What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos V St Helens match thread

Leek UK

Juniors
The Observer said:
This should be a close., hard fought game, the cold weather will ensure that. However the Broncos can win it this time. If the teams look something like this, then the listed players would come out on top in each head to head comparison:

FULLBACK
Paul Wellens vs Karmichael Hunt - Hunt ------------------------EQUAL

WING
Ade Gardner vs Darius Boyd - Gardner -----------------------BOYD

CENTRE
Matt Gidley vs Brent Tate - Gidley-------------------------------TATE

CENTRE
Willie Talau vs Justin Hodges - Hodges----------------------------HODGES

WING
Francis Meli vs Tame Tupou - Meli----------------------------TUPOU

FIVE EIGHTH
Leon Pryce vs Darren Lockyer - Lockyer--------------------------LOCKYER

HALFBACK
Sean Long vs Shane Perry - Long------------------------LONG

PROP
Nick Fozzard vs Corey Parker - Parker------------------------PARKER

HOOKER
Keiron Cunningham vs Shaun Berrigan - Berrigan----------------CUNNINGHAM

PROP
Jason Cayless vs Petero Civoniceva - Civoniceva-----------------CIVONICEVA

2ND ROW
Jon Wilkin vs Brad Thorn - Thorn----------------------------THORN

2ND ROW
Lee Gilmour vs Sam Thaiday - Thaiday-----------------EQUAL

LOCK
Jason Hooper vs Tonie Carroll - Carroll-------------------------CARROLL

BENCH
PROP
James Graham vs Hannant - Hannant--------------------------GRAHAM

PROP/2ROW
Mike Bennett vs Carlaw - Carlaw-----------------------CARLAW

UTILITY/DUMMY HALF
James Roby vs Michael Ennis - Roby-----------------------ROBY

WIDE RUNNING FORWARD
Maurie Fa'asavalu vs Greg Eastwood - Eastwood-------------FASAAVALU

IMO Broncos are better on an individual basis in 12 positions (though a couple like Graham, Cunningham and Cayless are debatable). That doesn't necessarily mean the Broncos will automatically play better as a team and therefore win. Nevertheless, I think they will.

Im going for a draw 22-22,saints to win in extra time

theVodkaCircle

Juniors
gregstar said:
there's a fair dinkum "locky" echo filling these forums.

it's approaching covellian proportions.

And unlike the Covell botherers, this Locky thing doesnt have the saving grace of being amusing.

Leek UK

Juniors
Probable saints team now due to the big injury list
1 paul wellens
2 ade gardner
3 mat gidley
4 willie talau
5 francis meli
6 leon pryce
7 sean long
8 jason cayless
9 keiron cunningham
10 nick fozzard
11 lee gilmour
12 mike bennett
13 jon wilkin
=========
14 james graham
15 scott moore
16 bryn hargreaves
17 matt smith

Not looking too good for the saints.

Mr Saab

Referee
The Observer said:
the listed players would come out on top in each head to head comparison:

CENTRE
Matt Gidley vs Brent Tate - Gidley

Matt Gidley is just average.
Looking forward to seeing how many tries he bombs with his standard kick aheads when he has a 3-2 overlap.
Tate is selfish (he got into bad habits when he had Minto outside him) but at least he wont turnover possesion with useless kicks

jed

First Grade
Leek UK said:
Probable saints team now due to the big injury list
1 paul wellens
2 ade gardner
3 mat gidley
4 willie talau
5 francis meli
6 leon pryce
7 sean long
8 jason cayless
9 keiron cunningham
10 nick fozzard
11 lee gilmour
12 mike bennett
13 jon wilkin
=========
14 james graham
15 scott moore
16 bryn hargreaves
17 matt smith

Not looking too good for the saints.
12 of their starting 13 are quality players, even accounting for Cunningham being crossed off your list, but their bench would be looking very thin on the ground, that's where Brisbane will have an advantage - 17 players who wouldn't look out of place being named in the Broncos starting 13 through the year.

Leek UK

Juniors
jed said:
12 of their starting 13 are quality players, even accounting for Cunningham being crossed off your list, but their bench would be looking very thin on the ground, that's where Brisbane will have an advantage - 17 players who wouldn't look out of place being named in the Broncos starting 13 through the year.
whos not quality?

DeeGan

Bench
Bring the cup home to Australia Brisbane!

It will quieten the few in the UK who use this game to determine "the best club in the world" which galvanises their opinion that the Super League competition is superior to our own on the back of a "one off" win by the English side. Note I said "few in the UK" ;-)

I am a supporter of the Super League competition (Leeds) and want it to continually improve for the good of the game globally (though to do that, that is another whole thread covering the amount of NRL imports heading over there etc.) though I can only laugh when those from abroad hiding under a rock sit back and type "the Super League competition is comparable if not better than the NRL - just look at the World Club Challenge record of your NRL teams!" :lol: www.rlfans.com has some of the best offenders.

The Brisbane Broncos have no excuses heading in to this game (despite missing three from the grand final team including the great Webcke) given they have headed over early to prepare for this contest. The horrible conditions will not suit them and the edge may be with St Helens though the class in the Broncos line-up will make up that advantage.

I have the Brisbane Broncos winning by a 14+ margin after a tight opening 20-30 minutes.

Shorty

Staff member
I agree Deegan we need to put them in their place,even if it means waking up at 5:50 to watch it:(
I haven't really seen anything on The Saints to compare but they have a whole lot of reps from Tri-Nations in there so it should be a good match.

DeeGan

Bench
Cowgirl86 said:
I agree Deegan we need to put them in their place,even if it means waking up at 5:50 to watch it:(
I haven't really seen anything on The Saints to compare but they have a whole lot of reps from Tri-Nations in there so it should be a good match.

Let's hope so ;-)

The Saints have some world class players - it will be interesting to see the impact of having no Jamie Lyon in their team whereby a lot of their attack centred around.

I will also be an interested spectator if Paul Sculthorpe makes a surprise return from injury.

fourplay

Juniors
I hope St Helens can bounce back. They are in their worst form in years !!! really bad timing. Not only that but they are hit pretty hard by injuries at the moment which is a shame but they are still a quality team.

Leek UK

Juniors
DeeGan said:
Bring the cup home to Australia Brisbane!

It will quieten the few in the UK who use this game to determine "the best club in the world" which galvanises their opinion that the Super League competition is superior to our own on the back of a "one off" win by the English side. Note I said "few in the UK" ;-)

I am a supporter of the Super League competition (Leeds) and want it to continually improve for the good of the game globally (though to do that, that is another whole thread covering the amount of NRL imports heading over there etc.) though I can only laugh when those from abroad hiding under a rock sit back and type "the Super League competition is comparable if not better than the NRL - just look at the World Club Challenge record of your NRL teams!" :lol: www.rlfans.com has some of the best offenders.

The Brisbane Broncos have no excuses heading in to this game (despite missing three from the grand final team including the great Webcke) given they have headed over early to prepare for this contest. The horrible conditions will not suit them and the edge may be with St Helens though the class in the Broncos line-up will make up that advantage.

I have the Brisbane Broncos winning by a 14+ margin after a tight opening 20-30 minutes.
I fully agree with that and im an enlish SL supporter (Huddersfield Giants)

Spike

First Grade
By god, I thought I just saw Petro Civoniceva go through a gap but I turned the tele on too early. It was just Barney the talking Dinosaur

Frederick

Staff member
Brent Tate makes a 60m run after a dropped bomb from St Helens, but is dragged into touch by Shaun Long

Frederick

Staff member
POSSIBLE BRONCO TRY: Ade Gardener spills a Lockyer Bomb, Corey Parker regathers, and plants down. Vid Ref checking for onside and a knock-on