What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Whispers: Saint's Chase Rangi (Part II)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It has been a long thread. So just to repeat... Chase has got a rap sheet:

1. Castleford have dropped him twice since 2010 on disciplinary grounds.
2. He broke a player's jaw with a high tackle last year - suspended three weeks. Youtube footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCZHmfa4FbE
3. Suspended again just this year for a 'reckless' tackle that knocked a player out - two matches.
4. News reports on 'booze related' incidents.
5. Then there's the court case in 2011 where he was found guilty of punching a bloke in a Gold Coast pub in 2008. Link: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/08/10/339941_crime-and-court-news.html

Not pretty reading.

Compare that to Josh Dugan who only guilty of the lesser indiscretions listed, and how many hoops he had to jump through before we were willing, and able, to sign him.

This thread is a goodun', but we were never going to sign Rangi Chase.

nrlnrl

First Grade
It has been a long thread. So just to repeat... Chase has got a rap sheet:

1. Castleford have dropped him twice since 2010 on disciplinary grounds.
2. He broke a player's jaw with a high tackle last year - suspended three weeks. Youtube footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCZHmfa4FbE
3. Suspended again just this year for a 'reckless' tackle that knocked a player out - two matches.
4. News reports on 'booze related' incidents.
5. Then there's the court case in 2011 where he was found guilty of punching a bloke in a Gold Coast pub in 2008. Link: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/08/10/339941_crime-and-court-news.html

Not pretty reading.

Compare that to Josh Dugan who only guilty of the lesser indiscretions listed, and how many hoops he had to jump through before we were willing, and able, to sign him.

This thread is a goodun', but we were never going to sign Rangi Chase.

Yep, good post.

He was quoted as saying that he was to change as he had a family to look after, but sadly that doesn't seem t one the case. The recent events with off field dramas will only mean clubs are more selective with their recruitment.

I'm not naive enough to think that the talented ones aren't given more leeway, but the clubs know the NRL are serious about cleaning up the behaviour of players & the resulting image it gives the game. Parents are making choices based on this more than ever & there are quite a few other options for kids with winter sport.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Price should(but won't) gamble with drinkwater & king in the halves for some variety in attack as well as both being goal kickers.I close my eyes everytime dugan has a shot.:?

please remember Widdop was a good goal kicker. He was the number 1 kicker when playing Toyota Cup, but I don't know if he practices to maintain his skills ? I suppose we'll find out on Monday if he's still a goal kicker or not.

TheRev

First Grade
Jackson Hastings will be fast tracked to the fulltime squad next year in a bid to keep him at the dragons. Who knows could be a Hastings and Widdop halfs combo in 2014......:D
Interesting idea, will Hastings start at 6 or 7 immediately? Will he go straight to Cutters?

TheRev, Quinlan can kick a goal.
I was wondering whether he could, but the fact that Drinkwater & Vai Vai kicked in front of him, I figured it wasnt his strong-suit?

BennyV

Referee
Jackson Hastings will be fast tracked to the fulltime squad next year in a bid to keep him at the dragons. Who knows could be a Hastings and Widdop halfs combo in 2014......:D

I'd say it would just be training with the first grade, maybe getting game time with Cutters ...I doubt he'll play first grade and I'd say he'd still have K.Stanley, Crook and possibly Cummins (if he continues training in the halves) in front of him for a shot. Would more than likely come in as a utility in the case of injuries, but prob not directly to the halves.

Compare that shot to one from GI last year and a lot of Souffs fans would say it was a brilliant shot and the other play is a cat :sarcasm:

PS Lol@souffs

FFS. So now we've bought this Penrith reserve grader for this year and have quietly seceded from the halves market for 2014 because we've got Stanley, Hastings and whoever. LOL@Saints.

willzy91

Juniors
I'd say it would just be training with the first grade, maybe getting game time with Cutters ...I doubt he'll play first grade and I'd say he'd still have K.Stanley, Crook and possibly Cummins (if he continues training in the halves) in front of him for a shot. Would more than likely come in as a utility in the case of injuries, but prob not directly to the halves.

PS Lol@souffs

To be honest cummins won't be with us next year (asked for a release), the Stanley bros will be let go as well I would say (didn't live up to their potential) and he is easily in front of crook for talent, so you never know he might be a chance but with the signing of Harry sejka that chance slims if he gets into first grade now and has a good run of performances.

BennyV

Referee
To be honest cummins won't be with us next year (asked for a release), the Stanley bros will be let go as well I would say (didn't live up to their potential) and he is easily in front of crook for talent, so you never know he might be a chance but with the signing of Harry sejka that chance slims if he gets into first grade now and has a good run of performances.

Cummins isn't leaving - the 'rumour' regarding him asking for a release was blown up, as it was just his manager shopping around, he didnt actually ask for one and if he did, there's nothing to say he'd be granted one.
IMO, Hastings isnt 'easily' in front of Crook, far from it...they are two very different players; Crook is a classic halfback who controls the game Cooper-Cronk-Style and is in everything, Hastings is a flashier and creative ball-runner...they've both got a long way to go before breaking first grade but I reckon they'd compliment each other well and look forward to seeing them play together next year, either in U20s or Cutters. Also heard there is a big difference in the attitude between the two aswell...

willzy91

Juniors
Cummins isn't leaving - the 'rumour' regarding him asking for a release was blown up, as it was just his manager shopping around, he didnt actually ask for one and if he did, there's nothing to say he'd be granted one.
IMO, Hastings isnt 'easily' in front of Crook, far from it...they are two very different players; Crook is a classic halfback who controls the game Cooper-Cronk-Style and is in everything, Hastings is a flashier and creative ball-runner...they've both got a long way to go before breaking first grade but I reckon they'd compliment each other well and look forward to seeing them play together next year, either in U20s or Cutters. Also heard there is a big difference in the attitude between the two aswell...

Oh fair enough, I had just heard alot of talk that cummins has a really bad attitude and Dugan coming in we would almost definitely look elsewhere. I do agree with them both having a long way to go in development I would say the pairing of them in the cutters next year would be really great to see. Cummins can't be too far off returning from injury either.

BennyV

Referee
Oh fair enough, I had just heard alot of talk that cummins has a really bad attitude and Dugan coming in we would almost definitely look elsewhere. I do agree with them both having a long way to go in development I would say the pairing of them in the cutters next year would be really great to see. Cummins can't be too far off returning from injury either.

I think Cummins is due back next week? And yeah, he may not necessarily have the best attitude but the whole story about him asking for a release on the back of the Dugan signing is fairly blown out of proportion...

nrlnrl

First Grade

Crook can still play in U20's next year & Hastings has 3 more if needed ( either at Dragons or ? ) . Yes everyone is keen to introduce young talent, but let's not be too impatient.

Father Ted

First Grade
FFS. So now we've bought this Penrith reserve grader for this year and have quietly seceded from the halves market for 2014 because we've got Stanley, Hastings and whoever. LOL@Saints.

Trust You're old mate Ted , Hastings is a good un. And we have'nt seceded from the market because we had pretty much asked every half in the market including a nufty from the Burleigh Bears. This guy for the rest of the year and maybe Williams next year.and Hastings down the track .At worst another Willie Peters/Ben Kusto half year. We can do this !!!! You Alter Boy , Pass me another Zoloft quick .

Last edited:

jenninga

First Grade
Trust You're old mate Ted , Hastings is a good un. And we have'nt seceded from the market because we had pretty much asked every half in the market including a nufty from the Burleigh Bears. This guy for the rest of the year and maybe Williams next year.and Hastings down the track .At worst another Willie Peters/Ben Kusto half year. We can do this !!!! You Alter Boy , Pass me another Zoloft quick .
To be fair,i rate Fien ahead of Peters and Kusto.

Minh

First Grade
Brad Fittler aged 17 (1989) Penrith, Laurie Daley aged 18 (1987)Canberra, Trent Barrett aged 18 at time of first grade debut (1996)Illawarra. All three exceptional talents brought into first grade early. If Jackson Hastings is that good we should bring him into first grade (2014 or 2015), he would be of a similar age to the above mentioned players.