What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

nqcowboy87

Bench
:?

Why would they put an old sponsor on a current playing strip?

What team has ever played in a heritage jersey without their current sponsor on it?

For what it's worth, I think they've got it bang on, apart from the collar:

30_BradFittler2003GrandFinalJersey.jpg

i didnt mean they should seek out western union as a major sponsor for the heritage match (i think western union may have folded during the gfc) but it doesn t look like it to me without the western union logo and the collars but its a faithful represntation of it

zombie jesus

Staff member
I don't know what the f**k happened to the white jersey with maroon hoops that was floating around, away jersey is the same design as the last couple of years.

See the jerseys here.

I really hope the sponsors are incorporated better than that, those look like dodgy iron on transfers.

Essentially we have no main sponsor, we have the two owners on our jerseys, f**king embarrassing. NSW Cup side sponsored by Manly Leagues.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They're actually last years jerseys Zombie, they've got the old ISC logos on them.

The ones they'll wear in Round 1 will be the new design away jerseys with the hoops and Quantum Solar Power patch on the front.

zombie jesus

Staff member
That's good to hear, question is then why when we are so close to the season the club can't have the proper jersey designs on show for this "grand" announcement?

They're actually last years jerseys Zombie, they've got the old ISC logos on them.

The ones they'll wear in Round 1 will be the new design away jerseys with the hoops and Quantum Solar Power patch on the front.

I bloody hope so the look like the old Iron on transfers

applesauce

Bench
I don't see why Manly can't make the box wider and take it around to the side panels. The 2 maroon rectangles that are created either side of the sponsor look bloody average and highlight the sh*t logo incorporation.

Goddo

Bench
I really hope the "Telstra Premiership" NRL logo is dropped in the new TV deal, and we revert to a simple NRL logo, but altered in colour for each team (eg, Blue instead of green and yellow edging for Parramatta).

Pretty crappy having advertising on the games logo on every jersey.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Really?

Sponsorship to me is a sign of strength and it's been a part of the game for years and years. If Telstra are injecting dollars into the competition I'm more than happy for them to have their logo on the jersey. Better IMO than a comp like the Cricket T20 domestic where the same sponsor is front and centre on every jersey.

Also, not exactly what the TP logo would have to do with a new TV deal, although it is correct to say that Telstra's six year deal concludes at the end of 2012 and sponsorship rights are up for grabs. Would be a seperate deal.

Saint Doc

Coach
I really hope the "Telstra Premiership" NRL logo is dropped in the new TV deal, and we revert to a simple NRL logo, but altered in colour for each team (eg, Blue instead of green and yellow edging for Parramatta).

Pretty crappy having advertising on the games logo on every jersey.

Wishful thinking. Companies don't give stuff like that up.

The Manly jerseys are a monumental stuff up in my eyes. The jerseys themselves look fine, but not being able to secure a major sponsor the entire off season - f*ck me! It's common knowledge to anyone remotely close to the club that Quantum and Penn were only going to go 50/50 if another major sponsor couldn't be secured. Shame to say the least.

Goddo

Bench
Really?

Sponsorship to me is a sign of strength and it's been a part of the game for years and years. If Telstra are injecting dollars into the competition I'm more than happy for them to have their logo on the jersey. Better IMO than a comp like the Cricket T20 domestic where the same sponsor is front and centre on every jersey.

Also, not exactly what the TP logo would have to do with a new TV deal, although it is correct to say that Telstra's six year deal concludes at the end of 2012 and sponsorship rights are up for grabs. Would be a seperate deal.

Telstra's sponsorship is directly tied to the media deal, and in particular its internet rights. At the very least there should be a dollar figure tied to every little bit of advertising they get. We gave too much away for free with the last sponsorship/media deal, for small gain.

What other sport in the world has their league/game logo defaced with an advertisment? I can't think of one.

Its not a sign of strength, its one of weakness - the NRL has to prostitute itself to Telstra. A sign of a strong league is minimal advertising for top $$$. Think NBA, NFL, Premier League.... I hate to say it, but the AFL are ahead of us here.