What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT- NZ Election

JJ

Immortal
This is not how MMP is supposed to work - major parties being arse raped, Greens ensuring their irrelevance, and Peters effectively running the show with 7% - just a f**king joke

Leber

Bench
It'd be a real shame if he goes with the Greens. Although with Winston anythings possible.

Rich102

Staff member
Bill English on breakfast news says that they have only had policy discussions with Winston, no agreement on makeup of a government. So if N Z First are meeting today to rubber stamp a new arrangement then it can't be with National.

Juju

Juniors
IF NZF goes with Labour / Greens - National only have themselves to blame. Trying to leak damaging intel on Winston Peters and more crucially swallowing up any possible coalition partners....

JJ

Immortal
At this stage it's not clear whether the winner who Winston chooses, or the others...

And why would you criticise National for trying to beat and bury NZ First (the allegations of info release are just that) - Labour tried to beat and bury the Greens... just the Greens to too gormless to respond in any way other than to be Labour's lap dog

Both National and Labour have been useless around this - Ardern patently isn't ready and would be well served to assemble a better group around her for next time, and English risks ruining whatever legacy he has by getting into bed with Winston

The Greens really should have just pretended they were interested in working with National, if only to take some of the power from Peters. And both big parties should have declined to participate in this farce (again)

Seriously need to tweak the MMP system to avoid this hijacking

JJ

Immortal
NZ First Board

nzfboardproper-560x374.jpg

Juju

Juniors
And why would you criticise National for trying to beat and bury NZ First (the allegations of info release are just that) - Labour tried to beat and bury the Greens... just the Greens to too gormless to respond in any way other than to be Labour's lap dog

Both National and Labour have been useless around this - Ardern patently isn't ready and would be well served to assemble a better group around her for next time, and English risks ruining whatever legacy he has by getting into bed with Winston

The Greens really should have just pretended they were interested in working with National, if only to take some of the power from Peters. And both big parties should have declined to participate in this farce (again)

Seriously need to tweak the MMP system to avoid this hijacking
The thing is the "allegations" are made by the very person they are now begging to side with them. Dumb politics IMO and worthy of criticism.
Labour didn't run a smear campaign against the Greens.

Good on the Greens for being true to their political convictions - The National Party should try that some time.

All this butthurt over MMP too... FPP in 1993 had National winning 35%-ish of the popular vote but winning more electorates and governing. MMP is better than that.
Perhaps its time to move to no 5% threshold.

Benek

Juniors
I thought the USA had the shyte system.

7%, kiwis never stop surprising me.
I'm from the states and MMP is so far superior to what they've got, we cannot really complain. At least we have some thriving minor parties instead of a terrible polarising two-party system. Kiwi's don't even know how good they've got it.

You can't really fault MMP for the situation we are in with NZ First having too much power. That's not a weekness of the system, just a byproduct of the current political spectrum. The right wing party didn't quite get enough votes to govern alone. The left block of parties didn't quite get there either. It just so happens that there's one party who has somehow managed to stay neutral enough that they can play both sides.

I'd take that system any day of the week over the US situation of having to pick the lesser of two evils every time and no chance of a third party ever having any power to keep things in check.

Sure we could have it better if we used ranked choice, or lowered the 5% threshold. But overall it's a damn good voting system and I love proportional representation.

Leber

Bench
MMP is one of the better systems going. It's not MMP's fault we are in this situation, it's the 7% of people who voted Winnie.

JJ

Immortal
T

All this butthurt over MMP too... FPP in 1993 had National winning 35%-ish of the popular vote but winning more electorates and governing. MMP is better than that.
Perhaps its time to move to no 5% threshold.

It's not butt hurt - the system is being rorted - yes, definitely the 5% bar should go, agree with you on that

As I said, not sure I care who Winston chooses, whoever it is is signing a death wish