What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Rein linked with Super League - Leeds Rhinos

TheRev

First Grade
You are all correct really.. arguing different things!

o Rein being able to handle 80 minutes (and so rarely injured) is a huge advantage, we have seem how easily a couple of injuries can decimate your 8 interchanges, especially if it happens early in a game... If the interchange ever went to 6 then wow..

o But also 100% that Mary has made a meal of his interchange bench this year, Havili is begging to be used for longer minutes + some hitups before he goes off, and thats only happened a handful of times, perhaps he has no faith in him.. I will say though that Havili has some errors in him, so im not sure how he handles longer minutes.. but id like to actually find out by giving him a shot lol.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Havili ...lol.. perhaps the most ridiculous example you have used all year to make a point to support Mary and believe me you have made a lot of ridiculous examples...
The kid gets splinters sitting on the bench all match. Surely even you aren't dumb enough to suggest Mary is using havili strategically...but of course you are Mary.

You have a tendency to constantly stray from the original point of discussion and take the conversation in a different direction every time your poor logic is found out.... Quite amusing actually.

Haha....and you claim I have a tendency to stray...FMD ! Havili getting splinters is the only piece you have written above that is about football. Again, you've offered nothing of substance.
Support for Mary ? Huh? Jeez you have a vivid imagination there Mr Dick Ed.
I am certain I have seen Havili used as a running forward and been on the field at the same time as Rein. Is this incorrect? You may have even listed him as one of the 7 second rowers that are better than Frizell?
I don't think I have ever once stated Havili has been used well, or strategically, or has had plenty of game time. Find those comments by me and I will concede this point.
Unlike you, I find nothing amusing about your ill informed posts. You should spend your time learning to count.

giboz71

First Grade
It's funny, we spend a whole heap of time in this forum discussing how to best utilise 2 key spine positions. Is Dugan a fullback or centre? Is Rein an 80 min player or not? Oh and of course the whole having no halfback thing.

Is it any wonder we struggle. Would be nice if these guys actually took these questions away from the coach and make it bleeding obvious how best to play them by showing it on the field.

Dugan runs the ball as well as any fullback in the game plus his defence is very good on the goal line.

He doesn't pass and doesn't know how to insert himself into an attacking structure.

Rein is a good defender and runs the ball well.

His decision making is poor and his passing is so so.

Add to that two 5/8's who at times can do good things and other times are boarding on under 7's.

In a nutshell the spine is average.

Mr Red

First Grade
80 minute players are a bonus.
Playing players who clearly struggle to handle a full game for 80 minutes in an attempt to save an interchange is certainly not a bonus!

Sure, the game has changed - yet there's only 2 other teams in the comp who run their hookers for 80 minutes, and those 2 particular hookers do so because they are capable.

He's clearly struggling to understand the difference between an 80 minute player and a player playing 80 minutes ....

I agree with your point 100% and an out of gas rein playing 80 minutes is no bonus whatsoever...

BennyV

Referee
Good summation.
And there has been numerous times where we have had fresh legs on the bench, and rein is out there playing 80mins at the detriment of the team. Quite obvious he is spent, like a few others yet Mary with subs up his sleeve does nothing.

At the Raiders game at Kogarah and Cowboys game at Gong, Rein had to get cramps stretched out at around the 50 minute mark. For the 20 minutes after that, he was struggling to keep pace with the defensive line (in saying that, he wasn't the only one). Not sure how it looked on TV but it was bleedingly obvious from the stands. Keeping him on from that point is mindless.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Sounds more like Robbie Farrah to join Leeds Rhinos next year and join his mate Keith Galloway, so this rumored article is more like crap.
I'm sure Rein will remain in the NRL either at the Dragons or Nathan Brown will pinch him to the Knights.....and most likely improve him dramatically under his and Buderus's proper coaching guidance. He'll probably go on to play SOO and our club will look like prize gooses again.

BennyV

Referee
The only 9 I've seen play 80 effective minutes is Cam Smith. But even he has a spell during the game, with cronk and slater helping out with the hooking duties especially when coming out of their own quarter.

I think if Rein has that much energy and is an ok defender why not rotate him to lock and bring another 9 off the bench? Could be an option.

In regards to young, im pretty sure he was shifted to lock when fein was brought on and Jeremy smith was given a spell. I do think young with his dicky knee was ever defending out on the edges.

I believe Ennis plays 80 minutes too. But that's it; all other top hookers get a breather! Granville rotates with Kostjasyn, Hodgson rotates with Baptiste, McCollough with Nikorima, even Friend gets a spell to give Watson a run.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
At the Raiders game at Kogarah and Cowboys game at Gong, Rein had to get cramps stretched out at around the 50 minute mark. For the 20 minutes after that, he was struggling to keep pace with the defensive line (in saying that, he wasn't the only one). Not sure how it looked on TV but it was bleedingly obvious from the stands. Keeping him on from that point is mindless.

BennyV...don't think for one minute that I don't completely understand your point...I do.
My argument is that the game is changing or evolving and the 80 min hookers will become the norm. Interchanges are gold. You can see this by the way some clubs are now using the headbin/head knock ruling to look for a free interchange where possible.
If Rein's stamina can continue to improve, he will save us a much treasured interchange.
I thought you may have admitted this in one of your subsequent posts. Interchanges will be reduced again in the future, so we'll have to start looking at 2nd rowers that can play the full 80mins also.
The other issue that needs to be addressed by people that can't count is, hooker is an integral part of the spine. A high $ valued position. You can't have two top shelf hookers in the same squad as it upsets the cap balance for the rest of the spine. Not saying it is the norm but Smith and Farah are up around $900k- $1m a season and that's just for one player.
Rein at $450-500k playing 60 mins plus a decent 2nd stringer at $300k is a better option in my view. However, an improved level of stamina from Rein and playing the full 80mins is still a better option as it reduces the number of interchanges that can be used for the big boppers.
Maybe we should look to revolutionise the role of 6 and 7? Maybe one of those steps in as hooker for a spell? Maybe bench player #17 needs to be far more versatile in their ability to cover an even wider range of positions and not just a 2nd hooker/running forward?

hazzbeen

Bench
Jubileeboy (Maybe we should look to revolutionise the role of 6 and 7? Maybe one of those steps in as hooker for a spell? Maybe bench player #17 needs to be far more versatile in their ability to cover an even wider range of positions and not just a 2nd hooker/running forward?
Spot on mate.... They need to be looking at the way the game is changing we are behind times with our selection of players and coaching....

Mr Red

First Grade
Jubileeboy (Maybe we should look to revolutionise the role of 6 and 7? Maybe one of those steps in as hooker for a spell? Maybe bench player #17 needs to be far more versatile in their ability to cover an even wider range of positions and not just a 2nd hooker/running forward?
Spot on mate.... They need to be looking at the way the game is changing we are behind times with our selection of players and coaching....

It's commonly referred to as a triangle player. It's been around for 10 years. Dragons did it with Fien quite often. The triangle player can play 6,7,9 (and maybe 1 as a bonus if you got a good one)
Craig wing was the ultimate triangle player covering all 4 of those positions. Would that make him a square player ?? .....lol
When the dragons purchased McCrone I thought he could add value in the role, however Mary seems to think he's our second best half..

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
BennyV...don't think for one minute that I don't completely understand your point...I do.
My argument is that the game is changing or evolving and the 80 min hookers will become the norm. Interchanges are gold. You can see this by the way some clubs are now using the headbin/head knock ruling to look for a free interchange where possible.
If Rein's stamina can continue to improve, he will save us a much treasured interchange.
I thought you may have admitted this in one of your subsequent posts. Interchanges will be reduced again in the future, so we'll have to start looking at 2nd rowers that can play the full 80mins also.
The other issue that needs to be addressed by people that can't count is, hooker is an integral part of the spine. A high $ valued position. You can't have two top shelf hookers in the same squad as it upsets the cap balance for the rest of the spine. Not saying it is the norm but Smith and Farah are up around $900k- $1m a season and that's just for one player.
Rein at $450-500k playing 60 mins plus a decent 2nd stringer at $300k is a better option in my view. However, an improved level of stamina from Rein and playing the full 80mins is still a better option as it reduces the number of interchanges that can be used for the big boppers.
Maybe we should look to revolutionise the role of 6 and 7? Maybe one of those steps in as hooker for a spell? Maybe bench player #17 needs to be far more versatile in their ability to cover an even wider range of positions and not just a 2nd hooker/running forward?

The problem with all that is that you're basically saying Rein has to be the man. He doesn't! For $450-500k we could a superior hooker, especially if we are looking at playing them for 50-60 mins only. Rein is off contract, there's no reason we need to re-sign him for a higher salary.

And I agree re: using a bench utility to cover multiple positionsources. The bloke I'd be eyeing off is Kostjasyn. Very accomplished as a hooker, strong enough to play in the forwards and smart enough to add an extra playmaker. Something like that could also go a long way to solving our problems with a running fullback.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
The problem with all that is that you're basically saying Rein has to be the man. He doesn't! For $450-500k we could a superior hooker, especially if we are looking at playing them for 50-60 mins only. Rein is off contract, there's no reason we need to re-sign him for a higher salary.

And I agree re: using a bench utility to cover multiple positionsources. The bloke I'd be eyeing off is Kostjasyn. Very accomplished as a hooker, strong enough to play in the forwards and smart enough to add an extra playmaker. Something like that could also go a long way to solving our problems with a running fullback.

So who are the superior hookers that can replace Rein, for 80 mins, at that money?
Please don't say Segeyaro. Any hooker deemed better than Rein will command way more than $450/500k. I would definitely be looking for an 80 min player, regardless.
Kostjasyn would definitely be a handy pick in the 17 up but not sure about a replacement though.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Sounds more like Robbie Farrah to join Leeds Rhinos next year and join his mate Keith Galloway, so this rumored article is more like crap.
I'm sure Rein will remain in the NRL either at the Dragons or Nathan Brown will pinch him to the Knights.....and most likely improve him dramatically under his and Buderus's proper coaching guidance. He'll probably go on to play SOO and our club will look like prize gooses again.

Is the Farah to Leeds rumour based on The Mole's article? As usual, he throws a headline out there (Leeds looks set to seal Farah deal). He has a few mates in England that help him out with this stuff, but he doesn't credit them.

BennyV

Referee
So who are the superior hookers that can replace Rein, for 80 mins, at that money?
Please don't say Segeyaro. Any hooker deemed better than Rein will command way more than $450/500k. I would definitely be looking for an 80 min player, regardless.
Kostjasyn would definitely be a handy pick in the 17 up but not sure about a replacement though.

...not sure if you actually read my comment. I specifically said that we don't need one to play for 80 minutes, especially considering that Rein himself struggles when playing 80...

Latest posts