What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Korbin out?

Johns Magic

Referee
Eyyyyyy!

The Newcastle Knights has granted Korbin Sims’ request for an immediate release from the final year of his contract.

Sims, who joined the Club in 2011 and played 76 NRL games, was contracted for the 2017 season.

“The Club carefully considered the request and following further discussions with Korbin and his management have decided to grant his release,” CEO Matt Gidley said.

“We thank Korbin for his contribution to the Club and wish him and his family all the best for the future.”

The Club has commenced and will continue recruitment discussions following the departure of Sims.

“The Club is in a very strong position to enter the player market and improve our squad for 2017 and beyond,” Gidley concluded.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/01/20/korbin_sims_departs_.html

Jono078

Referee
I said it in the Pauli Pauli thread and I'll say it again here:

Yay for our season! Anything else want to happen this week while we're at it?

Burwood

Bench
So Gidley is saying that we are ready to hit the player market for 2017, but yesterday Brown says that we won't be recruiting for 2017 because every player that he would like to sign is of high calibre and their current clubs would refuse to release them early.

perverse

Referee
We sure are good at savaging our roster in a pre-season. Not too fussed about Korbs himself, I've actually assumed he's been out the door for some time. I can't see us avoiding our third spoon in a row. How long since a team has "won" 3 consecutively?

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Sims isn't a 2nd tier player worth 85k. He has been on the fringe of origin selection for the last 2 seasons. He is easily a 200k player.

perverse

Referee
He takes up 6% of the salary cap. It's not a fortune... maybe a small Knights tax in there, but not as much as many. 400k isn't what it was even 5 years ago... and moving forward it's even smaller peanuts.

Spot On

Coach
I for one will not believe that Sims has elected to forgo close to 80% of this season's wage. Nor should any of you. It's bullshit.

Blokes that have a chance to earn decent dollars at the top end of this game for a few years do not throw away 300K like is being reported. Sorry, but when he retires, and that can happen at any moment as seen with Alex McKinnon, Korbin won't be earning hundreds of thousands every year I would assume. These are the years he will set himself up and they don't last too long.

Please, would anyone here leave their job @close to 400K and work elsewhere, doing the same job, for 85K???

Absolutely not.

Latest posts