What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 R3 Fri - Sydney 48-6 South Sydney @ Allianz

Round 3: Sydney v South Sydney

• Sydney Roosters

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yobbo84

First Grade
Everyone add Jared getting sent off in his 300th game to their bingo card
I've got a feeling Jack Wighton might come out a little too eager to make an impact and do something silly.

Last time I had this feeling I called Latrell doing something stupid in the lead-up to match where he broke Manu's face

skeepe

Immortal
Sillier than what he did in his last match for the Raiders? Although to be fair, I still maintain that Jack was innocent. Gamble shoved his arm into Jack's mouth FFS.

In case somebody doesn’t get the rivalry, it starts at a very early age. Sums up every Easts/Souths fan

His parents made him wear a Rabbitohs jersey – and he hated it. Now he’s a Roosters star​

By Christian Nicolussi

March 19, 2024 — 3.46pm

The pain on the face of a three-year-old Sam Walker being forced to wear a South Sydney jersey is real.
Only diehard Souths fans would have noticed this team photo of a young, blond Walker standing in front of his dad Ben, and next to his younger brother, Jackson, after the 2006 Charity Shield.
But Sam hated Souths from a young age, and even made a point of supporting their bitter rivals the Roosters just to upset the family.
On Friday night, Sam will shoulder playmaking duties for the Roosters against the Rabbitohs, with regular halves partner Luke Keary missing due to concussion protocols.

Sam’s father Ben spent two seasons at Souths, along with his uncle, Shane Walker, who appears in the same photo.
Shane told this masthead there were two reasons Sam switched his football allegiances: to “buck the family trend”, and because he couldn’t bear to watch films starring Souths owner Russell Crowe.

“Sam hated the Rabbits, only because he was such an oppositional child – everything his dad wanted, he wanted the opposite,” Shane said. “He was so defiant. Nothing has changed. He’s still an awful animal.

“Katie, my wife, bought him and Jackson those jerseys in the photo. It had ‘Walker’ on the back and No.7. It was always hard to get him into that Souths Jersey.

“We made him watch Russell Crowe in Master And Commander one night, and that was the real breaking point. He never wanted to wear a Souths jersey again. That movie was just too much for him.”
When Sam was presented with his jersey before making his NRL debut for the Roosters, Ben told those in the room about the night Sam burst into tears watching a tight derby loss. He rarely showed emotion, but seeing Souths score two tries in the final two minutes to snatch victory in 2012 was too much.
“Adam Reynolds scored the winner,” said Shane, who was at the family home in Ipswich that night. “The whole family turned on Sam. He stormed upstairs, slammed his door, and went to bed in tears. It’s one of the few times we’ve seen him cry.
“When he went to bed, he made a point of turning the Roosters’ team poster back to front so the players faced the wall.”

The Walkers loved the heated battles against the Roosters, including a vicious 17-16 win in round 24, 2005 which featured Ben kicking the winning field goal.
“Ben took it upon himself that night to rip into the Roosters – his first tackle of the game was somewhere between Joel Monaghan’s chin and eyeballs, and it set the tone for the night,” Shane said.
The Walkers will be at Allianz Stadium for the round-three derby, and will be there to support Sam. The 21-year-old has had several running battleswith his Souths namesake, Cody Walker, in recent matches.

“We love rugby league, and what jersey he wears is irrelevant – I’m rooting for Sam as a nephew and bloke and a player more than any jersey,” Shane said.

borisdog

Juniors
Its expensive no doubt but with crowds at record numbers and demand is high atm clubs are going to inflate the prices.

Most games in Sydney are sellouts atm. So prices aren't turning people away.
Given that most games in Sydney are "sellouts" at the moment there seems to be a large amount of people forgetting that they've bought a ticket and not turning up, given what I've seen on TV this season so far.

Given that most games in Sydney are "sellouts" at the moment there seems to be a large amount of people forgetting that they've bought a ticket and not turning up, given what I've seen on TV this season so far.
Probably stadium members being merkins. You’re also going to see a number of empty seats on the southern end of Allianz where bronze members are placed tomorrow night. That’s because a number of those members refuse to sit there and in stead stand along the concourse. I’ll give you a wave from around the 30m line east/south end.

OVP

Coach
Will I outlive Politis though? I mean he's 40+ years older than me but still... I don't see any major collapse from your joint until that happens.

Smashing you a few years in a row was fun though, even if the games were meaningless.

But yes, I don't think anyone outside of our two clubs really understands it. Even those "the loser wears the other team's jersey for a day!" bets some guys do as a laugh... I'd rather stick my todger in a vat of acid than put on any Roosters merchandise for even a second.

I don't like your club, I never will like your club, and I hope you lose every game by 50 and come last every single year. And I bet you feel the same.
i don't hate your club. I respect our rivalry too much. It's the best rivalry and longest in the game. That alone deserves respect. Hate is cheap imo, anyone can do it.

Reflector

Juniors
Will I outlive Politis though? I mean he's 40+ years older than me but still... I don't see any major collapse from your joint until that happens.

Smashing you a few years in a row was fun though, even if the games were meaningless.

But yes, I don't think anyone outside of our two clubs really understands it. Even those "the loser wears the other team's jersey for a day!" bets some guys do as a laugh... I'd rather stick my todger in a vat of acid than put on any Roosters merchandise for even a second.

I don't like your club, I never will like your club, and I hope you lose every game by 50 and come last every single year. And I bet you feel the same.
I know a guy who said he'd rather shit in his hand and clap than support Souths

I can see Broncos v Dolphins going the same way in terms of the mutual loathing. Give it 5 years or so and especially a finals meeting to ramp it up. You have people like @beave who've hated the Broncos since day 1, and likewise I've noticed more animosity in general the other way towards the Cowboys over the past decade. But the Broncos - Cowboys "derby" still feels like a friendly rivalry between cousins. Broncos v Dolphins has the potential for much more edge because of Redcliffe's history and the battle for the hearts and minds of the same city...and I can't wait for it...

Bazal

Post Whore
Another entry in the Book of Foodz and the most over hyped 'rivalry' in the game.

Roosters should win, but Latrell is probably gonna decapitate someone and only get reported and fined, so that could change the result.

yobbo84

First Grade
I doubt anyone else here is watching reserve grade, but if you are - Jye Gray. Star.