What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Ashes Test: Australia v England at Perth, Dec 14-18 2017

Eelectrica

Referee
I don't see the headbutt thing as being so bad. A minor incident that they were able to use to get in his head a bit. Reminding someone they're having a bad trot to increase the pressure a bit is fine, but can also back fire if they get a couple of loose balls and gain a bit of confidence and momentum.

Mindless abuse calling someone names or attacking the family is not on, and probably doesn't do much good anyway other than making the name caller look like a bloody idiot themselves.

With the stump mics we're invading the players spacet, and that's something the media should respect. It's up to the media to leave what's said on the field. Of course most of the media doesn't care about that, they're just after the clicks and don't care who or what is damaged in the process.

JJ

Immortal
McGrath was pretty notorious for saying dumb stuff and then being owned - the cookies and Sarwan come to mind - and the sanctimonious shit about families is lame, the Australians have always gone there from hearsay (and with the "what goes on on the field..." crap that's all we have). He did his best mental disintegration work through the media, and unlike Handscombe he could back it up as one of the finest bowlers that ever played the game

Witty stuff is good, mindless abuse is a pain in the arse, and the "head butt" shit deliberately done near a mic to get media interest is pretty lame imo

Just always involves Australia - which is sad IMO - other teams either confront it, or ignore it (few have managed that).

Hilarious though - Aussies claimed it worked on Bairstow - now Poms saying it worked on Smith - Smith saying 'no I was more focused" - well Stevie, I don't believe it worked on Bairstow or you, but I'd be pretty happy with your performance in the last test if I was a Pom, so I imagine Jimmy and Stewie are lining up for more

Bazal

Post Whore
McGrath was pretty notorious for saying dumb stuff and then being owned - the cookies and Sarwan come to mind - and the sanctimonious shit about families is lame, the Australians have always gone there from hearsay (and with the "what goes on on the field..." crap that's all we have). He did his best mental disintegration work through the media, and unlike Handscombe he could back it up as one of the finest bowlers that ever played the game

Witty stuff is good, mindless abuse is a pain in the arse, and the "head butt" shit deliberately done near a mic to get media interest is pretty lame imo

Just always involves Australia - which is sad IMO - other teams either confront it, or ignore it (few have managed that).

Hilarious though - Aussies claimed it worked on Bairstow - now Poms saying it worked on Smith - Smith saying 'no I was more focused" - well Stevie, I don't believe it worked on Bairstow or you, but I'd be pretty happy with your performance in the last test if I was a Pom, so I imagine Jimmy and Stewie are lining up for more

Sanctimonious? I was talking about what I believe as a player. I've never played for Australia....

Anyway I think the bit about it always involving Australia is deliberately disingenuous. Just this week we've had the explosion out of India spurred on by the smog stuff with Kohli and a few other Indian players going absolutely non stop at the Sri Lankans on and off the field....

I think the difference is the media. Ours and select others seem to report everything that's said, hearsay or otherwise. In India its just left alone. Unless someone sledges them of course.

Eelectrica

Referee
I don't believe. India are absolute angels on the field and would never sledge anyone. It's only the evil Aussies who would do such things.
I'm going to volunteer to clean the Indians halo's next tour. It will be an honour to help such perfect people out.
Kholi really should have won the Time Person of the year award, but being the perfect gentleman he is, would have humbly given it away to someone the great one felt more deserving.

simmo1

First Grade
Obviously there wasn't enough seldging in Australia's first innings to let them get 440.

It doesn't work. For every time a fielding team claims their sledging or 'chat' led to a batsmen getting out, you can probably find several examples where it didn't work and the player scored runs.

Just an excuse for players to try and act tough.

2 weeks

Coach
https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...s/news-story/f6344163531e0050b677b51fbcbacb1e

Jason Gillespie recalls the day Shane Warne trapped himself in one of Australian cricket’s all-time pranks
CRICKET

• December 9, 2017 1:13pm
  • by STAFF WRITERS
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
AUSTRALIAN fast bowling great Jason Gillespie has lifted the lid on a long-running prank that took down the greatest of them all, Shane Warne.
It’s a tale that cuts to the core of the old-school traits of an Australian dressing room, Warne’s stubbornness and the cheeky teammates that kept history’s greatest legspinner grounded.

It was the summer of 2002, Australia were hosting England in an anticipated Ashes contest and had heard whispers some members of the Brisbane Lions’ premiership-winning AFL squad would join them in the dressing room after play.

Warne, a giant St Kilda fan and lover of all things AFL, was more excited than most to be in the presence of some Aussie Rules royalty.

And so, after spending a long day toiling in the field, Warne raced back to the dressing rooms.

This was unusual, Gillespie revealed on Damien Fleming’s Bowlology Report in a recent episode, because Warne would normally be among the last to leave the field.

It was, after all, his arena and he typically would soak up every moment while out in the centre.

But on this occasion, the Australian team filtered into the dressing room and were immediately drawn to Warne’s corner: Where he sat, sans playing gear, with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

He was a picture-perfect image of the old-school Aussie cricketer: “Old school. Ice pack on the knee. Dart hanging out of the gob,” notes Gillespie.

But it just wasn’t Warney — he was more of a West Coast Cooler kind of guy, Fleming chimed in.

Sure enough, it quickly made sense. The AFL players had arrived and Warne is holding court and revelling in his role as the ultimate old-school cricketer, much to the amusement of teammates who were quietly remarking that the all-time great was “not a noted beer drinker”.

But nobody dared question the King — a moniker Warne gave to himself, Gillespie insists.

No one, until Warne’s partner-in-crime and fast bowling legend Glenn McGrath arrived having completed some media duties.

“(McGrath is) one of the guys — a bit like Mark Waugh — who would say what everyone else is thinking. Straight down the line,” Gillespie explains.

“Big Pidge (McGrath) walks in, takes a glance, has a second look ... and he’s very particular Pidge ... he takes his Baggy Green off, puts it on the hook and he’s just sitting down, unlacing his boots...”

Until he can’t take it anymore.

“Warney, what is going on here?” he inquires.

“What Pidge? What?” exclaims a ‘wide-eyed’ Warne.

“What are you doing drinking a beer? Warney, I’ve played Test cricket with you for 10 years and I’ve never seen you drink a beer,” McGrath continues.

And then came the line Gillespie claims is now etched in Australian dressing room folklore.

“Pidge, I always have a beer on a bowling day.”

Stunned — and holding back laughter — Warne’s more mischievous teammates saw an instant opportunity to take the mickey.

If Warne says he likes a beer on a bowling day, then that’s exactly what he’ll get.

Along with wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist and now Australia coach Darren Lehmann, Gillespie made a pact.

“We made a pact that one of us after each day’s play when we’re out on the field, one of us will hightail it off the ground, race in, open an ice-cold frosty beer and lovingly place it on the King’s gear, near his androtops and just let him enjoy that,” Gillespie explained.

“He’s a stubborn man. He’s a very proud man and there were a few teapots — hands on the hips — but to his credit for those first four Test matches, he wouldn’t let anyone in.

“He’s sitting down and that beer is going down like absolute razorblades. Everyone — all the players, support staff — everyone’s in on the joke.”

Warne struggled through his daily frothy through the first four Tests — but was becoming increasingly grumpy with the situation.

Up until Sydney, when he finally cracked after a particularly fruitless day in the field.

He wanted a shower and a smoke. But the last thing on his agenda was a cold beer.

“Who the hell is doing this? Who keeps leaving this bloody beer on my spot?” Warne roared as he fired accusatory stares around the dressing room.

“He was a bit upset the great man. Then he realised that everyone — to a man in the dressing room — was in on it and everyone burst out laughing,” Gillespie said.

“We won that little battle. He conceded. He’s looking around the room, searching for the culprits and then he sees three sniggering idiots in the corner — Messrs Gillespie, Gilchrist and Lehmann — and he knew.

“To this day he’s been a bit grumpy with his old mate Dizz.”

Hutty1986

Immortal

Do you think your kiwi cricketing brethren could give the aussies some advice on how to be good blokes?

JJ

Immortal
Sanctimonious? I was talking about what I believe as a player. I've never played for Australia....

Anyway I think the bit about it always involving Australia is deliberately disingenuous. Just this week we've had the explosion out of India spurred on by the smog stuff with Kohli and a few other Indian players going absolutely non stop at the Sri Lankans on and off the field....

I think the difference is the media. Ours and select others seem to report everything that's said, hearsay or otherwise. In India its just left alone. Unless someone sledges them of course.

Ok, I worded it poorly - Australia are the worst, no mistake, India ATM next... I didn't mean to suggest Australia were the only ones doing it, nor that nobody else did - just that things are invariably more unsavoury when Australia is involved - talk or war and hate is flat out stupid

As for NZ being good blokes, I am a bit over that - we've been shit sledgers at times too, not so much at the moment - just the decision of this group.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Ok, I worded it poorly - Australia are the worst, no mistake, India ATM next... I didn't mean to suggest Australia were the only ones doing it, nor that nobody else did - just that things are invariably more unsavoury when Australia is involved - talk or war and hate is flat out stupid

As for NZ being good blokes, I am a bit over that - we've been shit sledgers at times too, not so much at the moment - just the decision of this group.

Forgotten the Harhbajan Monkey fiasco have we.

No, India are bigger merkins.

Heck they even fight with each other.

JJ

Immortal
Forgotten the Harhbajan Monkey fiasco have we.

No, India are bigger merkins.

Heck they even fight with each other.

Whether Australia or India are bigger merkins in cricket really could take forever to debate - but India don't have problems with everyone they play, Australia seem to

Meapro Ham

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...s/news-story/f6344163531e0050b677b51fbcbacb1e

Jason Gillespie recalls the day Shane Warne trapped himself in one of Australian cricket’s all-time pranks
CRICKET

• December 9, 2017 1:13pm
  • by STAFF WRITERS
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
AUSTRALIAN fast bowling great Jason Gillespie has lifted the lid on a long-running prank that took down the greatest of them all, Shane Warne.
It’s a tale that cuts to the core of the old-school traits of an Australian dressing room, Warne’s stubbornness and the cheeky teammates that kept history’s greatest legspinner grounded.

It was the summer of 2002, Australia were hosting England in an anticipated Ashes contest and had heard whispers some members of the Brisbane Lions’ premiership-winning AFL squad would join them in the dressing room after play.

Warne, a giant St Kilda fan and lover of all things AFL, was more excited than most to be in the presence of some Aussie Rules royalty.

And so, after spending a long day toiling in the field, Warne raced back to the dressing rooms.

This was unusual, Gillespie revealed on Damien Fleming’s Bowlology Report in a recent episode, because Warne would normally be among the last to leave the field.

It was, after all, his arena and he typically would soak up every moment while out in the centre.

But on this occasion, the Australian team filtered into the dressing room and were immediately drawn to Warne’s corner: Where he sat, sans playing gear, with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

He was a picture-perfect image of the old-school Aussie cricketer: “Old school. Ice pack on the knee. Dart hanging out of the gob,” notes Gillespie.

But it just wasn’t Warney — he was more of a West Coast Cooler kind of guy, Fleming chimed in.

Sure enough, it quickly made sense. The AFL players had arrived and Warne is holding court and revelling in his role as the ultimate old-school cricketer, much to the amusement of teammates who were quietly remarking that the all-time great was “not a noted beer drinker”.

But nobody dared question the King — a moniker Warne gave to himself, Gillespie insists.

No one, until Warne’s partner-in-crime and fast bowling legend Glenn McGrath arrived having completed some media duties.

“(McGrath is) one of the guys — a bit like Mark Waugh — who would say what everyone else is thinking. Straight down the line,” Gillespie explains.

“Big Pidge (McGrath) walks in, takes a glance, has a second look ... and he’s very particular Pidge ... he takes his Baggy Green off, puts it on the hook and he’s just sitting down, unlacing his boots...”

Until he can’t take it anymore.

“Warney, what is going on here?” he inquires.

“What Pidge? What?” exclaims a ‘wide-eyed’ Warne.

“What are you doing drinking a beer? Warney, I’ve played Test cricket with you for 10 years and I’ve never seen you drink a beer,” McGrath continues.

And then came the line Gillespie claims is now etched in Australian dressing room folklore.

“Pidge, I always have a beer on a bowling day.”

Stunned — and holding back laughter — Warne’s more mischievous teammates saw an instant opportunity to take the mickey.

If Warne says he likes a beer on a bowling day, then that’s exactly what he’ll get.

Along with wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist and now Australia coach Darren Lehmann, Gillespie made a pact.

“We made a pact that one of us after each day’s play when we’re out on the field, one of us will hightail it off the ground, race in, open an ice-cold frosty beer and lovingly place it on the King’s gear, near his androtops and just let him enjoy that,” Gillespie explained.

“He’s a stubborn man. He’s a very proud man and there were a few teapots — hands on the hips — but to his credit for those first four Test matches, he wouldn’t let anyone in.

“He’s sitting down and that beer is going down like absolute razorblades. Everyone — all the players, support staff — everyone’s in on the joke.”

Warne struggled through his daily frothy through the first four Tests — but was becoming increasingly grumpy with the situation.

Up until Sydney, when he finally cracked after a particularly fruitless day in the field.

He wanted a shower and a smoke. But the last thing on his agenda was a cold beer.

“Who the hell is doing this? Who keeps leaving this bloody beer on my spot?” Warne roared as he fired accusatory stares around the dressing room.

“He was a bit upset the great man. Then he realised that everyone — to a man in the dressing room — was in on it and everyone burst out laughing,” Gillespie said.

“We won that little battle. He conceded. He’s looking around the room, searching for the culprits and then he sees three sniggering idiots in the corner — Messrs Gillespie, Gilchrist and Lehmann — and he knew.

“To this day he’s been a bit grumpy with his old mate Dizz.”

Still waiting for the punchline. They made Warney drink a beer. Ok. And...?

vvvrulz

Coach
Wtf was that story?

I did take this away though: It was, after all, his arena and he typically would soak up every moment while out in the centre.

Prick.

TheParraboy

Staff member

lol

Oh dear Smith faced sledging for the first time in his career last test, poms have worked him out finally,
now that's hilarious