Hall of Fame and Immortals

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Vee, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Of course not, skill and talent made him the player, using drugs, by his own admission, allowed him to mentally be ready for games. It enhanced his performance by helping him cope with the pressure of playing according to him not me.

Lebbo73 likes this.
  2. _Johnsy

_Johnsy Referee

Who’s the hooker & winger. There is no team of immortals, just a group of players considered immortals of the game.

So I take it that’s a yes, ouch.

3. Jimmy Clark

Jimmy Clark Juniors

Nice edit f#ckhead.

No he banged your mum. You’re his son after all.

4. Haffa

Haffa Guest

Except that’s not what he said. It allowed him to cope and escape from the pressures of life and get away from being a player. the same way a dozen schooners did for some of the other immortals.

5. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Schooners are not illegal or banned though. And yes that is what he said, coping with pressure is part of being able to perform (ask Foran). If hed used a few beers there’d be no issue but he didn’t, he used banned substances ergo he cheated by using drugs to deal with the psychological side of being a professional sportsmen. Anyways matters not, he was a great player and that was enough to get him admitted, druggie or not.

Lebbo73 likes this.
  6. Saintsified

Saintsified Bench

No its the start of it. NSWRL started it all.

7. Last Week

Last Week Juniors

You're a f**king idiot.

Apey, AlwaysGreen, Haffa and 2 others like this.
  8. Saintsified

Saintsified Bench

Cause he ain't better than Daley.

9. Saintsified

Saintsified Bench

Ahhh so that's where stretchmarks started?

10. Saintsified

Saintsified Bench

Bullshit, they do it in hope their son makes the big league one day. When they don't they dissappear.

Tennis parents are the worst though.

11. Lambretta

Lambretta First Grade

Oh seriously, take a look at yourself you sanctimonious prick. Are you a footy fan or a moral crusader?

Andrew Johns was the best player along with Lockyer, Billy Slater and Cam Smith that I have seen play the game.

You do realise that back in the 90's the vast majority of league players, like so many other young people would have taken recreational drugs? I saw quite a few of them off chops myself back in the day. Doesn't make them bad people, it just means they enjoyed having fun. Oh and to be an addict you have to take a substance which is addictive. MDMA is non addictive. In fact, the more you use it, the less effective it is, the less you want to use it. It is not ice or heroin or cocaine.

Confusing them is like confusing taking a bus ride with driving at 150k whilst drunk through a school zone.

Life's Good and Jimmy Clark like this.
  12. no name

no name Coach

Not always.
    I know plenty of volunteers that have no children involved in the teams and clubs they help out.

AlwaysGreen likes this.
  13. _Johnsy

_Johnsy Referee

Did I touch a raw nerve? So that’s a yes :joy::joy:

14. Captain Apollo

Captain Apollo First Grade

Yep. I mean wasn't it in the early 1990s that nearly the entire South Sydney team failed drug tests for recreational drugs?

15. Jimmy Clark

Jimmy Clark Juniors

May the lord have mercy on your soul.

16. The Quest For Glory

The Quest For Glory Juniors

I'm surprised there is no mention of Mick Cronin. He was Meninga before Meninga and an absolute champion on and off the field. When he won the Rothmans Medal he said "Rugby League owes me nothing. I owe Rugby League everything" Unlike like Mal "Rugby League has done nothing for me" Meninga

17. Lambretta

Lambretta First Grade

If God judges people negatively for enjoying themselves whilst doing no harm to others then he is no God of mine

PS Aretha Franklin got soul, I got rhythm - occasionally I even get the Blues :p

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Life's Good likes this.
  18. Headless Chook

Headless Chook Juniors

That Meninga comment still hits a raw nerve for so many, including me. I’m sure if he could turn back time he would erase it from living memory as it was said at an emotional stage of the games’ evolution and it’s obvious he doesn’t feel that way now.

Still, it would have been courageous and commendable if he acknowledged it during his Immortals speech.

Life's Good and Lambretta like this.
  19. Saintsified

Saintsified Bench

Why, do you remember everything you said twenty five years ago? Besides it's not awarded for comments made. Who cares.?

Lebbo73 likes this.
  20. AlwaysGreen

AlwaysGreen Immortal

Canberra wouldn't have won their premierships without Meninga and Stuart - Stuart controlled games and Meninga's mere presence on the field inspired his team mates and put fear into the opposition. Brad Clyde (along with Chicka Ferguson) is my favourite all time raiders player. Daley was a champion at all levels. I think if they weren't in those Canberra sides we would still have won, not so Stuart and Meninga.What sways Mal to be an immortal over Stuart then, imo is that he was top drawer for the whole of his career, 4 kangaroo tours is testament to that, whilst Ricky seemed to fade post that horrific ankle injury which to his credit could have been career ending.

Langer at his best was awesome, but probably played on to long.

Sterling and Kenny should be immortals. That parramatta side of the 80s is severely under represented when hall of fame and immortal discussions are made.

Willie Ray, Life's Good and Canard like this.