underneath that feed into them but even if only 4 or 5 in those sides are NRL standard

That gives them 20 players outside of their 36 to use. That isn the sort of depth teams need
That's right. So Perth needs a feeder club/s at least at the beginning. They'll sort that without a merger

The main thing is players relocation. Will players from the East coast be willing to move to perth to play in NSw cup team? Im guessing players move from other parts of NZ to play for Warriors?
Ok yea player relocation is one I hadn't considered.

I think we've got a few Cup lads from outside Auckland but regardless, I dont think coming up here from Welly or even ChCh is all that big a deal, especially for anyone with first grade ambitions. Quick flight back home if they ever needed to.

Iamback

Coach
Ok yea player relocation is one I hadn't considered.

I think we've got a few Cup lads from outside Auckland but regardless, I dont think coming up here from Welly or even ChCh is all that big a deal, especially for anyone with first grade ambitions. Quick flight back home if they ever needed to.

That works for the odd game but you aren't going to fly them up to games without training. Well to keep the team competitive especially.

You guys have Flegg and Ball now to bring players from now

Centy Coast

Juniors
If the Perth bid is strong enough to stand alone then bring in the Pirates and fast track Bears into Adelaide where there is no backing. You could then have Perth, Adelaide and Christchurch in the comp within ten years. Now that would be a legacy for Vlandys to leave behind. A national comp with a strong NZ.
Everytime Perth is mentioned to V’Landys he brings up the Bears, forget Adelaide. Adelaide has not even been mentioned, it is not even on the radar, just like the Pirates.

Last edited:

Centy Coast

Juniors

Perths five team fifo competition is going to support it, imagine a NSW Cup team representing Perth with players from WA but some of the squad pull out some weeks due to work commitments, no Coach at that level will put up with that lol.

Centy Coast

Juniors
hah, of course there is. We will have a 5-6 year lead in by sound of it. That's plenty of time to get all the grades set up in Perth. Add in a partner on the East coast with established systems, any partner, and bingo.

Reality is yr1-5 first team squad will be existing NRL and SL pros. ala Dolphins.
A partner from the East Coast, you already have that, the red and black Bears as V’Landys keep mentioning.
All the other teams with Harold Matt’s, S.G.Ball and Jersey Flegg teams have NRL senior sides.