What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Trivia

yappy

Bench
Border retired not out.

Interesting about duck: he was an opener dismissed for a duck but the was the 3rd wicket to fall?

How was Lillee out?

and yes. Boycott opened the batting but was 3rd out (with the total on 13).

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Caught Willy bowled Dilley -

whys that matter?

Cos of the rhyming? Hardly significant...

I'm sure Mohammad has been caught by Mohammad, bowled by Mohammad with Mohammad at the other end :p

yappy

Bench
It is a very well remembered wicket for that reason and made the news.

What was special about the series?

JJ

Immortal
Starts before he got to NZ and went wicketless, Hints: Gladiators... 5 for in an ODI....

Very impressed though...
Best I can do without research - I do recall it being a drawn out process for our champion though...

Staggered to see the top 10 wicket-takers at the Gabba shown the other day.. Aussie commentators gushing over Warne at #1... think Hadlee popped up at #10, but had only played 3 tests there... I still maintain that Hadlee circa 84 on (or whenever he went to the short run) was far and away the best bowler I have ever seen

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Best I can do without research - I do recall it being a drawn out process for our champion though...

Staggered to see the top 10 wicket-takers at the Gabba shown the other day.. Aussie commentators gushing over Warne at #1... think Hadlee popped up at #10, but had only played 3 tests there... I still maintain that Hadlee circa 84 on (or whenever he went to the short run) was far and away the best bowler I have ever seen

Okay - 87-88 NZ is 1 test down in 3 test series with Aus. Final session final test - Australia 9 wickets down with Billy and Whitney batting. Hadlee needs one to tie Botham (or break Botham) COULD NOT GET WHITNEY OUT. Aus hold on to draw the test and thus win the series. The series is remembered most for Crowe J recalling AB, and Greg Dyer not doing the same for A Jones. Dyer was ultimately dropped from AUstralian team partially due to his unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Comes home for a test series against Pakis. First test days rained out. Then sunny and Hadlee wants a shortened test. The organisers say no - and a ODI ios played instead. Hadlee gets 5 wickets and is unplayable. Then in the next test - he breaks down injured... had to wait till the next season tour to India to get the record.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yappy - was it the fact that it was AUs - Eng series but no ashes and only 3 tests the answer you were looking for?

Or was it the fact the teams were back to full strength post Packer?

If so;

My question is;

February 1, 1981 is a day Greg Chappel may like to have over again if possible.

Apart from the very obvious;

Who was the NZ bowler robbed of a wicket? And why?

Last edited:

Didgi

So the answer is 1st innings - Aluminium bat, 2nd innings - Lillee c. Willey b. Dilley?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yerp.

My question is February 1, 1981 is a day Greg Chappel may like to have over again if possible.

JJ

Immortal
Yappy - was it the fact that it was AUs - Eng series but no ashes and only 3 tests the answer you were looking for?

Or was it the fact the teams were back to full strength post Packer?

If so;

My question is;

February 1, 1981 is a day Greg Chappel may like to have over again if possible.

oh the irony given Ponting's take the fielder's word bullsh*t like it's an Australian tradition...

Chappell ordered the underarm, but before he got to his century he was (apparently) caught by Martin Snedden, an absolute stunner... but refused to leave... and I can't for the life of me think who the bowler was - maybe Lance Cairns?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
oh the irony given Ponting's take the fielder's word bullsh*t like it's an Australian tradition...

Chappell ordered the underarm, but before he got to his century he was (apparently) caught by Martin Snedden, an absolute stunner... but refused to leave... and I can't for the life of me think who the bowler was - maybe Lance Cairns?

He got 90. But Yes it was Cairns. The umpires were watching the batsmen run apparently and did not see one of the best outfield catches ever. Even better than M Sinclairs in a Chappel Hadlee game a few years back.

Snedden caught it cleanly after running 30 metres; one handed spurled on the ground - but Chappel said no way he could have caught it and refused to walk. The rest of the infamy is well known history.

Over to you JJ...

JJ

Immortal
He got 90. But Yes it was Cairns. The umpires were watching the batsmen run apparently and did not see one of the best outfield catches ever. Even better than M Sinclairs in a Chappel Hadlee game a few years back.

Snedden caught it cleanly after running 30 metres; one handed spurled on the ground - but Chappel said no way he could have caught it and refused to walk. The rest of the infamy is well known history.

Over to you JJ...

Fluke actually, just figured with the big inswingers it might be him, as I thought the catch was square on the onside...

ok... ummmm

Without cheating.... the ICC has "best ever ratings for batsmen and bowlers" keeping the Kiwi theme (I am not biased!) - just three NZ batsmen AND three NZ bowlers feature in the top 100 ever, who would they be?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
At a Guess

Sutcliffe
Turner
Crowe M

Hadlee
Bond
Uhmmm Collinge? Haha. Uhmm - Maybe Vettori? Surely not Tuffey. ALLot was okay but brief.

EDIT: D'oh - Chris Cairns

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
At a Guess

Sutcliffe
Turner
Crowe M

Hadlee
Bond
Uhmmm Collinge? Haha. Uhmm - Maybe Vettori? Surely not Tuffey. ALLot was okay but brief.

EDIT: D'oh - Chris Cairns

Not Crowe, not Cairns or the others... but good start with Turner, Sutcliffe, Hadlee and Bond

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'll go Sutcliffe, Turner and Flem and Paddles, Bond and Harry Potter.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Not Crowe?

Well I doubt it could A Jones or J Wright then...

J Wright was pretty sensational in 1990 - Jones was awesome in 91-92?

Either of them?

If not Cairns - then Motz or Doull are the only other contenders. Morrison was pies.

Unless you're being playful and its Clarrie Grimmet :)

JJ

Immortal
Not Crowe?

Well I doubt it could A Jones or J Wright then...

J Wright was pretty sensational in 1990 - Jones was awesome in 91-92?

Either of them?

If not Cairns - then Motz or Doull are the only other contenders. Morrison was pies.

Unless you're being playful and its Clarrie Grimmet :)

No, not counting Grimmett... I actually thought Jack Cowie was there....

Simon Doull it is, after the series in India when he was superb, I guess...

No, not Wright, nor Jones... nor Flem twiz

ANTiLAG

First Grade
No, not counting Grimmett... I actually thought Jack Cowie was there....

Simon Doull it is, after the series in India when he was superb, I guess...

No, not Wright, nor Jones... nor Flem twiz

Not enough games for Cowie to earn a ranking I dare say...

Okay - so not Crowe, Flem, Jones, Wright, -

Edgar?
Astle?

Give me a decade or an era to work with?

Reid - EITHER OF THEM. Has to be.

Did Donnelly play enough games?

Did Dempster?

Richardson, Ryder?

Im getting desperate now.

Last edited: