What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge wrap on Parramatta Eels' 17-year-old Bevan French

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Awesome Vid, looking at footage all you can do is smile. And the interview at the end he seems a down to earth kid with no airs and graces. Hope we get to see him pass Burty's try scoring record in about 7 or 8 years :sunglasses:

Going at this rate he'll only need 5 more seasons.

jono

Juniors
I think French will have a brilliant career as an NRL fullback but with Trbojevic's size he will play Origin first, if only because he's better suited than French to the wing.
As Gronk says, I'm sure Tingha will be claimed as part of Queensland

Gronk

Staff member
Hodges: My award winners of 2016
Thu 22 Sep, 2016, 7:00am
Justin Hodges, NRL.com

Surprise packet of 2016:
It was great to see Benny Barba get back to his best this year and Suliasi Vunivalu at Melbourne has been a sensation but the guy that really caught my eye this year was Bevan French at Parramatta. We saw a bit of him at the Auckland Nines at the start of the year but I probably didn't expect him to fit into first grade as quickly as he has. To score 19 tries in 13 games is incredible and when he went to fullback later in the year he scored hat-tricks two weeks in a row. The Eels have got a special young talent in Bevan.

http://www.nrl.com/hodges-my-award-winners-of-2016/tabid/10874/newsid/101587/default.aspx

TheParraboy

Staff member
Next year is the big test for Bevo, other sides will have him in their game plan and tactics id imagine, always harder to back up in your 2nd year

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Next year is the big test for Bevo, other sides will have him in their game plan and tactics id imagine, always harder to back up in your 2nd year
That might make his own form less outstanding but should also open up opportunities for his team mates. For example, teams worried about French as a kick chaser are less likely to push up hard off their tryline.

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta coach Brad Arthur has confirmed Bevan French will get the first crack at the Eels' vacant fullback role in 2017.

While Arthur had last year indicated he wanted French to play at the back, the recruitment of Josh Hoffman from the Gold Coast had led to suggestions the former Titan had been earmarked for the No.1 jersey.

But Arthur said on Wednesday that his plans were still for 21-year-old French to fill the custodian role following the departure of Michael Gordon to the Sydney Roosters.

"Bevan will get the first opportunity at fullback," Arthur told Sky Sports Radio.

"He's trained all pre-season there."

French shot onto the scene at last year's Auckland Nines, and scored 19 tries in just 13 NRL games after debuting in round 11.

He played the majority of the season on the wing, before shifting to start at fullback in round 25 - scoring six tries in his final two games there.

Arthur believes that with a full pre-season training for the position - under the eye of new trainer Ron Palmer - French is ready to slot into the No.1 jersey on a full-time basis.

"Fullbacks clock up the most kilometres in the game so they do a lot of running. So we've had a big focus with Bev in terms of his work at training," Arthur said.

"Clint Gutherson is probably our stand-out in terms of the fitness component part of it, Bevan is trying really hard to get up there with him."

Arthur reiterated he expected Semi Radradra to be a part of the club's backline following his February court appearance on domestic violence charges, prior to leaving the NRL at the end of 2017 for French rugby club Toulon.

"We know what the future holds for him now," Arthur said.

"He's made a decision and it is a business and players come and go whether they're moved on by the club or they make a call on what's best for them."

"He's committed to 2017, he wants nothing more than for us to be successful."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tta-eels-fullback-jersey-20170117-gttiqf.html

betcats

Referee
Looking forward to seeing this kid play this year, he just has that touch of class and ability to do freakish shit. That kick last night for JT moving that quick was amazing.

Gronk

Staff member
So is Bev better than Hayne at the same stage of their careers? IIRC Hayne was DM Rookie of the year but Bev scored more tries in his debut year ? I think Puddin played origin in his 2nd year so Bev might be pushing shit up hill there.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not even close. By the time Hayne was French's age he was a three season veteran, with Dally M Rookie and Winger plus TWO Brad Fittler Medals (NSW player of the series) under his belt. He won the Dally M Medal in '09 at age 21. French is 21 this year.

Not to say French won't have a career full of highlights and premierships, but Hayne is a once-in-a-generation talent. French might never play Origin. In fact, I hope he doesn't.

Because I hate him.

Avenger

Immortal
So is Bev better than Hayne at the same stage of their careers? IIRC Hayne was DM Rookie of the year but Bev scored more tries in his debut year ? I think Puddin played origin in his 2nd year so Bev might be pushing shit up hill there.
No chance. However French will win a premiership unlike Hayne who will keep chasing individual dream$.

strider

Post Whore
Hayne was a once in 5 generations talent .... but his application of that talent had a fair bit to be desired