What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Korbin out?

Johns Magic

Referee
He takes up 6% of the salary cap. It's not a fortune... maybe a small Knights tax in there, but not as much as many. 400k isn't what it was even 5 years ago... and moving forward it's even smaller peanuts.

400k is still not peanuts. You would want a rep-quality player for that money outside the spine positions whether that be this year or next.

Spot On

Coach
400k is still not peanuts. You would want a rep-quality player for that money outside the spine positions whether that be this year or next.

Agreed.

I'm still flabbergasted that Mullen was on 750K. It scares me to think what they have given Gagai. I thought it was 575K but I now have no confidence that is anywhere near the real figure.

I've been looking at the Marathon Stadium site the past few weeks and there are people in there who believe Brown will be sacked by mid year. Some I think even want it.

Do they really believe that this effing mess was going to take 1 year to clean up and then fix??? People only need to have a look at how long it is taking Penrith to fix up their books and turn things around.

Surely Brown deserves at least a few more years to see his plan through.

As far as I'm concerned, I could not be happier with the players he has let go, and had to let go, due to the ridiculous state of the books and the fact that those players on huge money have delivered diddly squat. I don't expect a lot this season, would like to see the good young players now on the books have an injury free season and continue to improve. Hopefully Brown and Mooney are able to make 3 or 4 really good quality signings for 2018, maybe with the odd surprise this season. But for the life of me, I can not understand why anyone would want to see the back of Brown at this stage knowing what he's already had to do and done. Surely he gets a few more years here yet.

Last edited:

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I for one will not believe that Sims has elected to forgo close to 80% of this season's wage. Nor should any of you. It's bullshit.

Blokes that have a chance to earn decent dollars at the top end of this game for a few years do not throw away 300K like is being reported. Sorry, but when he retires, and that can happen at any moment as seen with Alex McKinnon, Korbin won't be earning hundreds of thousands every year I would assume. These are the years he will set himself up and they don't last too long.

Please, would anyone here leave their job @close to 400K and work elsewhere, doing the same job, for 85K???

Absolutely not.

Yeah exactly right, it's such a cop out when players say this. It's bullshit that playing under Bennett is worth losing 300k.

I have no doubt in my mind that korbins little 2nd tier deal is nicely topped up with some TPAs

Johns Magic

Referee
The players Brown has sacked it's like he read my mind.

Now to see if he can work some magic on the recruitment front. He has put us in a position cap-wise to do so, hopefully our performances this year are not basket-case level and that should help attracting some decent players.

slotmachine

First Grade
If you think Brown won't be under pressure if we're getting pumped by 50 every week and win 1 game all season again you're crazy

slotmachine

First Grade
Surely the team has to show something in terms of improvement though. Less comical defence would be a start.

Johns Magic

Referee
It sounds to me like the club is incredibly on board with what Brown is doing.

The pre-season from hell we've had will afford him some leniency as well.

How far will we be under the cap this season? That will be taken into account.

We have signed Ponga, and Brown will get massive credit for that.

I just can't see it. We had a shocker last year and all the club seems to have done is rally around him.

Whats Doing

Bench
If he is on a 2nd tier contract, doesn't that restrict the amount of games he can play in the top grade otherwise they will have to get rid of one of their current top 25 players?

Johns Magic

Referee
If he is on a 2nd tier contract, doesn't that restrict the amount of games he can play in the top grade otherwise they will have to get rid of one of their current top 25 players?

My impression has always been that it would take a few players outside the top 25 to do that.

I thought there was some rule about having to get special approval for players outside the top 25 to play first grade when you had fit available top 25 players in the same position?

Maybe that just applies if you are right on the cap and the match payments are going to be over?

Spot On

Coach
If you think Brown won't be under pressure if we're getting pumped by 50 every week and win 1 game all season again you're crazy

Well I'm crazy then.

But not as crazy as the board if they sack him after 1 and a bit seasons after bringing him in to do what he has done so far. He is far from finished though.

It would have been nice to win more games last year and we did have our chances to do that but we weren't good enough. I won't be calling for Brown's head while he has the squad he has atm and not until some serious recruiting occurs and they get a chance to play a decent number of games together. That's where we are at. Is that not good enough yet??? After a little over a year at this club????

I'm obviously crazy but not as stupid as those who think this is going to be fixed after 1 year.

It will take many years. Please use Penrith as an example and they haven't had the shit this club has had to deal with.

So people need to show a bit of backbone and stick instead of the other option.

If they fail to recruit well and the young blokes don't develop I'll change my crazy idea about what has happened and Brown will be looking for employment elsewhere. But I'm more than happy to stick with what is happening atm.

I just can't make a case for keeping any of the blokes Brown has punted or had to let go. I'm not huge Mullen fan either so if he's made a huge error I think that will only help Brown get what he really needs a lot more quickly.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade

Nah, you get 400k to spend on players outside the top 25 that play first grade. Once that's used up you need to get dispensation from the NRL to use anyone else.

slotmachine

First Grade
Is that not good enough yet??? After a little over a year at this club????

Anyone can sack a bunch of players, or watch as they run from the flaming train wreck. I'm saying that there needs to be signs of improvement in the squad that Brown has or questions should be asked. Has he shown that he can coach? Everyone bar Ross, dan saifiti and Barnett went backwards last year. If he can coach I would expect to see players playing more to their potential. Brown said they focused on defence last year and it was comically bad. Blaming everything on Hagan and stone is a cop out in regards to individuals efforts.

Anyway, we might not win many games but fans should be seeing a more competitive team at least with less drubbings. That's a low bar to clear.

Brown is kicking goals in my books, every player gone has been replace with far better players.uate is the perfect example. Wardle for mamo,and without a penny spent.bennett trashed our playing roster and piss of a year early.some super coach he is,more quality players will come and our roster is way better then last year.we wil get a few wins this year.2018 will be exciting times for our club.

Johns Magic

Referee
Anyone can sack a bunch of players

I don't think they can actually, without knowing there will be serious short-term pain and heat on their job as a result. Brown has had the balls to do it and I am pretty sure he's done it with the full backing of the club who are willing to wait it out with him because they want a complete culture change and that can take time.

Spot On

Coach
Anyone can sack a bunch of players, or watch as they run from the flaming train wreck. I'm saying that there needs to be signs of improvement in the squad that Brown has or questions should be asked. Has he shown that he can coach? Everyone bar Ross, dan saifiti and Barnett went backwards last year. If he can coach I would expect to see players playing more to their potential. Brown said they focused on defence last year and it was comically bad. Blaming everything on Hagan and stone is a cop out in regards to individuals efforts.

Anyway, we might not win many games but fans should be seeing a more competitive team at least with less drubbings. That's a low bar to clear.

There aren't many coaches with the balls to do what Brown has done after one year and keep forging through. The bloke has done an outstanding job and handled himself in the media better than anyone could have expected.

For Christ sake, how many players did Brown move around last year and try in different positions? Countless. How many babies did he have in the side? How many made their debuts? Effing heaps.

You should know what he was doing and why he was doing it. If he does that again this year I'll change my tune.

Did you think he was going to turn them into rep stars after playing a few games in firsts??

C'mon.

And I do see the Hagan/Stone/ Bennett years as the main cause of the shit heap Brown has had to clean up.

And that's because it is.

I agree we don't know how good a coach he is and will be with the team he is attempting to build so the jury is out on that one. Let's give it some time hey.

You only need to look at the Broncos, who get every favour imaginable, and have not won a comp in a decade. Then look at what we have and the favours we get and the shit Brown has had to push up hill and will continue to push for a while yet.

If anyone's head should be on the chopping bloke it will be Bennett's after this season if Brisbane fail again, not Brown.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
I don't think they can actually, without knowing there will be serious short-term pain and heat on their job as a result. Brown has had the balls to do it and I am pretty sure he's done it with the full backing of the club who are willing to wait it out with him because they want a complete culture change and that can take time.

Definitely has balls. Saying he's not buying anyone for 2017 because he only wants rep players is the bravest move you'd see from a coach.

Tanking another season after 2016 he must be pretty confident in the support he has within the club.

Spot on I think you need to read my posts more closely. No one is saying Brown needs to make the finals or churn out rep stars or even win that many games.

He needs to pick the best side and have the players he does have at his disposal improving, individually and as a team, especially in defence. And he's bought five guys this year that will be in the best 17. Another season of 50 point spankings isn't all on Hagan and co.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Tanking another season after 2016 he must be pretty confident in the support he has within the club.

Yep I think that sums it up and that's why I don't see him as under pressure.

We will be signing players this year, 100%. Quite frankly the club's eyes are already on 2018 IMO and the side that Brown will have built then.