What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JDB New Skipper ??

Old Timer

Coach
Lawrie may be not be a brilliant footballer but look at his stats per game and you'll find that he actually outperforms his minutes - in his 45 minute-odd stints, averages 122m, 34pcm, and 31 tackles at 94.3% efficiency. Further, if you watch the Dragons junior development training day video you see how much effort Lawrie puts into being a good role model towards the young guys to make sure they work hard and how much he truly cares about St George Illawarra. He is a clubman and very well spoken, too, and character-wise, is the image we should be aspiring towards.

It's funny how so many of you are so quick to criticise our players for having a lack of heart and that you'd rather our blokes give a red hot crack even if we lose, but when we have a player like Block who does that week in, week out, we've 'hit rock bottom', like Block is our biggest problem.
No one is saying that he is our biggest problem but a problem he is.

No one is knocking down the door to get his signature nor is he ever mentioned in respect of rep footy so that has to tell you something namely he is limited.

A toiler he is and a toiler he will always be but alas some think because he has the club at heart and that he tries his best that means he is an automatic walk up start and potentially captain material.

Its a bit like when we let Sims go the roof was going to crash down us because Bellyache was going to turn him into some game changing player that we didn't know about well how did that all go?

Many a player in the Big Red V looks better than what he is simply because blokes like Pudding are automatic selections and the simple fact is they ain't that good.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
No one is saying that he is our biggest problem but a problem he is.

No one is knocking down the door to get his signature nor is he ever mentioned in respect of rep footy so that has to tell you something namely he is limited.

A toiler he is and a toiler he will always be but alas some think because he has the club at heart and that he tries his best that means he is an automatic walk up start and potentially captain material.

Its a bit like when we let Sims go the roof was going to crash down us because Bellyache was going to turn him into some game changing player that we didn't know about well how did that all go?

Many a player in the Big Red V looks better than what he is simply because blokes like Pudding are automatic selections and the simple fact is they ain't that good.
You make some good points OT, but I don't think Block is a problem as such. I did say he is limited but he gets through plenty of work in the minutes that he plays so although he's not the best player, he doesn't just give it a go, he puts forward some good numbers, too. However, being a walk-up started does indicate our club's lack of depth but he is a solid bench forward. Although I did say that he is my first choice for captain in another thread, his limited minutes have changed my mind and I think Su'a would be my first choice for captaincy, but I'm not upset that Block got it either. With Tariq it is a little different because he was old, past it, and riddled with injuries. Block, regardless of where he goes, will never be a game changing player. But a solid player that gives his all? That, he will be. Can't say the same about Sims post-2018.

since77

Juniors
Lawrie may be not be a brilliant footballer but look at his stats per game and you'll find that he actually outperforms his minutes - in his 45 minute-odd stints, averages 122m, 34pcm, and 31 tackles at 94.3% efficiency. Further, if you watch the Dragons junior development training day video you see how much effort Lawrie puts into being a good role model towards the young guys to make sure they work hard and how much he truly cares about St George Illawarra. He is a clubman and very well spoken, too, and character-wise, is the image we should be aspiring towards.

It's funny how so many of you are so quick to criticise our players for having a lack of heart and that you'd rather our blokes give a red hot crack even if we lose, but when we have a player like Block who does that week in, week out, we've 'hit rock bottom', like Block is our biggest problem.
Sure Lawrie plays with heart. Unfortunately though he’s entirely representative of how woefully bad our forward pack is. Lawrie wouldn’t dent a marshmallow and I can’t imagine a team in the top 8 he’d get a starting spot in. Every now and again he has an 8 out of 10 game but those are very very rare.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
It's just a fitness thing with Lawrie as he definitely tries hard but just runs out of puff. Next year Lawrie will be in better shape same with Bird and they will be much better.

Slippery Morris

First Grade

St George Illawarra to name new captain after de Belin cameo​

Adam Pengilly

ByAdam Pengilly

July 4, 2023 — 11.40am
Save

The Dragons will use their third captain this year with Blake Lawrie to relieve Jack de Belin of the duties as they try to compensate for a leadership vacuum at the club.​

De Belin, who was a controversial appointment as captain in Ben Hunt’s absence earlier this year during the State of Origin series, will take a back seat to Lawrie, who is considered one of the senior figures in St George Illawarra’s playing group.

Lawrie would have been a contender for the loss to the Dolphins in late May, but was sidelined with a broken hand at the time.
Friday night’s clash with the Raiders at WIN Stadium will be the first time Lawrie has captained the Dragons.

St George Illawarra were believed to have been impressed by de Belin stepping up to fill the role while Hunt was on Queensland duty, but stressed Lawrie would have been a perfect fit if he hadn’t been injured.
The 26-year-old only this year signed a three-year contract extension which will keep him at the Dragons until 2026 and he will be crucial to incoming coach Shane Flanagan’s hopes of rejuvenating the club.
St George Illawarra forwards Jack de Belin and Blake Lawrie.

St George Illawarra forwards Jack de Belin and Blake Lawrie.CREDIT:GETTY
Speaking to this masthead about his elevation as Dragons captain in May, de Belin said: “This means the world to me, and to be able to lead this proud club after everything I’ve been through, it’s super satisfying and a good reward.”
De Belin was sidelined for more than two years under the NRL’s no-fault stand-down policy as he fought sexual assault charges following a night out in Wollongong in 2018.

A jury failed to reach a verdict in his first trial before a jury in a second trial found him not guilty of one sexual assault charge and couldn’t reach a verdict on five others. The Director of Public Prosecutions opted against pursuing a third trial.
The Dragons are trying to turn around two heavy losses in the past fortnight against the finals-chasing Warriors and Sharks, conceding a combined 100 points. The loss to the Warriors was de Belin’s 200th NRL match, just the sixth player to achieve the feat in St George Illawarra history.
Amid speculation Hunt won’t be at the Dragons beyond this year following his request to be released from his contract, the club is trying to avoid its first wooden spoon in the history of the joint venture but still have to play the Eels, Rabbitohs, Storm and Warriors in their last eight matches.