What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test - Australia v New Zealand Hobart Dec 9 - Dec 13 2011

No, the role of the number 3 is to be prepared to come in early and play as an opener or come in after a solid opening stand and play the game as the situation dictates. ATM khawaja is being asked to come in early at almost every point. He is not ready for that but is ready for test cricket lower down the order. The situation as it stands right now in the Australian team is that the 3 most experienced batsmen in the side are batting where they wish to, which just happens to be 4,5,6 leaving the younger players to be scapegoats for poor team performances.

If he can't handle opener then it's back to 6 he goes

The excuses for Khawaja are unbelievable

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Khawaja is a 20 odd merchant who likes to nick off once getting to the double figures milestone. At least he isn't Chris Martins bitch like Hughes the other future Australia star.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Well Ryder has 3 test centuries including a double and averages 40 and Williamson also has a test century while Khawaja has squat.

How many did the pie eater score against Australia? Kane Williamson was the invisible man this series, did he even play?

Khawaja is a 20 odd merchant who likes to nick off once getting to the double figures milestone. At least he isn't Chris Martins bitch like Hughes the other future Australia star.

I like Khawaja but part of me feels that he will never become a world class batsman.

Great FC player, but I don't think he will ever make the transition to Internationals successful.

typicalfan

Coach
I think Hughes and Ponting should pack their bags if Watson and Marsh are fit.

Watson to opener, Marsh to 3 and Hussey to 4. Usman to 6. Personally I think Usman needs a bit of ODI experience, he has the talent but he needs to know when to attack as well, seems to stodgy about keeping his wicket intact when sometimes a good offense is the best defense.

yappy

Bench
Ok, from the fair dinkum dept:

The Kiwis pace quartet has the tools to take wickets when there's a bit of swing. Not so convinced they'd pose that many questions under bright blue skies on a dusty pitch. Could be an offer to the Bellerive groundsman from Cricket NZ on it's way.

Pattinson is a great find. Can swing it when it's available, but has pace and bounce to pose questions on harder decks. Starc is three years away from test quality at least, and Siddle again shows what he can do if he bowls full. Not having Johnson in the side helps his cause. Hoping Dougeh or Hazelwood comes in for Starc in Melbourne.

I've been Hughes' biggest defender, but he's failed - back to NSW.

Watson comes back into the side, but the idea of him opening still doesn't fill me with confidence. I doubt he would have gone any better than Hughes in these swinging conditions. He'd be knicking off just as often. His bowling though in these conditions probably would have won us the game. Whereas the kiwis had four bowlers pitching up and letting the ball swing meaning we never had easy runs on offer, Starc was consistently too short and Siddle and Pattinson had spells that were too short also. Watson would have bowled beautifully here and the slips would have been right in the game. I still think 4 is a better spot for him.

Like Watson I don't think you can assume Marsh would have gone any good in this series either. I also don't rate him because of his constant injuries. A summer without a Shaun Marsh injury would be like a summer without Santa. That said he'll probably get a go against the Indians, but I'm not thinking he's our solution to No.3 yet.

Khawaja is a tease at this stage. Looks so solid, but then gets out. Marsh will probably take his spot which is a shame, but he'll remain next in line unlike Hughes who will drop off the pace for some time.

I've said that if Ed Cowan ever plays test cricket, we're in big trouble. Well, we're in big trouble. To Ed's credit he has lifted his average quite a lot and it's just on the cusp of breaking 40 which I reckon is about the bottom limit of genuine test contenders. He has that other great quality for a guy you're looking to give a debut to - he's in career best form. If he makes a score in the two day game (assuming he plays) then I'd have no problem giving him a shot against India.

On Warner, well I'm glad at least one guy I had high hopes for has delivered. Today was what he's been delivering for NSW since he got his chance to open. He's not a basher or a slogger (but he can be when required), he's a batsman with a well constructed technique, the ability to score around the ground, the ability to turn over the strike and the ability to survive when conditions are favouring the bowlers. He'll have a lean patch some time, and probably get dropped like every other batsman, but Warner is going to score a big pile of Test runs at a high average and great s/r. Super fielder too. Another piece of the puzzle falling into place.

I said Ponting should have gone in SA, but the injuries justified his retention. If the injuries are over then the excuse is gone. He should (but won't) be dropped. He's going no better than Hughes and at 37 his glory days are a long way in the past. It's not enough to say 'who would you replace him with?'. The answer is you can't know if a guy is good enough until he gets a go. Even last week plenty of (admittedly not very good) judges were questioning Warner in the side. You've got to give guys a go and see who succeeds. By chucking them in we've recently uncovered Lyon, Cummins, Pattinson, Marsh and Warner who have put real test quality performances on the board. Cutting Ponting gives you the spot to move Watson down the order and give Cowan a go, or give Uzi a few more games. Whatever the result we need to move on from Ponting and we can't do that whilst we're still saying 'but he's working so hard in the nets'. Hussey needs runs against India or he falls into the same boat.

Lastly Lyon. I still think O'Keefe should have got a go first, and believe he would have given as much, but you can't fault the guy. Lovely shape and constantly improving as a cricketer. Showing enough courage with the bat to think he might work his way up to 9 eventually, or at least a solid 10. Quietly confident he can do a job for us even against the Indians.

I'm the one advocating for him to back to 6 ffs. Put him at 6 to find his way then if he succeeds back to 3. If he fails there goodbye. Would you like a f**king diagram next time?

:?

I didn't say otherwise you moron merkin.

He's in the team as a first drop, if he can't handle it then he spends his career at 6.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
How many did the pie eater score against Australia? Kane Williamson was the invisible man this series, did he even play?

At least they both scored more than Hughes:lol:, and Williamson is 3 years younger than Khawaja as well. Plus once again, also has a test century and 3 50's and Khawaja has what? One half century? Not saying he is a bad player neccaserily, was in response to someone bagging Williamson and Ryder. Williamson has the goods.

typicalfan

Coach
:?

I didn't say otherwise you moron merkin.

He's in the team as a first drop, if he can't handle it then he spends his career at 6.
I agree but it depends on why he is struggling, if it is confidence or he needs a little less pressure for the moment 6 would suit, as it did with Ponting. 3 is a key spot, your best batsmen are usually 3 or 4. Khawaja isn't our best batsman...yet. Could be down the track. I think he is going a little better than Ponting.

lockyno1

Post Whore
At least they both scored more than Hughes:lol:, and Williamson is 3 years younger than Khawaja as well. Plus once again, also has a test century and 3 50's and Khawaja has what? One half century? Not saying he is a bad player neccaserily, was in response to someone bagging Williamson and Ryder. Williamson has the goods.

Bangladesh does not count and neither does the Zimbots. Williamson is not a no3 though, NZ need to find one.

Red Bear

Referee
I like Khawaja but part of me feels that he will never become a world class batsman.

Great FC player, but I don't think he will ever make the transition to Internationals successful.
He's 24 for f**ks sake! At what point have we decided writing off 22-24 year olds is a sensible way to go forwards. We'd never have had Langer, Hayden, Steve Waugh, McGrath and others if this had been the case. Even Ponting was dropped in his career

He's got stuff to work on but he has an enormous potential to be along term quality player. Likewise Hughes, for all his faults, has a tremendous first class record and could easily be a good player in the future (just not now).

Almost every great we've had has struggled in their initial stages, because Test Cricket is an enormous step, panicking and chopping and changing willy nilly is not the way to overcome these concerns.

shiznit

Coach
Bangladesh does not count and neither does the Zimbots. Williamson is not a no3 though, NZ need to find one.
hmmm... Williamson has a century and a fifty against India in India...

Ryder has 3 centuries and 2 fifties against India. including 201.