What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge wrap on Parramatta Eels' 17-year-old Bevan French

Gronk

Staff member
I know one thing - he won't ever pretend that he's been knocked out because of some wierd narcissistic personal soap opera reason.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I think French will have a brilliant career as an NRL fullback but with Trbojevic's size he will play Origin first, if only because he's better suited than French to the wing.
We'll see Pou. A full preseason putting on some bulk and I reckon he'll be right.

Noise

Coach
I posted a few weeks back how all my favourite Eels players of late have f**ked off on us. Unfortunately Bevan is now my favourite. I apologise in advance for causing him to leave in bitter circumstances.

Noise

Coach
I know Bevan needs to bulk up but they have to find that fine line between size and maintaining speed. It effected Ben Barba when he bulked up (he has since got back down to his Bulldogs weight)and I heard from a reliable source that Benji Marshall took several season to adjust when he bulked up.

Pazza

First Grade
I thought Kristian Inu also struggled when he packed on the size.

I think it's going to be a battle to pack on too much size on bevs. He has a very slight frame.

Forty20

First Grade
I know Bevan needs to bulk up but they have to find that fine line between size and maintaining speed. It effected Ben Barba when he bulked up (he has since got back down to his Bulldogs weight)and I heard from a reliable source that Benji Marshall took several season to adjust when he bulked up.

It already happened to Bevan last year. He bulked up to 89kg (not fat mind you) and played in the halves in the NYC and he lost that incisive speed. He spent the first third of the year getting back to a manageable size and once he did he started braining the competition again.

I think you will find that we will carefully manage him over the course of the next two pre-seasons at which point he will be very close to his ideal playing weight.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Sadly I can't see him playing origin, the selectors are obsessed with bigger frames with barely any skill at all.

Eg Jed Bogan.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

While a lot of the talk on bulking up was around a good pre - season thus more weight training, I think just getting a year or two older and growing into his body ( from a boy to a man) will also add a few kilos naturally to his frame as well.

He is only 20, still very young.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
It already happened to Bevan last year. He bulked up to 89kg (not fat mind you) and played in the halves in the NYC and he lost that incisive speed. He spent the first third of the year getting back to a manageable size and once he did he started braining the competition again.

I think you will find that we will carefully manage him over the course of the next two pre-seasons at which point he will be very close to his ideal playing weight.

His was only 19 at the time and his body probably wasn't ready at time to be playing at 89 kgs. I reckon once his around 22-23 years old his body will easily handle playing around 90kgs.

Most players get close to 90kg, even the smaller ones. Even Barba/slater are around 90kg. Just takes time.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Awesome Vid, looking at footage all you can do is smile. And the interview at the end he seems a down to earth kid with no airs and graces. Hope we get to see him pass Burty's try scoring record in about 7 or 8 years :sunglasses:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My point was that with his build there doesn't seem to be much room for filling out. I suppose he might end up as big as Billy Slater though, which is certainly big enough for a player with sufficient talent.