What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers sack Griffin 4 weeks from finals

Jimmy Clark

Juniors
Very very interesting interview on NRL 360, Griffin not a perfect coach, he admitted it, he grew the team with a few young blokes coming through the system. Gould had a different opinion, then Gould sacks him. Any coach who goes to the Panthers, beware, Gus is control freak.

Tiger5150

Bench
The way I see it people just want to turn Gus into the villain because it's easy to do. Tigers fans don't want to face the fact that maybe Ivan wants to do what he thinks is best for his son more than anything else.

Will cost his son hundreds of thousands of $$$$$$$$$

But he will be there to hold his hand. Sometimes good parenting is knowing when to let go

Xcalibre

Juniors
Interesting that Griffin said the club basically had to start from scratch when he arrived, yet he also said Ivan Cleary did some "hard yards" the previous 4 yearsand that it would be good for him to go back hahaha

Tommy Smith

Referee
The Tigers should troll Penrith and the Cleary's by offering a swap deal...

Ivan Cleary for Nathan Cleary. And maybe throw in Robbie Rochow to really rub salt into the wound.

OldPanther

Coach
Interesting that Griffin said the club basically had to start from scratch when he arrived, yet he also said Ivan Cleary did some "hard yards" the previous 4 yearsand that it would be good for him to go back hahaha

He's lying but people will take his side because he's the opposite of Gus.

Tiger5150

Bench
I’ve been in the “is Cleary really worth it” club for a while. I want him to get a lot better before we throw everything at him. I never rated Ivan’s style of football but having said that he’s the best of a bad bunch of available coaches

Available? As in still under contract for 2 and a bit years after convincing 12 of the current 17 squad at the Tigers to sign and commit to his plan, some moving their family from overseas kind of available?

Tiger5150

Bench
The weird thing about this is I honestly think Michael McGuire and Penrith is a match made in heaven. Penrith have the squad (IMO) to win a comp and here’s a guy who’s had 5 years of NRL coaching with 1 Premiership, 3 Top 4 finishes and 4 semi finals.

He is a proven Authoritarian who Made every player under him better. Sign him on a 3 year deal and I’d be shocked if he didn’t bring them a Comp.

Ivan is a builder, he has a proven record at that, but he’s never taken a club that next step. Penrith don’t need a rebuild, they’re built and built bloody well. They now just need someone to finish it off.

Good point. Ive been thinking about Maguire at the Tigers if this all falls apart and I dont think he suits our current squad. The success he had at Souths was built on power with a bash and barge game with a massive, powerful but agile pack. Gee.....can I think of another team like that?