What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale its time.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Nightingale at one time was my favourite player but now I'm starting to resent him. He shouldn't have played last year (or been selected in first grade), let alone this year.

Sorry for repeating myself, especially after a solid performance, but we can't win title with Lafai and these two wingers. Nor the coach, of course.

We will continue to get burned on the outside, especially down Nighty's wing. And the Storm did it quite easily, could have even been worse. Scoreline flattered us (4 tries to 3, after all).

Before anyone jumps down my throat:
1. I was at the game;
2. I was pleased with the result;
3. Although quality of game wasn't too high.

Nighty must go.

Straight Shooter

I agree with this partially.

Sure, it was concerning that the Storm scored with easy...almost at will...down the right hand side, but to blame just one person (Nightingale) is wrong.

That ENTIRE aside of the field was not only too compressed, it was guilty of 'ball watching'.

And, given both Nightingale and Aitken aren't the strongest defensively, one wonders why Hunt is allowed to be with them?

It's a deadset recipe for disaster.

For right or wrong, Nightingale is being singled out but it wouldn't matter even if Usain Bolt was there - these issues (plural) need to be addressed.

As you've pointed out, in terms of tries scored, it was four to three only.

Sometimes a scoreboard can masquerade many difficulties.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench

Sure, it was concerning that the Storm scored with easy...almost at will...down the right hand side, but to blame just one person (Nightingale) is wrong.

That ENTIRE aside of the field was not only too compressed, it was guilty of 'ball watching'.

And, given both Nightingale and Lafai aren't the strongest defensively, one wonders why Hunt is allowed to be with them?

For right or for wrong, Nightingale is being singled out but it wouldn't matter even if Usain Bolt was there - these issues (plural) need to be addressed.

Three tries in 80 minutes isn't "almost at will" Saint Jimmy.

In Reggie's, our team with Lomax in it have had 7 tries scored against them, and just as many down Lomaxs side.

Nighty is still our best winger.

You can bag Flo, but the fact is Aldo Carr has been doing that to wingers all year, and will continue to, he’s a speed machine.
Flo still ran for 112 metres yesterday, most of that the hard yards bringing the ball out of trouble, mistake free runs, he’s worth his weight in gold for that alone.

The 4 tries to 3 aspect doesn’t really matter when you win by 20, it just shows the Storm we’re so flustered by our attack they gave away 5 penalties in attacking positions.

Dufty is still a work in progress, him being pushed out over the sideline was disappointing, but if he stops looking for gaps and having a go he’s letting the team down.
I counted at least twice where he was backing up yesterday and if the pass had been popped he would have been away, that’s a good sign.
Not a good sign was him and Nene again getting confused over who should catch the ball, letting bombs bounce is a recipe for disaster, that needs to be fixed.

You can bag Aitken for his passing game, but jeez when you have his strength to get through the lines you don’t need to pass much, he did score two tries yesterday.

Sure, look for the negatives, there is always room for improvement, but we beat the Storm by 20 on a beautiful Sunday afternoon at Kogarah in front of 19000 screaming fans, I’ll just bask in that for the moment.

ouryears

Bench
You can bag Flo, but the fact is Aldo Carr has been doing that to wingers all year, and will continue to, he’s a speed machine.
Flo still ran for 112 metres yesterday, most of that the hard yards bringing the ball out of trouble, mistake free runs, he’s worth his weight in gold for that alone.

The 4 tries to 3 aspect doesn’t really matter when you win by 20, it just shows the Storm we’re so flustered by our attack they gave away 5 penalties in attacking positions.

Dufty is still a work in progress, him being pushed out over the sideline was disappointing, but if he stops looking for gaps and having a go he’s letting the team down.
I counted at least twice where he was backing up yesterday and if the pass had been popped he would have been away, that’s a good sign.
Not a good sign was him and Nene again getting confused over who should catch the ball, letting bombs bounce is a recipe for disaster, that needs to be fixed.

You can bag Aitken for his passing game, but jeez when you have his strength to get through the lines you don’t need to pass much, he did score two tries yesterday.

Sure, look for the negatives, there is always room for improvement, but we beat the Storm by 20 on a beautiful Sunday afternoon at Kogarah in front of 19000 screaming fans, I’ll just bask in that for the moment.

Beautifully put mate

Dragons22

Juniors
Don’t want to get all political here, but I felt as if this video was relevant with the thread title.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee

And, given both Nightingale and Lafai aren't the strongest defensively, one wonders why Hunt is allowed to be with them?

For right or for wrong, Nightingale is being singled out but it wouldn't matter even if Usain Bolt was there - these issues (plural) need to be addressed.

Lafai is on the left, Nightingale is on the right. So they arent together, and Hunt, isnt with them. Also, Hunt is perfectly fine defensively.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Not gonna jump down your throat, I do however think Lafai was good today and is a bit underrated in defence this year. He and Nene are building a nice combo

Nighty problem needs fixing asap I agree

I agree with both comments but re nighty.
It is not all his fault his inside men including both frizz and atken are also at fault.
It a communication problem they sould be moving as one.
And communicating who taking how ect.
There is a breakdown somewhere and must be fixed.
As for lafai he was great today and had one of his better games.
Don't forget our spine has only been together for this season.
The best part is that we are winning and we still have a lot of improvement to come.
The rabbits next week will be a big challenge there are in good form.
So enjoy the ride

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Lafai is on the left, Nightingale is on the right. So they arent together, and Hunt, isnt with them. Also, Hunt is perfectly fine defensively.

Fair enough, my post should've referenced Nightingale, Aitken and Hunt.

But if you reckon Hunt is "perfectly fine defensively", I suggest you have another look.

MilanDragon

Juniors
You people never cease to amaze me. Maybe I’m loyal to a fault but there’s no way Nighty should be dropped right now - and at least not because we conceded 3 tries on his side.

Out of those 3, at least 2 if not all would’ve been scored against any side.

Some of you say Nighty should just worry about his winger and if Aitken/Frizz make a mistake they will be exposed - to me that sounds very selfish, something that Nighty isn’t. He’s a team player.

The reality is how many of those tries would Lomax have stopped today or Mann stopped? Yes Nighty doesn’t offer much in the way of an X factor but he’s not going to see much ball on the outside of Aitken, so neither would Lomax or Mann.

Moving Mann out to the wing would in my opinion be a mistake as he’s too valuable doing the utility role off the bench. That leaves Lomax, who would’ve then conceded 3 tries today and everyone would have either been calling for his head or saying ‘that’s okay JAC does that to everyone anyway’

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Our points differential is +142 which is 61 ahead of the next best team (the Storm who we just pumped by 20)

We masquerade issues by being excellent in every other area and ensuring it doesn’t cost us games.

Hence we are 8-1 and now clear premiership favourites.

Four tries to three.