What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Clyde vs Sam Burgess - then vs now

Canard

Immortal
Clyde is the best backrower I've seen play the game.

Besides Mark Hohn of course.

Canard

Immortal
The lack of respect will be killing him...

Being a Raiders fan you would have appreciated Brad's partner in crime, a real back rower's back rower.

imageMain_0_3.jpg

axl rose

Bench
The unlimited interchange didn't suit Clyde at all, like Pearce, he made his name being an 80 minute man, unlike 5 minute impact forwards like Tallis.

Surprisingly Clyde played his last game for NSW/Australia at age of 24. Just couldn't stay on the field, then he fell off a horse that time during one of Wayne Pearces Blues bonding sessions. Sadly missing the series and the abseiling session planned the next day.

Last edited:

myrrh ken

First Grade
The unlimited interchange didn't suit Clyde at all, like Pearce, he made his name being an 80 minute man, unlike 5 minute impact forwards like Tallis.

Surprisingly Clyde played his last game for NSW at age of 24. Just couldn't stay on the field, then he fell off a horse that time during one of Wayne Pearces bonding sessions.:joy:

880280-cec81efa-af33-11e3-bf6a-6ec13e402258.jpg

He's so scared up there, he almost looks like a different person.

kbw

Bench

Exactly. Players like Clyde, Fitzgobbon, Kennedy etc were 100x the player Tallis would ever be.
Ten Minute Tallis was a pretender that used to go only for the little guys and when everyone else was tired.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Sam Burgess is a lot better than people are giving him credit for in this thread.

He plays 80 minutes with ease. Defends really well, makes plenty of metres, can bust the line and offload as well. The only thing letting him down is his hands.

I'm not saying he's better than Clyde because Clyde was just before my time. I've no doubt he was an all time great.

But equally Sam is the best middle third forward I've seen along with Taumalolo. Both are absolute freaks in their own right.

Interestingly, if Lolo keeps doing what he's doing for another 4 or 5 years could he challenge Clyde?

Canard

Immortal
Surprisingly Clyde played his last game for NSW/Australia at age of 24.

Was definitely injury prone, but I assume SL players not being involved in the 95 and 97 series robbed him of the chance.

Did he play for NSW in the SL tri-series?
Edit: Yep he did

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Was definitely injury prone, but I assume SL players not being involved in the 95 and 97 series robbed him of the chance.

Did he play for NSW in the SL tri-series?
Edit: Yep he did

You are right, played 2 extra tri-series games and a 'super' test. Not eligible in 95 but was injured again in 96 Didn't get picked in 98 then the accident in 99.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Clyde winning the Clive Churchill medal in the 1991 was pure bullshit. There where numerous Penrith players who played a big part in that win which vastly overshadowed Clyde's effort.

Giving it to Clyde was an insult to the Penrith Grand Final win,and an insult to the Clive Churchill Award itself.
You are aware that Clyde didn't award the medal to himself?

wibble

Bench
Sam Burgess is a lot better than people are giving him credit for in this thread.

He plays 80 minutes with ease. Defends really well, makes plenty of metres, can bust the line and offload as well. The only thing letting him down is his hands.

I'm not saying he's better than Clyde because Clyde was just before my time. I've no doubt he was an all time great.

But equally Sam is the best middle third forward I've seen along with Taumalolo. Both are absolute freaks in their own right.

Interestingly, if Lolo keeps doing what he's doing for another 4 or 5 years could he challenge Clyde?

I think Tamaulolo is the best power running back rower I have seen, when at his best, and if he plays as well as he did last year, where he won the Dally M, for 4 or 5 years, I think he will be just about on par with Clyde, IMHO. So it is fair to say that I think Clyde was immensely good.

Imagine a combination of Taumololo in running, Trbojevic in tackling, and Luke Lewis in professionalism and hitting holes. He was a true "everywhere man", always doing the extra 1% plays, always first on kick chase, backing up a break, tackling then getting back to tackle again etc.

I think Burgess was devastating in 2014, and has had a fair number of games when he snatched the victory with a big play. He does that big play as well as any forward I've seen, better than Clyde even. But Clyde did the extra effort play, that meant he was like having 2 forwards on the field for the price of one, all the time. Deserved winner of the then vs no match up, and best running/tackling forward I have seen (I rate Smith the best forward I've seen, but he is really a half playing at hooker...).

Latest posts